Summit AQ Cabins on Deck 11

gryffin123

We have 1140 on the millennium booked b2b in Asia in 2017. Waiting to hear about noise on that ship, but unless they use headphones (which I seriously doubt) we're likely to cancel both cruises. I doubt celebrity cares.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by ghstudio

We have 1140 on the millennium booked b2b in Asia in 2017. Waiting to hear about noise on that ship, but unless they use headphones (which I seriously doubt) we're likely to cancel both cruises. I doubt celebrity cares.

I think that's the cabin we have booked for our 15 night Panama Canal cruise. Unfortunately, I suspect you are right that it is doubtful Celebrity cares. They won't - unless people stop booking those cabins. And that is not likely to happen as most people do not read Cruise Critic so will have no idea what they are in for until they board. Besides, I don't know about you but I am definitely not in the demographic they are interested in anymore - even though I hope to be cruising for another 15-20 years health permitting. Oh well......For sure I will look for other cabin locations next time if the noise concerns pan out

We have one of these cabins booked for December and honestly, I'm not going to get all worked up until we hear from those who have actually experienced this specific set-up.

We were on Connie this past week and the area where they are putting the screen is so far back and primarily over the inside cabins on Deck 11. We'll complain if and when there is an issue, but seems like this is all conjecture.

We have one of these cabins booked for December and honestly, I'm not going to get all worked up until we hear from those who have actually experienced this specific set-up.

We were on Connie this past week and the area where they are putting the screen is so far back and primarily over the inside cabins on Deck 11. We'll complain if and when there is an issue, but seems like this is all conjecture.

It is not all conjecture unfortunately. Numerous people have already experienced this on Infinity and reported back about noise issues. I do agree about not getting worked up about it ahead of time, especially if you can't change cabins. I intend to enjoy my cruise regardless and make the best of it, but I believe the noise issues, at least currently, are real.

And we have 1116 again on an Asian cruise in Feb. 2017.

In addition to the Infinity, there was also a report from the Summit. :(

Booked 1140 (aft A1) for January 7th 2017 cruise. I was already worried about the noise even before learning of the new movie viewing above deck 11. Mainly due to the bar below. Now I'm wondering if we should change as well. Although there are no more A1 rooms left, there are A2 rooms on deck 9. In fact for this Jan 7th cruise, I think those are the only cabins left available with a veranda...the A2 Aqua Class on deck 9.

I'm also wondering if Aqua Class is even worth the extra price (this will be our 1st cruise) and maybe we should just get a ocean view cabin. When I first talked about booking our first cruise in another thread, I had several people suggest going for the Aqua Class. Wonder if those people are from Celebrity...getting people to pay for Aqua by suggesting it on these forums? It would be a pretty sneaky ploy to get people to pay a premium for Celebrity's worst/noisiest cabins by slapping a "Aqua Class" label on them.

We still have time to cancel and go a different route which is good. Maybe Princess...not sure yet.

Edited by Xpresser

If this is your first cruise, I would drop down in category and go with a standard balcony. First cruisers need the experience of the MDR to get a true cruise feel, IMO.

A 2C became available, overnight, for my September cruise. However, it is $500 more pp than what we are paying for our A1... and it's a GTY, which means a bump up back to AQ1! :D :eek:

If this is your first cruise, I would drop down in category and go with a standard balcony. First cruisers need the experience of the MDR to get a true cruise feel, IMO.

A 2C became available, overnight, for my September cruise. However, it is $500 more pp than what we are paying for our A1... and it's a GTY, which means a bump up back to AQ1! :D :eek:

We can still get the MDR experience even in AQ class. No rule states that we have to eat at Blu every time. All the other dining options are still open to us and we plan on eating in the MDR.

No "standard" balcony cabins left for this particular cruise. Only C1, C2, C3 and A2 balcony cabins available.

Just as an FYI, there is no guarantee that you can always eat in the MDR even though you are in Aqua Class. Your assigned restaurant is Blu, and while in most cases you will be able to arrange to eat in the MDR, sometimes the ship is so full that you are not able to do that every day. If you stick with AQ and want to eat in MDR, I would suggest you ask the Blu maitre'd to arrange it for you on a nightly basis.

The rooms on 11 used to be amazing - great location, and very quiet. So they were worth an extra upcharge IMHO. I also love Blu (although some do not). Blu on M class ships is nicer (less crowded, better service) than on S class ships - at least that has been my experience. We also love to eat breakfast there - much nicer than the buffet or the MDR. I don't think there was any nefarious planning involved in the original AQ concept, but the addition of that darn movie area changes my opinion of the rooms on 11 aft.

Another benefit of AQ is the use of the spa area (the t-pool area is free - I am talking the sauna and so on). The spa area on S class is infinitely nicer than the ones on M class - M class does not have those nice heated loungers like you see in the pictures and the area is more compact. Only you can decide what that benefit is worth. On M class, the AQ rooms are also larger than the regular balconies or oceanview - about the size of a standard room on S class.

The other benefits are not that big a deal IMHO. Thicker robes and towels, a nicer shower head, and a few other little things.

I would not give up AQ to go with an oceanview personally. A balcony is a nice perk regardless of room category.

