Walking Assistance

BonnieH

My BF is recovering from major hip surgery that he had in October 2015. He uses a walking stick (because as he says...canes aren't cool :o ) for walking long distance. I've searched through the Carnival site and can't find an answer to my question....

Will he be allowed to bring on his walking stick? Or will he have to suck it up and use a cane? I'm wondering if security would consider it a weapon and confiscate it if we try to check in with it.

thanks!

On board he may PREFER a cane, anyway.

Decks and floors in buffets can be, and are slippery.

A walking stick is great on cement, or open trails, but you may find the rubberized pad on the cane to be a benefit for navigating wet decks, and buffet line circumstances.

Also those long romantic walks on the Promenade...definitely a cane.

On board he may PREFER a cane, anyway.

Decks and floors in buffets can be, and are slippery.

A walking stick is great on cement, or open trails, but you may find the rubberized pad on the cane to be a benefit for navigating wet decks, and buffet line circumstances.

Also those long romantic walks on the Promenade...definitely a cane.

Thanks. This walking stick has a rubber bottom, so I don't think the wet decks will be a problem. I'm leaning more towards the cane so that we don't have any issues at check in

I highly recommend a cane. Not only is it cool but you will find on shore that a cane automatically creates a safety zone around you. I at age 77 do not in any way need a cane but I always take one with me when traveling. I use a fine mahogany cane with a silver top and tip. Nice and heavy and in places like New York City where no defensive tools are allowed except canes it just may come in handy. On the islands it will keep those who have their hands out away also.

Enjoy the trip.

I used a walking stick all throughout our last cruise and had no problem at all. The staff and most sober passengers were very accommodating. It had a rubber bottom and worked fine on the ship and on shore. I overheard several people say they wished they had thought to bring a walking stick- especially when the water was choppy.

I received the same courtesy and accommodation that I would have with a cane or crutches.

I have a hand carved walking stick that I carry because sometimes my left knee 'slips'. I have been looking for a cane, distinctive, but the man who made my stick moved away after his wife died. But last month we were on Fascination and had a stop in Freeport ( inserted because we missed HMC). There were a couple of wood carvers in the straw market area, and I bought a cane at one place. It was too tall, but he sawed it of to my specification, and slipped on the rubber tip. Now I have alternatives. EM

Check to see if your airline allows the walking stick.I know that they require that a cane has to go in the overhead bin.

Thanks, but we won't need to fly...we live about 20 minutes from Port Canaveral :)

Thanks, but we won't need to fly...we live about 20 minutes from Port Canaveral :)

Well heck, he may want to bring both. I had my walking stick because I had torn a disc and was having horrible sciatica. It definately helped. I will probably bring it on all future cruises. Also I have never been stopped at an airport from bringing my walking stick. It either ends up in the overhead or in a closet once on the plane.

I have a hand carved walking stick that I carry because sometimes my left knee 'slips'. I have been looking for a cane, distinctive, but the man who made my stick moved away after his wife died. But last month we were on Fascination and had a stop in Freeport ( inserted because we missed HMC). There were a couple of wood carvers in the straw market area, and I bought a cane at one place. It was too tall, but he sawed it of to my specification, and slipped on the rubber tip. Now I have alternatives. EM

Unless it's moved, I've seen them outside at the far end of the straw market in Nassau heading to Senor Frogs.

I used a walking stick all throughout our last cruise and had no problem at all. The staff and most sober passengers were very accommodating. It had a rubber bottom and worked fine on the ship and on shore. I overheard several people say they wished they had thought to bring a walking stick- especially when the water was choppy.

I received the same courtesy and accommodation that I would have with a cane or crutches.

my dh has some mobility issues that keep him from walking quickly or for long distances. he always uses his cane as a balance aid on a rocking ship.

what I've noticed is that the cane warns others that he's not moving quickly and most are very courteous in accommodating him. we do try to be courteous in return thus if he gets tired we are sure to move out of the walkway to let others by.

he always requests wheelchair assistance embarking and disembarking which makes a world of difference for him - if he gets on board he's good to go at doing as much or as little as he wants.

• 1 month later...
my dh has some mobility issues that keep him from walking quickly or for long distances. he always uses his cane as a balance aid on a rocking ship.

what I've noticed is that the cane warns others that he's not moving quickly and most are very courteous in accommodating him. we do try to be courteous in return thus if he gets tired we are sure to move out of the walkway to let others by.

he always requests wheelchair assistance embarking and disembarking which makes a world of difference for him - if he gets on board he's good to go at doing as much or as little as he wants.

I began having mobility issues 2 years ago and foolishly left the cane home .I learned my lesson the "hard way".Now I always take the cane.