Magic review 3-20 to 3-27

yelkrab1969

First, I feel compelled to write this review. I surfed this site for 4 weeks before going on our cruise and the information from this site was invaluable in planning our trip.

My family and I were on the Magic the week starting on 3-20-16. It was our family of 5 (Me 56, DH 46, DS 20, DD 18 and DD11). We also took friends of the older son and daughter for a total of 7 people. The following are our opinions. I am sure not everyone had the same experiences that we did.

Embarkation was very fast through check-in. We had FTTF and it was worth every penny. Once we were checked in we waited about 30 minutes to board. We boarded about 12:45, went straight to our rooms that were ready, off-loaded our carry-on's and headed to sign up for the drink packages and the Cat in the Hat breakfast. No lines for these whatsoever.

We had early dining and I really prefer that so that we can do the stage shows and comedy shows the rest of the evening. Meals were good, not great. However, I really liked the prime rib that I had on two nights with fresh horseradish. Very good. And the desserts were fairly good too.

Buffet food was average. Really liked the Mongolian Wok and the Burritos were excellent. Try a chicken burrito with the jalapeno wrap and roasted tomato salsa. Better than Chipotles!. The barbeque was good but I was surprised that there were no signs or other identity for Guy's other than a couple bottles of his sauce on the counter. The signs simply said "Barbeque Experience". The best was Guys burger joint. I thought the toppings were very fresh and tasty which made for a great burger.

Ice cream machines were a huge disappointment. 50% of the time they were out of cones and for more than 24 hours there were no cones. They even removed the cone dispensers. Then the last day the dispensers and cones magically appeared. No pun intended! At times the ice cream was too soft to serve.

On the first day at sea we ventured to deck 5 on the starboard side (sunny side that day and less windy) and found two hot-tubs and tons of unused chaise lounges. We were nearly the only one on that side of the ship and when the barbeque (also on deck 5 near hot tubs)opened we were the only ones there. By the second or third day more people discovered this hidden gem. By the end of the cruise it was packed.

At Cozumel we did Mr. Sanchos and absolutely loved it. Older kids did jet skis, younger ones did water park and wife and I did Cabana with massages. Great time. We booked it ourselves (not through carnival) and saved considerable money. Cabs were easy to get and reasonable. We also witnessed two pier runners that missed the ship.

Next day was Grand Cayman. I had been there 20 year earlier and really liked it then. It is not what it once was. I did not care for the island now. Seemed unorganized and not as clean as it once was. The kids did Snuba and it was the highlight of their cruise. They all now want to get certified as Scuba divers. Earlier in the day we went to Royal Palms beach and it was nice.

Funny part was when we went 20 years ago to Jamaica I swore I would never return. This time we loved it. We went to Doctors cove beach and to Margaritaville and loved it. After boarding the ship we went to deck 11 to watch for Pier runners and a Jamaican women walked up to side of the ship and yelled "we appreciate you guys". I thought that we real nice compared to Grand Cayman where I felt less welcomed.

Faster to the fun was well worth if for us. Quicker embarkation, tender services and disembarkation. Best part for me was not having to wait in line at customer service. Most times I just walked right up to the counter while there were 10-12 people in line.

Comedy shows were very good. Stage shows were average but fun. We enjoyed the piano bar but the piano bar dude was sick for two days so he did not play. When he did it was great.

We did the Italian restaurant one night. It was good but not great. IN my opinion no worth the extra money.

Waiter in Southern Lights was very good and learned our needs very quickly. Room Steward was also very good. I think he was invisible since we hardly ever saw him. We had service twice a day and there was not form to fill out. The amazing part was he always knew my name. We would be walking down a hallway and from the depths of another room he would say "good morning mike" yet I could not see him.

Plenty more to write about when time allows. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. I don't mind helping others.

Thanks for the report! I'm on the Magic in 8 weeks!! different itinerary, but same upgraded ship! Sorry about the ice cream...it was on thing i actually told myself to stay away from anyway on the cruise haha (lost 33lbs since January and want to lose another 15 before the cruise!)

Quick question-

Did you leave from Galveston or Port Canaveral? Wasn't sure if she was repositioned yet.