Estimate tips for cabin and wait staff for 7 day cruise

Are these salaries tax free?

Very interesting information re average salaries for room service attendants. I make less than that per month as a business travel consultant and still have to pay a mortgage, buy food and pay for all the necessary utilities to run the home.

I was always led to believe that the salary was far less than that, albeit this is for a 7 day week over a long continuous many month contract.

Oh btw we pre pay gratuities and never remove them.

Pete, that's not the salary that RC pays them. That's an estimate of what they can expect with the gratuities. RC pays them a barebones pittance. So "salary" would be the wrong word there.

Most of the staff with whom I and most people I know have spoken MUCH prefer the auto-tipping, as far fewer people stiff them under this system.

We have been told the same . We opted out of pre paying tips this time ( just cruised once previously ) and have decided just to tip individuals .

My question to you would be do you tip the individuals eg at meals times on a daily basis ? Does it make more sense to tip the cabin attendant at the start of the trip so they do a good job ( in fairness they always have ) ? Because previously the Expectation would be to tip everyone on the last night ? Any advise welcome thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Even though you are not prepaying them, you will be charged daily on the ship ( I think it's around $17-$19 a day). So don't think that you will have the option of tipping on your own.

Even though you are not prepaying them, you will be charged daily on the ship ( I think it's around $17-$19 a day). So don't think that you will have the option of tipping on your own.

This is not true, and has been explained in other posts.

In the past we left $15 per person on a seven day cruise. So two people, we left $30 and when we had three people, we left $45

Was this per day or for the entire 7 days, also was this in addition to the billed gratuities or in place of?

Sure hope it wasn't for the entire cruise.

Was this per day or for the entire 7 days, also was this in addition to the billed gratuities or in place of?

Sure hope it wasn't for the entire cruise.

I was thinking the same thing.

My opinion.......stop calling them tips. Add the same amounts to the cruise charge calling it something like "service fees". People can then give a tip if they'd like to but not required.

It´s the same amount, as it´s broken down per Person per day. If you think about it, you will realize that it makes sense. Even if it´s just one cabin there is 4 beds to be made up every day and actually the 3rd and 4th bed are most likely be more work, as they might have to convert a Sofa bed back and forth between bed and Sofa every day, or stow away the Bunks.

However not all of the tip goes to the cabin attendant and there is part of it going to all the wait Team around the ship. So I guess all 4 of you will utilize the various eating venues, which are covered in the Auto tip.

If you are sailing solo, are you charged for one or two guests for the auto-gratuity? Thanks in advance.

Sure hope it wasn't for the entire cruise.[/quote

Not daily. On the last day, we leave this amount in the envelope they give you.

Sure hope it wasn't for the entire cruise.[/quote

Not daily. On the last day, we leave this amount in the envelope they give you.

Thanks for clarifying.

Sorry but to remove standard gratuities and leave $15 per person for the week to cover all staff in my opinion is terrible.