Frustrations with NCL while planning a vow renewal. Help, please!

ClairBear226

Hello, all! I'm new here, and hoping for some help.

I am *attempting* to plan a vow renewal and cruise for my husband and I, our three daughters and their families for August 2017. We have chosen Alaska as our destination, and had initially thought the Norwegian Pearl would be a good fit for us, largely due to their itinerary and Freestyle dining style. We have cruised once before on the Disney Dream, and found it to be too "regimented" for our tastes in the dining department. Thus why we began looking elsewhere.

In trying to learn about what NCL can/ will do for a vow renewal, I'm finding it difficult to get any answers. Essentially, they don't seem to want to talk to me until the cruise is booked (which I won't be doing with them if they cannot be more forthcoming with information). The gentleman I've been in contact with via email has dodged my questions, and has repeatedly sent me the very same online vow renewal brochure I initially stated I had questions about. It has become clear that as a representative of NCL, he has no interest in my business.

I have a few questions. First, is this sort of "vague" the norm when trying to plan such an event? I read one review where the couple was delegated to conference room for their wedding ceremony, nearly leaving all involved in tears. I simply want to know what I can expect ahead of time before handing over my money. Yet NCL seems to have no intention of being helpful in this area. While I paid through the nose for Disney, I received far better treatment from customer service.

Second, is there someone specific I should be speaking to higher up the food chain, before I bail on this cruise line entirely? Would it be fair to send the emails to upper level management with a kind explanation of why they are not currently winning my business?

And lastly, is there another cruise line that I should look at that would better suit my needs, but still offer a more relaxed cruise?

Thank you for your time!

Romantic Memories at Sea

Celebrate the most important day of your life on board one of Norwegian Cruise Line's wonderful ships bound for paradise in the Bahamas, Caribbean, Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska or Europe. Every detail from the day you schedule your wedding to your ceremony and champagne toast will be handled for you. We've thought of everything, so you can enjoy your big day. Wherever you choose to say, "I do," we will make sure you do it in style.

View our Wedding Brochure, Vow Renewal Package or Honeymoon Registry.

Whether you want to exchange vows or vow to do it all over again, your wedding plans are a piece of cake with Norwegian Cruise Line's Wedding Planner. Choose to celebrate your special day with just the two of you, or together with family and friends, followed by a romantic reception package. With Norwegian Cruise Line the choice is yours.

Our services include:

Coordination with a Wedding Planner for your wedding

Ideal onboard ceremony locations

Flower bouquets and boutonnieres

Enhancements and décor

Wedding Photography packages

Officiants and Wedding Coordinators

Romantic vows

Norwegians private selection sparkling wine

Beautiful wedding cake choices

Keepsake Wedding Certificate

Romantic dinner for two

For additional information on, availability and package pricing, of Wedding Packages only, please contact Royal Ocean Events from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm PST Monday through Friday or call toll free: 1.866.786.9588, direct: 604.940.1181, or email us at ncl@royalwed.com.

If booking eight or more staterooms, you are eligible for a group cruise discount

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/wedding-and-romance

Many ships have done away with their small chapels so it only leaves conference rooms and locations on the ship. Maybe look at the deck plans of the Pearl and see if they still show a chapel. I know when my late husband and I were talking about doing a vow renewal I called and spoke with a wonderful lady. I don't have her name or I would give you that.

While I paid through the nose for Disney, I received far better treatment from customer service.

The two halves of this statement are directly related. You get what you pay for!

I love NCL but they do not offer the same hands-on service as Disney.

That said, assuming you find the right person to talk to and stick with NCL, I highly recommend at least someone in the group book in the Haven. Having a concierge and butler at your service can help make sure everything turns out as expected.

Don't know abou vow renewals on NCL, but my husband and I renewed our vows on the Disney Wonder and it was amazing. The service and the overall experience was simply wonderful. We had our ceremony on a private deck while docked in Nassau. It was beautiful.

For additional information on, availability and package pricing, of Wedding Packages only, please contact Royal Ocean Events from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm PST Monday through Friday or call toll free: 1.866.786.9588, direct: 604.940.1181, or email us at ncl@royalwed.com.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/wedding-and-romance

I deleted most of the information from the above post.

We are doing a wedding on the Spirit next month.

NCL is not who you need to contact for information.

Royal Ocean Events mentioned above does all of the planning and coordination with the cruise line special events staff.

From our experience NCL doesn't like to deal with individual vow/wedding parties. They prefer to deal with their contracted wedding planning company.

Mark

I'm not sure what exactly NCL does (or doesn't) do for a vow renewal but I do know the Pearl has a small chapel. We were just on the Pearl and saw a couple going into the chapel and they said they were renewing their vows for their 10th anniversary. She was carrying flowers and there was a small cake in the chapel. I'm sorry they weren't responsive to you. Hope you get it worked out.

Many ships have done away with their small chapels so it only leaves conference rooms and locations on the ship. Maybe look at the deck plans of the Pearl and see if they still show a chapel.

