Istanbul ,still viable?

Mrs Clooney

We will be on a river cruise that finishes in Istanbul in August. It is with Uniworld.

I have flights booked and paid for, that leave Istanbul and go onto another destination .

I am concerned that if this last part of the cruise package ( 2 days in Istanbul) is dropped, that we will be unable to get refunds on these flights. But I wonder if the government declared a " do not travel" warning to this area, could we get a refund? We have travel insurance but know that they will find any loophole not to pay ..

Any suggestions? Has anyone heard yet of river cruising companies dropping Turkey as a port of call..

We will be on a river cruise that finishes in Istanbul in August. It is with Uniworld.

I have flights booked and paid for, that leave Istanbul and go onto another destination .

I am concerned that if this last part of the cruise package ( 2 days in Istanbul) is dropped, that we will be unable to get refunds on these flights. But I wonder if the government declared a " do not travel" warning to this area, could we get a refund? We have travel insurance but know that they will find any loophole not to pay ..

Any suggestions? Has anyone heard yet of river cruising companies dropping Turkey as a port of call..

I know that some ocean cruise lines have dropped Istanbul as a port of call.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

Your travel insurance will very likely pay the change fees.

The terms for what is considered actual terrorism are very specific and the policy will detail these out. I would not make any assumptions. We always purchase travel protection and use Travel Guard and that is my frame of reference. YMMV

The terms for what is considered actual terrorism are very specific and the policy will detail these out. I would not make any assumptions. We always purchase travel protection and use Travel Guard and that is my frame of reference. YMMV

I am assuming if the cruise line cancel the port that would/could be totally different. If you purchased thru " Thetripinsurancestore " or similar call them and discuss the terms of your particular policy or call the TI company directly.

The German government has issued a warning for German travelling to Turkey. It says in short "avoid crowds of tourists" and "we strongly advise against travelling to the Eastern regions" they mean mainly those bordering on S...

Right now, I would carefully check with my insurance company and be prepared for eventualities.

notamermaid

This article was in the news today - The Pentagon is pulling families out of Turkey because of violence in the country. As others have said , I would call my travel insurance company to discuss your options. Sad and frightening times for travelers and the residents of these countries.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/03/29/pentagon-pulling-military-families-out-turkey/82382704/

This article was in the news today - The Pentagon is pulling families out of Turkey because of violence in the country. As others have said , I would call my travel insurance company to discuss your options. Sad and frightening times for travelers and the residents of these countries.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/03/29/pentagon-pulling-military-families-out-turkey/82382704/

OP, don't let hdcnm make you sad, frightened, or scare you.

The Pentagon is pulling families out of southern Turkey.

There are 14 million people in Istanbul, which is in northern Turkey, and they have layers of protection for their tourist industry.

What is your risk tolerance?

I would suggest you stay on course.

hdcnm, I don't know where you are from, but

if a bomb went off in Perth, would it prevent you from visiting Sydney?

Edited by $hip$hape

I certainly did not have any intention of frightening anyone - I just retuned from Israel and was also at the Syrian border. - I would not personally change my travel plans but each person has to consider their own concerns and needs.

hdcnm, I don't know where you are from, but

if a bomb went off in Perth, would it prevent you from visiting Sydney?

This is not a very apt analogy. Granted, the most dangerous parts of Turkey are in the eastern provinces and along the border with Syria which are far from Istanbul. Ankara has also recently been the target of several serious bombings. Nonetheless, in the past three months there have been two bombings in parts of Istanbul heavily frequented by tourists--in Sultanahmet in January and on Istiklal Avenue in March. Foreign tourists were killed in each incident.