I gotta rant about small ships and short cruises

amscene1

I was just recently on a NCL Sky 3 day cruise out of Miami and I have to say my days of short cruises especially on older ships are over. South Florida and most ports typically use their older ships on shorter itinerary and that's all fine and dandy but for heaven sakes these ships are neglected. I've been on all the 3 day weekend "party cruises" out of Miami. I have to say carnival offers the best ship of the 3 (fantasy class) . Well laid out and taken care of. NCL Sky is not updated, everything reminds me of a 70s or 80s ship, hard to believe it first sailed in 99. Majesty is the worst of the 3 old, ugly and plain. Plus who in the right mind would want to go on the empress of the seas, I couldn't imagine an even smaller ship than the ones in place, what are we regressing?

Sure I'm spoiled because I have sailed on bigger and newer ships and I know most people don't have that luxury time wise. But money wise it is just affordable. In fact, most of the time 7 days end up being cheaper then a 3and4 back-to-back.

Plus, what's more depressing than getting off a cruise in less than 72 hours, it takes me 2-3 days just to unwind and finally start relaxing.

The next time I rant it will be about how 7 days is too short.

I've done 10, 9 and 7 days and a weekend cruise... and while I did enjoy the Sky 3 day for what it was - I strongly prefer longer cruises. It is kind of a perfect length for a vacation. A weekend cruise it just that, a weekend. A weekend does not a vacation make, in my opinion.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

My favorite cruise was 14 nights in my aft PH on the Sun, which is pretty similar to the Sky. South America with an excursion to Antarctica. Will be tough to beat.

Edited by DMH15

We were on the Sky for a 4 day cruise back in early 2013. The captain at the time said the ship was due for a drydock later that year. So one has been done somewhat recently and I think I remember another post saying she's been back in the yards since.

That said, it just sounds like this wasn't the ship or itinerary for you. My wife and I were on the ship and loved it, but then again, we just aren't into the new megaships with all the stuff they have onboard. She was in great condition when we were on her and we even saw maintenance teams here and there doing work on her, so she definitely isn't neglected as far as we could tell.

Last 9 months I've spent 73 nights on cruise ships. Celebrity x 2, one on the then brand new Quantum of the seas and three times on NCL. Epic, breakaway and Sky.

Of the NCL ships I enjoyed the Sky the most. It felt like a real ship. Wrap around promenade, you could actually see the sky from the pool deck. Sure, slides are fun. But for how long?

I actually enjoyed the Sky so much I booked 35 night b2b next year on her sister, the Sun.

While I agree with you on short cruises, I would never book a 3 or 4 nighter.

I would barely be in vacation mode before it is over.

However I cannot disagree more about the ship size.

BIGGER DOES NOT MEAN BETTER.

Best ship experience ever was the 24,000 ton Nordic Prince.

Love the Disney Magic at 84,000 tons, NCL Spirit at 75,000 tons and the NCL Sun at 78,000.

I absolutely refuse to sail on any ship over 100,000 tons.

To each their own.

I have done the Sky 3 day one. Sure it is short, but it is close (5 hour drive) and fitted my needs (trial to try out NCL before a 7 day Sun (sister ship cruise). I usually go to Port Canaveral for RCL 3 day cruises. Its 1.5 hours drive and fits my needs to get away on quick weekend getaways to Bahamas. I have found all ships pretty much clean, no matter the line. Sure you will see some rust here and there, but I look beyond that and enjoy the time on the ship and at the ports.

Disney also offers a 3 day to the Bahamas and their private island. Totally enjoy Disney Cruise line as well.