Could the SS United States steal some passengers from the Cunard Line?

Cruise Liner Fan

Interesting stats. I find it difficult to believe they'd spend the money on engine power to go so fast and then not use it. Doesn't SSUS still hold the record for a crossing? If so there's no need for her to "win" it again.

If they do try to match her previous speed, they'll have a huge fuel bill! When we did the behind-the-scenes tour on QM2, we were told that crossing in 5 days instead of 7 would roughly double the fuel consumption. Your stats seem to show a similar ratio. That fuel bill is going to be spread over only 600 passengers? ouch!

On another subject, is Scotty your favorite Star Trek character? ;)

I think it would be an advertising ploy as to whether the ship in her present form could claim the title. I do know that when Branson tried to claim the Blue Ribband for his "yacht" crossings, the director of the Merchant Marine Museum at Kings Point, which owns the Blue Ribband trophy refused to give it to him, so I think there might be some legal flak over a claim that could not be substantiated.

Yes, the fuel bill is why the QM2 slowed down her crossings. I would suspect that for the SSUS to make 30+ knot crossings, she would present a fuel bill three times what the QM2 does on her present crossing speed, and divide that bill over 1/4 as many passengers.

I won't confirm nor deny my attachment to Mr. Scott, but I haven't had any di-lithium crystals delaminate yet.

Interesting stats. I find it difficult to believe they'd spend the money on engine power to go so fast and then not use it. Doesn't SSUS still hold the record for a crossing? If so there's no need for her to "win" it again.

If they do try to match her previous speed, they'll have a huge fuel bill! When we did the behind-the-scenes tour on QM2, we were told that crossing in 5 days instead of 7 would roughly double the fuel consumption. Your stats seem to show a similar ratio. That fuel bill is going to be spread over only 600 passengers? ouch!

They might feature a Transatlantic "speed run" cruise where people pay a premium rate to be part of a special Blue Riband attempt. They probably would limit this to one a year or something.

Regards John

They might feature a Transatlantic "speed run" cruise where people pay a premium rate to be part of a special Blue Riband attempt. They probably would limit this to one a year or something.

Regards John

Sorry to but in folk,s what a terrific topic talking about proper liner,s for a change, though i do cruise,s i should say stay and cruise, mostly caribbean fly cruise,s .I did work with Cunard in the early sixty,s four year,s RMS QUEEN MARY 81,OOO TON,S and QUEEN LIZZIE 83,OOO also CARMANIA doing three week,s round trip to Que,bec and Montreal, the time taken then for PIER 90 was four day,s 17 hour,s, Howard

Sorry to but in folk,s what a terrific topic talking about proper liner,s for a change, though i do cruise,s i should say stay and cruise, mostly caribbean fly cruise,s .I did work with Cunard in the early sixty,s four year,s RMS QUEEN MARY 81,OOO TON,S and QUEEN LIZZIE 83,OOO also CARMANIA doing three week,s round trip to Que,bec and Montreal, the time taken then for PIER 90 was four day,s 17 hour,s, Howard

In her service days the SSUS had a 4-day turn around in NY. If returned to service she will certainly have to be adapted to turn around in hours, and not days.

It will be interesting to see how much power she will have when converted. When the France became the Norway she lost her claim as an ocean liner. While she retained the hull form her forward engines and props were removed thus she lost the requirement of reserve power.

Not everyone in the SSUS Conservancy is happy with Crystal's plan as it would dramatically alter the ship for sure. (She would now be "MV US"?) But QE2 sailed for more years as a motor ship than she did as a steam ship. Which version is the "authentic" QE2? As built? As retired? Somewhere in between?

In her service days the SSUS had a 4-day turn around in NY. If returned to service she will certainly have to be adapted to turn around in hours, and not days.

It will be interesting to see how much power she will have when converted. When the France became the Norway she lost her claim as an ocean liner. While she retained the hull form her forward engines and props were removed thus she lost the requirement of reserve power.

Not everyone in the SSUS Conservancy is happy with Crystal's plan as it would dramatically alter the ship for sure. (She would now be "MV US"?) But QE2 sailed for more years as a motor ship than she did as a steam ship. Which version is the "authentic" QE2? As built? As retired? Somewhere in between?

HI BLUERIBAND could you tell me if pier 90 is still a working dock, i remember it well and the old Market Diner right opposite , has it all changed i think it was 47st up to 5th ave thank,s howard

HI BLUERIBAND could you tell me if pier 90 is still a working dock, i remember it well and the old Market Diner right opposite , has it all changed i think it was 47st up to 5th ave thank,s howard
I believe Pier 90 (had been the "Cunard" Pier) is still used:

QM2 The traditional CUNARD pier 90.

Although when I arrived on QM2 in 2011 (on that crossing she used the Manhattan Cruise Terminal ("West Side Piers") instead of Redhook), QM2 tied up at Pier 88 (had been the "French Line" Pier)

QM2 The Traditional FRENCH LINE pier 88.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

I believe Pier 90 (had been the "Cunard" Pier?) is still used:

Although when I arrived on QM2 in 2011 (on that crossing she used the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (West Side Piers) instead of Redhook), QM2 tied up at Pier 88 (had been the "French Line" Pier?)

Thank you pepperrn lovely photo,s still look,s familiar , remember it,s not the ship,s that pass in the night, it,s the night,s passed on the ship :p

Agreed, would make every effort to find an SSUS itinerary that would suit my schedule (and hopefully my budget as well).

Having been aboard in 1986 before she was gutted and then again about 10 years ago in Philadelphia, it would be amazing to say the least to experience her refitted and most importantly AT SEA.

I believe Pier 90 (had been the "Cunard" Pier) is still used:

Although when I arrived on QM2 in 2011 (on that crossing she used the Manhattan Cruise Terminal ("West Side Piers") instead of Redhook), QM2 tied up at Pier 88 (had been the "French Line" Pier)

When I first boarded a Cunard Ship it was September 17,2000 and it was the QE2. The cruise was a New England/Canada cruise and on that day the QE2 sailed from Pier 92 which is to the left of Pier 90 in the picture that Pepper posted. When I first boarded the QM2 in June of 2004 again the sailing was from Pier 92. In March of 2005 the next QM2 cruise I went on, the QM2 then sailed from Pier 88. Since both Piers 88 and 90 were renovated about 8 years ago and Pier 92 has been permanently closed to Ship dockings, In the pictures that Pepper had posted, it looks like there were better improvements to Pier 88 than to Pier 90. Regards,Jerry