Latitudes Parties and UBP

roger001

On the Jewel last week, one of our bar servers was talking about the attendance at the Latitudes parties since the Unlimited Beverage Package has become so popular. He said attendance at them as dropped tremendously. On the Jewel last week, he said the Gold/Platinum party had only six attendees. He said each person had their own waiter. I had the UBP and did not go either. It used to be a chance to grab a bunch of free drinks for 45 minutes. Don't need it now with the UBP. He said the everyone Latitudes party used to require two sessions to accommodate everyone. He said that one was down to just a small one session now. I guess that confirms that it was about "free drinks".

AFAIK, there hasn't been any door prizes drawing at the Latitude parties (Gold/Platinum) lately - none on BA in 2014 or 2015. Maybe still true on the smaller ships - won a :p frisbee (by Del Sol) from the ship's gift shops (that was 2012) ... used to have free 7 nights NCL cruise for 2 given away, as the top door prize (that could explain a bigger crowd ... back in the Spinmaker Lounge days :D )

We had a # of different hors d'oeuvres with about 40 or 50 guests in Fat Cats - DW did bring a glass of wine along to our LeBistro dinner that evening since she didn't finish it. Let's see what the attendance is like this Spring as we will be on the BA again.

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...

There were plenty of people, red wine, white wine and rum punch served on the Spirit. They also had door prizes they offered. I can see how some only go for the free booze, but we had a nice time and danced a couple of dances. The musicians they had were good.

I think it also depends on the Hotel Director. We were on the Jewel last September and a very large group at the Latitudes party. Great drinks and great food. As I had just left the Meet & Greet, we had already heard all the staff talk but it was still good to go anyway

We were finishing entrees when someone in our group mentioned they were skipping dessert to go get ready for the Latitudes party. (It was the Gold & Platinum where they don't do a lot of talking or prizes & I believe it was Thursday night of a Sunday to Sunday Breakaway cruise.) There were 5 of us having dinner as solo cruisers - 3 had invites so we were going to bring one other with us. The non-invites decided to stay at dinner. We ran up, had a couple glasses of wine and then rejoined our group for dessert. Got to speak to a lot of officers at that party.

On Escape the Latitudes party was on Wednesday. I guess they only offer prizes on smaller ships? The party was very well attended. I didn't think the drinks were watered down at all, and in any event, it is hard to water down wine. The hors doevres were good too, and Silas the Cruise Director was very amiable and approachable.

On Escape the Latitudes party was on Wednesday. I guess they only offer prizes on smaller ships? The party was very well attended. I didn't think the drinks were watered down at all, and in any event, it is hard to water down wine. The hors doevres were good too, and Silas the Cruise Director was very amiable and approachable.

On my Jewel class sailings, it has been a huge Latitude group in the Spinnaker lounge in the middle of the day for all levels. That event is more like a presentation where they introduce staff & tell about cruise rewards then they do some crappy prizes like champagne & photos & then you are free to dance or sit. Since there are so many Latitudes & the larger ships don't have a big enough space for everyone I think they just do the evening cocktail parties instead.

Roger, We are sailing on Spirit, Deck9, rm 9052. Your picture link no longer works. Can you show me the view off the balcony? Thank you.

I don't believe I have any Spirit pics. I was last on her about 6 years ago.

What level do you have to be to get invited?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Gold. I went with my father in law. We didn't have UBP so we each had two drinks there and took another glass to dinner.

I've always found the general latitudes party to be a big drink grab, but the gold/platinum party is always more subdued and personal. We've had great conversations with a variety of officers, but the best one was sailaway out of Nawiliwili on POA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk