Platinum Laundry Questions

My wife and I will be Platinum for the first time on our upcoming April 8 Sunshine cruise. We have never used the ships laundry services before. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a certain way that one needs to indicate you are platinum and qualify for the "free" service?

2. How long does it take to get your laundry back?

3. I am a little concerned with using the service for "better" quality items. Do they wash everything on hot? Do they separate colors?

Any thoughts, advice, tips are appreciated!:)

My wife and I will be Platinum for the first time on our upcoming April 8 Sunshine cruise. We have never used the ships laundry services before. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a certain way that one needs to indicate you are platinum and qualify for the "free" service? I always write Platinum on the bag but I don't think you need to, you will put your folio number on the bag and that is how they know you are Platinum

2. How long does it take to get your laundry back? I call my steward usually around 9 am and let him know it is ready and I always get it back that evening.

3. I am a little concerned with using the service for "better" quality items. Do they wash everything on hot? Do they separate colors? Do NOT send delicates or sensitive items. Everything is washed together and everything is washed on hot. Last cruise I accidentily sent a nice t shirt and it came back shrunk and evidently the water or heat was so hot there was a very thin spot on it like it was burned.

You will each get 3 bags on an 8 day cruise. Make sure you put your name and folio number on 3 and then the next 3 your wife's name and folio on the rest.

1. Is there a certain way that one needs to indicate you are platinum and qualify for the "free" service?

3. I am a little concerned with using the service for "better" quality items. Do they wash everything on hot? Do they separate colors?

1. You put your VFP # on the laundry bag. They know that it's free.

2. The laundry has always been back before dinner.

3. I don't send anything of "better" quality for the laundry service. I can't give you specifics, but the clothes don't feel quite the same as when I launder them at home. Nothing has ever been damaged, but I'm selective in what I send.

This is how they do the laundry...

All of your stuff is put in a mesh bag. Everybody else's stuff is put in a mesh bag.

The mesh bags are put in the washer until full. I think they use hot water for all. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I never put anything "dainty" in the wash.

Edited by KenMo

I rarely send any of my things, but my DH likes to get his underwear and t shirts and shorts done before we go home. They are clean, slightly wrinkled and no fabric softner/

Edited by sandij

Thank you, everyone for the information!

Hi there

Most people seem to have never had issues.

We have not always received our clothes back the same day, even when the cabin steward took the bag away early.

One day it didn't come back the second day. We asked the steward but he couldn't remember. He found our bag later that evening, I believe he just misplaced it.

It is normally great service and you can't ask for better than free, but I wouldn't include anything delicate or expensive..

They do a great job. I think they use lye. Don't send delicates. Out in morning back by dinner time.

OP are you on our roll call? We have 182 registered for CCL meet and greet and a bunch of activities scheduled on fb.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

I feel I need to add info to question #1 - on the laundry form, we fill out the info at the top left, just like anyone else who is sending laundry. On the top right of the form is a shaded area. Ours have been either light blue or gray. There is a line for Diamond and Platinum guests to write the folio number. Below that in the white area are two boxes to check, one for same day laundry and one for next day laundry. We always check same day.

#2 - Our laundry has been returned anywhere from mid-afternoon to waiting for us after we return late at night, put there during evening turn-down service.

#3 - We only send laundry that we wash and dry at home, like undies, pj's and nightgowns, socks, hubby's shorts, etc. Anything that is 100% cotton usually stays home or we wash in a machine ourselves using cold water and hang dry in the cabin.

Advice - I roll each item in a tight roll, like a cigar. I place the bag standing up on the floor between my feet. I then place one row of rolls perpendicular to the bottom of the bag. I add another row parallel to the bottom of the bag on top of the first row and keep going that way until big items are in. I tuck socks and other small things, like my undies, in between the rolls. My record is 28 items send dirty in one bag, arrived clean in three bags. :D

I feel I need to add info to question #1 - on the laundry form, we fill out the info at the top left, just like anyone else who is sending laundry. On the top right of the form is a shaded area. Ours have been either light blue or gray. There is a line for Diamond and Platinum guests to write the folio number. Below that in the white area are two boxes to check, one for same day laundry and one for next day laundry. We always check same day.

#2 - Our laundry has been returned anywhere from mid-afternoon to waiting for us after we return late at night, put there during evening turn-down service.

#3 - We only send laundry that we wash and dry at home, like undies, pj's and nightgowns, socks, hubby's shorts, etc. Anything that is 100% cotton usually stays home or we wash in a machine ourselves using cold water and hang dry in the cabin.

Advice - I roll each item in a tight roll, like a cigar. I place the bag standing up on the floor between my feet. I then place one row of rolls perpendicular to the bottom of the bag. I add another row parallel to the bottom of the bag on top of the first row and keep going that way until big items are in. I tuck socks and other small things, like my undies, in between the rolls. My record is 28 items send dirty in one bag, arrived clean in three bags. :D

We have also discovered rolling but nothing close to 28 items in a bag.

Always tell room steward the night before we have laundry and always get it back around 5 30 the next day.

Do a fine job with my stuff and DW will only send her basic stuff no expensive clothing.

Make sure you fill out the laundry form. We always take a picture or two of what's being sent out. Mom has a story about the steward walking around to every cabin asking if 'this red shirt' was their's'.

Only send out things that have been previously washed and can be washed and dried on hot. The stuff is sent thru a mangle for drying. Your clothes are put into a mesh bag with other mesh bags.

There is a morning cut off time. If it's picked up after that it'll be ready the next day. Do not wait until you have no more underwear and don't put all your underwear into any one bag. Sis had that issue, lol.

They do a wonderful job on the basics - underwear, socks, T's DH's shirts and khakis. Wouldn't send out anything that's delicate or takes special treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do not send any of my delicate tops or undies. Nighty, socks, and capri are OK to send, though.

Can you use the service for just "press only" for free?

This is our first platinum cruise.

They do not press anything. You'd have to pay for that.

My capris are folded, as is my nighty and socks.

I agree with all that has been said... just wanted to add twice I read a post and mistook "things" for "thongs"... I was like who has that many thongs and who would send them out to be washed??? The dang "floss" would surely be lost!