Thanks for your replies. I did check the deck plans. I've not found a chapel on the Pearl, though there is a library that looks like it would be suitable. Ideally, I'd love to have it on deck (is sunset too much to ask?), though I understand weather may be a factor, and music may not then be possible. I cannot get an answer about whether this is even a possibility , though. Or if the library is possible. Or information of any kind about where it could be performed.

NCL is not who you need to contact for information.

Royal Ocean Events mentioned above does all of the planning and coordination with the cruise line special events staff.

From our experience NCL doesn't like to deal with individual vow/wedding parties. They prefer to deal with their contracted wedding planning company.

I initially contacted Puneet at Royal Ocean Events, and she put me into contact with Angela at NCL, who seems to coordinate the special events for the Pearl. It seems that vow renewals and weddings are not handled by the same people. Angela has been most frustrating to deal with, and has come across as simply not wanting my business. I cannot get ANY kind of straight answer about where on board a vow renewal might be held (we're only looking at a max of 10 people, so surely this cannot be all that difficult?). Most likely I will look more diligently at other company offerings, as the first impression has been pretty off-putting. I would like to let the upper level management know about this, though. This is some crazy poor customer service. Any thoughts on who the information should go to?

Perhaps it has been mentioned and we missed it, but would you consider doing your vow renewal on shore instead of on the ship? There are many places that would make stunning backdrops for a renewal ceremony. It would not surprise us if you get more for your money plus a more enthusiastic response to your inquiries.

NCL Pearl is scheduled for dry dock in the winter of 2017, probably after the end of the Alaska season, with public areas like restaurants and lounges being redecorated and staterooms getting a modernization, being in service for about 10 years.

This is early on in your planning and it doesn't sound right nor smooth - what does that say or suggest ... down the road, I don't know and not trying to say, drop NCL now. But, the hints are here & there, just not on the walls in black & white yet, sorry to be blunt.

Take a good look at your plans, wishes, needs and overall budget - and, overall level of expectations and desire ... including the rest of the parties (10 people at most - how many cabins ??) You are sailing during the busy Alaska season on a popular ship that's typically full - maybe, they don't exactly care for the incremental revenues for such package ... think for a moment. How does that relate to NCL's current interpretation of "Freestyle Cruising" with all the rolling changes, some calling it nickles & dimes ?

Why not put out requests & look at other lines, including Holland & Princess (even Carnival) to see what they can do & offer - see how responsive they are in handling your requests ? Customer services has not been highly rated lately on the watchlist for NCL, if you skim thru some of the reviews & debated topics around here, go back a few mroe pages.

We cruise NCL on a fairly regular basis and are platinum, the corporate culture is different these days under new corporate management and board guidance ... and, I will get flame by the cheerleaders for sounding negative - so be it.

P.S. I see someone else just above my reply is basically saying the same, so I am not alone in the mindset. If you book two Haven 2 BR suite and tell them you have another $50,000 to sweeten your onboard spending, the butler & concierge onboard alone - on the Pearl (any ship, really) - would probably take good care of everything for you - well, at least, almost. Thanks to advanced telecommunications - I learned recently that cyber-ministry is often offered as an alternative for the faithful in times of needs.

Edited by mking8288

We did our 50th vow renewal on the Breakaway last June. It took place on our son's Haven wrap around balcony. Didn't know what to expect but it was absolutely amazing and worth every penny. We had a total of 8 people. They moved all deck furniture, had two pillars set up with white flowers, a table set up for cake cutting, table for champagne toast, a white bouquet, a red carpet for me walking down aisle with music playing. There was an officer officiating the ceremony and two ladies taken care of everything. We went with their vow renewal wording, then we both did our personal ones. After ceremony our grandson from his phone with speakers played our wedding song and we all danced. We paid $500 for renewal. With package you only get one picture to pick out of whatever was taken on ship randomly (no photographer with package, so we opted for one for an extra $100) our son bought us a package and we picked out what we wanted and also bought the digital drive. It was all done professionally and beautifully. Everyone including the two ladies were in tears only dry eyes were the officer and photographer. We all have wonderful memories. Hope this helps with your decision.

Next time you call tell them you just authorized your Ta to book you depending on the answers you get from him

Or

Say your sil is doing or did the booking and is currently out of the country and she hasn't sent you the confirmations yet

Or

Say you are booking this as a surprise for your husband and are booking it at 2 am so he won't see you do this. Tell him that you are a retired couple and your husband trails behind you all day

Or better yet

Actually book the cruise....put the deposits.....on a credit card of course....names etc....then call....if you dont like the responses....cancel your cruise. Lol

Based on your scenario you should obviously be doing this well before final/full payment.

Many many ways to get info from people....

Just remember to ask the questions in a way that will benefit you....not them

I see that others have posted a link for you but the point I am making is that.....there is always a way to get the info you need from people

Edited by luvtheships

It would seem to me you are somewhat "high maintenance" and I don't say that in a derogatory way. However, I infer from your posts you are looking for very detailed guarantees about things they cannot guarantee (i.e. venue... read the brochures and it tells you the location may or may not be private and may change depending upon ship/itinerary/other events).

