Estimate tips for cabin and wait staff for 7 day cruise

Can any one tell me what the average total amount for tips for a 7 day cruise is. Thank you much (Cabin attendant and wait staff)

The per person charge per day is $12.95 unless in a full suite, when it is $15.95.

Therefore, 7 times 12.95 is $90.65 For a couple, that is $181.30.

Flashcat - if you're asking what Royal adds to the bill for daily gratuities, you have your answer.

If you're asking what people tip beyond that - well, you're just opening yourself up to an awful lot of conflicting opinions on here.

I give my cabin steward at least $20 in cash the first day. If he/she follows through through the cruise, then he/she gets more.

If I'm doing traditional dining my waiter and assistant waiter get anywhere from an extra $10 to $20. Sometimes more. Depends on the service.

Edited by MattInFLL

Can any one tell me what the average total amount for tips for a 7 day cruise is. Thank you much (Cabin attendant and wait staff)

A interesting question as already stated Royal adds 12.95 or $15.95 per person to your sea account and claims they will "spread" the tips to the people who them. And most people like sheep just agree and pay the bill.

I remove the auto tipping from my bill and pay the staff members that I feel have earned a tip. Just doing your job is not earning a tip.... for just doing your job Royal should be paying you, not me.

Tipping is a very American thing, when you leave the United States you find much less tipping, except from Americans who are lead to believe tipping is normal. These are not American Flagged ships, not US Workers and have not earned a US standard.

And before others start posted about me being heartless and not caring...etc... etc...etc.... You do what you want but never try to tell me what I must do.

We have been told the same . We opted out of pre paying tips this time ( just cruised once previously ) and have decided just to tip individuals .

My question to you would be do you tip the individuals eg at meals times on a daily basis ? Does it make more sense to tip the cabin attendant at the start of the trip so they do a good job ( in fairness they always have ) ? Because previously the Expectation would be to tip everyone on the last night ? Any advise welcome thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A interesting question as already stated Royal adds 12.95 or $15.95 per person to your sea account and claims they will "spread" the tips to the people who them. And most people like sheep just agree and pay the bill.

I remove the auto tipping from my bill and pay the staff members that I feel have earned a tip. Just doing your job is not earning a tip.... for just doing your job Royal should be paying you, not me.

Tipping is a very American thing, when you leave the United States you find much less tipping, except from Americans who are lead to believe tipping is normal. These are not American Flagged ships, not US Workers and have not earned a US standard.

And before others start posted about me being heartless and not caring...etc... etc...etc.... You do what you want but never try to tell me what I must do.

I find this fascinating. A very large part of employees are from the Philippines. :eek:

The expectation is still that tipping will be done on the last night.

The daily tips go to your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter.

Remember the days of having an envelope in your cabin specifically for tipping the maitre d's??? I always wondered WHY??? :confused:

The poster is from the Philippines. It wasn't a derogatory remark, just an observance.

I live in the Philippines and have lived in SE Asia for about 15 years. But I am not a Filipino, I am from The United States Boston, Ma, born, raised, college and worked in the United States until moving to Asia.

And yes many of the Royal crew are from the Philippines, Royal has a plan to add 30,000 more over the next five years. The Philippines is a great place to find good English speaking workers. They have a major recruitment center inside the Mall of Asia in Manila.

I would estimate they will get 500 applications for every worker that makes it to the crew, why is this? Because even with a four year college education most non professional workers are paid minimum wage in Manila that is 385 Pesos per day or US$8.25 or about $1.00 US per hour. So when offered room board and what they see as a very large wage with Royal they take it.

Working for Royal is a great job for a worker from the Philippines.

Edited by Expat Cruise

I live in the Philippines and have lived in SE Asia for about 15 years. But I am not a Filipino, I am from The United States Boston, Ma, born, raised, college and worked in the United States until moving to Asia.

And yes many of the Royal crew are from the Philippines, Royal has a plan to add 30,000 more over the next five years. The Philippines is a great place to find good English speaking workers. They have a major recruitment center inside the Mall of Asia in Manila.

I would estimate they will get 500 applications for every worker that makes it to the crew, why is this? Because even with a four year college education most non professional workers are paid minimum wage in Manila the is 385 Pesos per day or US$8.25 or about $1.00 US per hour. So when offered room board and what they see as a very large wage with Royal they take it.

Working for Royal is a great job for a worker from the Philippines.

WOW...Very interesting and sad at the same time. At the risk of sounding "sided" ....out of all the nationalities .....we find Filipinos to be the NICEST workers on every cruise ship we have been on. Thank you for your in put. :) You learn something everyday.

Edited by champagne123
xxxx

For us the auto tipping pre paid ahead of sailing is one less fee we have to worry about being included when we settle the bill at the end of the sailing.

Especially this year with no OBC.

Works for us.

Safe travels.

I'm thinking of doing the same, paying cash to our room attendant and servers. How do you have the automatic gratuities removed?

I'm thinking of doing the same, paying cash to our room attendant and servers. How do you have the automatic gratuities removed?

Just go to guest services and tell them you want to remove the automatic gratuities. While they have no choice they may ask you why, in your cash you are just paying in cash. But you are not required to tell them why or give a reason.

You can go to guest services and request. They may ask for a reason, such as poor service, which is a shame if not true. If indeed services are a problem you should discuss first with a supervisor.

It is really simpler to leave automatic tips in place. Automatic gratuities cover some people you may never see. Also saves carrying cash each time you go to eat. Automatic gratuities cover all eating venues - not just your dining room waiters.

Just go to guest services and tell them you want to remove the automatic gratuities. While they have no choice they may ask you why, in your cash you are just paying in cash. But you are not required to tell them why or give a reason.

Thanks for the info.

What about the 18% they tacked onto our drink package purchase? Any way we can get that? I usually cash tip the bartenders also.

I remove the auto tipping from my bill and pay the staff members that I feel have earned a tip.

My understanding is even when you tip individually, those individuals are required to put those tips into the shared pool. So even though you may think you are only rewarding those individuals that earned the tip, it may not be working out the way you think.

We leave the auto tips on our bill. Then we like to pay our servers and room steward extra at the end of the trip. They have always in our 20 plus years of cruising done an excellent job. We feel blessed to be on vacation (cruising) and want to be a blessing to others! Just the way we roll….! (and in no way are we rich… but compared to other places in the world, yes, Americans are all rich!;))

Thanks for the info.

What about the 18% they tacked onto our drink package purchase? Any way we can get that? I usually cash tip the bartenders also.

I really wish I could find a way but it is not optional and is handled as a service fee. The only way I believe it will change is if a class action lawsuit is filed and gets certification, then you will see a change really fast.

My understanding is even when you tip individually, those individuals are required to put those tips into the shared pool. So even though you may think you are only rewarding those individuals that earned the tip, it may not be working out the way you think.

I am not naive enough to believe that if I hand a 20 or a 50 dollar bill to a server or room attendant that it's not going straight into their pocket and not to some "tip jar".

I've never heard it mentioned, but just how much does a server or room attendant make on these ships, before tips?

Edited by IndyKid