Just as an FYI, there is no guarantee that you can always eat in the MDR even though you are in Aqua Class. Your assigned restaurant is Blu, and while in most cases you will be able to arrange to eat in the MDR, sometimes the ship is so full that you are not able to do that every day. If you stick with AQ and want to eat in MDR, I would suggest you ask the Blu maitre'd to arrange it for you on a nightly basis.

The rooms on 11 used to be amazing - great location, and very quiet. So they were worth an extra upcharge IMHO. I also love Blu (although some do not). Blu on M class ships is nicer (less crowded, better service) than on S class ships - at least that has been my experience. We also love to eat breakfast there - much nicer than the buffet or the MDR. I don't think there was any nefarious planning involved in the original AQ concept, but the addition of that darn movie area changes my opinion of the rooms on 11 aft.

Another benefit of AQ is the use of the spa area (the t-pool area is free - I am talking the sauna and so on). The spa area on S class is infinitely nicer than the ones on M class - M class does not have those nice heated loungers like you see in the pictures and the area is more compact. Only you can decide what that benefit is worth. On M class, the AQ rooms are also larger than the regular balconies or oceanview - about the size of a standard room on S class.

The other benefits are not that big a deal IMHO. Thicker robes and towels, a nicer shower head, and a few other little things.

I would not give up AQ to go with an oceanview personally. A balcony is a nice perk regardless of room category.

Thank you for that info. I think we will just do the old, "if you can't beat them, join them" idea when it comes to the movie deck above us. We are not one's to complain anyhow and if it's a bit loud up there we will just join them or go find something to do for awhile. This will be a learn-as-we-go situation for us and also to see if we even like cruising. If we end up not having a great experience then no worries. We will just chalk it up as a "probably not for us" type of vacation and go back to our land based trips. I'm easy to please and hard to irritate...although the wife may come in here and say otherwise.

I have 1140 booked for my upcoming Summit cruise to Bermuda in August. I'm taking my Mom with me as a birthday gift and she's always wanted an aft balcony so we're going to keep this cabin. I'm sure it will be fine for us but I'm just curious to hear from anyone who has been on the Summit in one of these cabins after the recent dry dock.

How many cabins are affected by this issue? Which ones?

This may add more competition to book the non-affected cabins...

We aways take an AQ 2...and waive the upgrade to AQ 1 anyhow... but want to make sure we avoid getting stuck in a less desireable one . On Connie, AQ right under the band stand area it was so noisy and vibrating, that we moved from our "primo " mid ships AQ cabin as soon as we heard and felt the noise. So that's another area to avoid on M class!

We pay more for AQ..shoud not have to "make the best of it". For some, the noise potential may be a worthwhile trade off for the aft location...but at least they are now on notice about the movies and possible sound on the balcony

Edited by hcat

We were just on the Summit in cabin 1119, and our friends in cabin 1117. These are directly below the rooftop terrace.

We could hear the music or words from the movie clearly on our balcony. Our friends were awakened at 4am one morning by the music and at 7AM I called guest services to ask them to turn it down. Not sure why the Alaska infomercial was playing at 7AM, but that's what it was. They were very apologetic and did have the sound turned down, calling twice later in the week to make sure it was better, and reminding us to call 24 hours a day if it was a problem again.

During the NCAA basketball games, you heard people up there and often heard walking, but this didn't run later than midnight.

We have had cabins 1104 and 1138 before on Summit, prior to the addition of the Rooftop Terrace and loved the area. Now, we have pretty much decided that we will go back to category 6 OV cabins on deck 3. Blu, while a very nice perk, just isn't worth the price difference on most cruises, and we didn't use the balcony that much on this cruise as there are so many port days.

We were just on the Summit in cabin 1119, and our friends in cabin 1117. These are directly below the rooftop terrace.

We could hear the music or words from the movie clearly on our balcony. Our friends were awakened at 4am one morning by the music and at 7AM I called guest services to ask them to turn it down. Not sure why the Alaska infomercial was playing at 7AM, but that's what it was. They were very apologetic and did have the sound turned down, calling twice later in the week to make sure it was better, and reminding us to call 24 hours a day if it was a problem again.

During the NCAA basketball games, you heard people up there and often heard walking, but this didn't run later than midnight.

We have had cabins 1104 and 1138 before on Summit, prior to the addition of the Rooftop Terrace and loved the area. Now, we have pretty much decided that we will go back to category 6 OV cabins on deck 3. Blu, while a very nice perk, just isn't worth the price difference on most cruises, and we didn't use the balcony that much on this cruise as there are so many port days.

Thank you so much for your report. We had cabins 1130 and 1132 booked for Summit cruises in winter 2018. We were concerned when we booked them, but the Summit Future Cruise Consultant assured us that there would be wireless headsets that would prevent "movie" noise. She said the bar will be basic and, therefore, not much foot traffic and we only might hear a little noise during the day with "sporting events." You and others with comments on Summit and Infinity helped us make a decision to "downgrade" (not much of a downgrade) from the A1 cabins to a deck 9 A2 cabin that we have stayed in before. We know we will hear a little light moving noise of furniture in the wee morning hours when they are vacuuming the Oceanview Cafe above the cabin, but we know what to expect. Thanks again for saving us a headache later. Fortunately, we had available cabins this far out to make the move.

We did tell our travel agent why and she told the Celebrity person why. He guessed that I got the information from Cruise Critic and she confirmed that was true. Of course I didn't give her any specifics as to Cruise Critic ids or which threads, etc.