Such events are not their bread and butter and you are clearly seeing that by your perception of their customer service. As much as you want to send off an email to the powers that be about how disappointed you are, the result will simply be nothing more than a "form letter" apology.

If you don't feel special, valued and esteemed by NCL's not-as-excited-as-you handling of the event, you will likely need to look elsewhere. At this point NCL has failed you and it would be doubtful they will be able to overcome the disappointment you've experienced to date.

First of all, if you are bringing at least 2 other couples (your adult children, for example) you might consider booking the Garden Villa on the Pearl or you might book an owner's suite for you and your husband. The advantage of the Garden Villa is that it is beautiful and you can hold your vow renewal in there either on the private deck or in the living room(where there is a player grand piano!) Here is a video of the Garden Villa:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=garden+villa+on+ncl+pearl&view=detail&mid=1C2E094CE082D3918C421C2E094CE082D3918C42&FORM=VIRE

The Garden Villa sleeps 8.

The owner suites and also the villas on the Pearl are also beautiful spaces where you can hold such a ceremony. The Owner Suites have a beautiful living room and dining room where snacks and champagne can be set up.

You don't need NCL's help for a vow renewal at all. All you need is someone willing to perform the ceremony such as your adult son or son in law or daughter or daughter in law or a friend or you can write your own vows and say them to each other. The suites on NCL come with a flower arrangement - if you are in the Garden Villa it will be huge. Or you can order a couple of arrangements off of the NCL website. You CAN also bring flowers onboard in Seattle (go to Pike's Market on the waterfront - very close to the cruise terminal) and there you can get bouquet and a boutinier made and pick them up the morning of your cruise - here is a florist at Pike's Market:

http://pikeplaceflowers.com/home/index.cfm

Your suite will have a refrigerator you can stow the bouquet in if you wish. (You are not allowed to take the flowers off the ship, however.) If your anniversary date is late in the cruise, I would just order the red roses from NCL and make my own bouquet and boutinnier out of that (bring floral shears, floral tape and some ribbon - this should only take a few minutes to do.)

Alternatively, you could consider something more lasting such as a vintage broach bouquet:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/261862596/red-wedding-brooch-bouquet-ivory-and?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=broach%20bouquet&ref=sr_gallery_19

Or a seashell bouquet:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189234856/seashell-wedding-bouquet-heart-of-the?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=seashell%20bouquet&ref=sr_gallery_4

For your vow renewal date, make a dinner reservation for your entire party in Le Bistro or Cagney's - these are the two nicest restaurants onboard. I think Le Bistro is the prettiest venue and I like their food best of all NCL restaurants (it's French). Cagney's is a traditional steak house. You can make a reservation for 6 guests online and then have someone else in your party make a reservation for however many more will be in your party.

If you tell your Butler that a certain day is your anniversary, he will bring a small cake to your suite free of charge. Also put down your anniversary on the NCL website and you will likely get another cake at the restaurant that evening (mention it to the maitre'd to make sure it happens as you enter the restaurant.) Onboard you can also make an appointment for a ship's photographer to be present during your ceremony - just ask them to do a photo shoot in your suite or have a member of the family do the photos.

This is JMO, but these cruise ships charge a lot of money for vow renewals that can be easily done by yourselves in a great location that you choose (your suite.) A vow renewal is not a legal ceremony, so you don't need an officiant. Here is a link to 4 typical vow renewal ceremonies:

http://www.themarriageman.com/renewal.htm

My Best Friend is getting married on the Gem in less than 30 days. We absolutely had to book our cruise cabins first. We used a travel agent to book. Once the bride/groom booked their cabin, they were assigned a coordinator to work with for the event. They didn't talk to anyone prior to the cruise cabin booking. NCL notified them 45 days prior to the cruise sailing date of the time/room/place of the event. There's several forms the bride filled out before they got the time/room/place of the event. Things are much different than one would think. Once we check in and get on the ship, they are then directed to a staff member on the ship with NCL to go over a dry'run of the ceremony.

I think what the OP is looking for just isn't the norm for this type of event.

First of all, if you are bringing at least 2 other couples (your adult children, for example) you might consider booking the Garden Villa on the Pearl or you might book an owner's suite for you and your husband. The advantage of the Garden Villa is that it is beautiful and you can hold your vow renewal in there either on the private deck or in the living room(where there is a player grand piano!) Here is a video of the Garden Villa:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=garden+villa+on+ncl+pearl&view=detail&mid=1C2E094CE082D3918C421C2E094CE082D3918C42&FORM=VIRE

http://www.themarriageman.com/renewal.htm

This is a great idea -- especially if you are not looking to the cruise line for their services for the renewal ceremony. Great idea!!! We were told we cannot take flowers on the ship so she ordered the roses from NCL.