15% service charge for drinks on beverage package

Katgoesonholiday

Late last year there was a promotion that included a free beverage package for drinks up to US$9. I made final payment recently and my travel agent was a pains to make sure I was aware that each time we ordered a drink on the package the 15% service fee would still be added to our onboard account.

It's not an issue to us but I was wondering whether this was normal practice. I had assumed that there would be no charge but now I think about it, it is obvious there is a logical difference between the actual physical drink and the service required to provide it to me.

We have the drinks package too, and the service is included in the promotion. Here's the T&Cs from my invoice:

"The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold.

For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard.

Drinks ordered on this promotion will be signed for in the normal way with the cost of the drinks appearing on the sales receipt - the cost is credited back to the folio on a nightly basis. This promotion does not apply to drinks

ordered as room service or in-room mini bar (except Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages."

We have the drinks package too, and the service is included in the promotion. Here's the T&Cs from my invoice:

"The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold.

For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard.

Drinks ordered on this promotion will be signed for in the normal way with the cost of the drinks appearing on the sales receipt - the cost is credited back to the folio on a nightly basis. This promotion does not apply to drinks

ordered as room service or in-room mini bar (except Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages."

Yes, those same terms and conditions appeared on the free drinks package that was offered in the US.

So, as I read it, the 15% service charge will be applied whether or not there is a charge for the beverage.

Edited by Salacia

I had the promotion a couple of times last year, or it may have been just before the end of 2014 however The Service charge is added to the bill but not charged to your account or included in the cost of the drink. (I Believe It is shown as the bar staff get 100% of this charge and is for Cunard's accounting).

Edited by Pennbank

We had the drinks package on the QV in January. You can order drinks up to the $9 price. The service charge is added but paid for by Cunard so the bar staff still get their tips. In fact they are very keen to serve you for that reason. When we ordered a glass of wine, we were offered the bottle, charged as (say) 5 glasses. The staff are all well informed about the package and will help you choose your drinks.

We're not big drinkers but we managed a few cocktails and nightcaps and of course the "posh" coffees that are part of the deal as well.

We really hope they do the drinks deal again.

We had the drinks package on the QV in January. You can order drinks up to the $9 price. The service charge is added but paid for by Cunard so the bar staff still get their tips. In fact they are very keen to serve you for that reason. When we ordered a glass of wine, we were offered the bottle, charged as (say) 5 glasses. The staff are all well informed about the package and will help you choose your drinks.

We're not big drinkers but we managed a few cocktails and nightcaps and of course the "posh" coffees that are part of the deal as well.

Thats what we love about Cunard.

Late last year there was a promotion ...... .....

Hi Kat, Just a quick hello:) You really got the cruise bug now!

Just starting to look on the Cunard site, as might do a cruise next year on the British Isles with the Queen Elizabeth with my Mum. Would be great as would depart from Rotterdam and return to Rotterdam. This is where me Mum lives, so very handy. At the moment this cruise is still way above our budget. However cheaper then Celebrity, would you believe it.

As you can see on my signature will be going soon to Hawaii. Yay! This time with hubby. Can't wait to start packing suitcases.

From a fellow Kiwi cruizer, Greetings from Lenie

Carnivore corporation will always find a way of siphoning money out of your pocket.

According to your "tags" you are signed on to give "Carnivore corporation" yet another chance to siphon money out of your pockets in December. If I felt that a business was siphoning, chiseling, or otherwise taking advantage of me with surprise charges I would stop giving them my business. But that's just me. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

According to your "tags" you are signed on to give "Carnivore corporation" yet another chance to siphon money out of your pockets in December. If I felt that a business was siphoning, chiseling, or otherwise taking advantage of me with surprise charges I would stop giving them my business. But that's just me. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

That made me smile BlueRiband.

I am having some trouble with the Cunard website and cannot determine if the beverage package is always available for purchase. This will be our first time on Cunard. We are booked for 78 days on a portion of the 2017 QV world cruise. Thanks for any insight.

Hi Kat, Just a quick hello:) You really got the cruise bug now!

Just starting to look on the Cunard site, as might do a cruise next year on the British Isles with the Queen Elizabeth with my Mum. Would be great as would depart from Rotterdam and return to Rotterdam. This is where me Mum lives, so very handy. At the moment this cruise is still way above our budget. However cheaper then Celebrity, would you believe it.

As you can see on my signature will be going soon to Hawaii. Yay! This time with hubby. Can't wait to start packing suitcases.

From a fellow Kiwi cruizer, Greetings from Lenie

Hi Lenie! Yes, the cruise bug bit us good and hard! We loved our Preziosa cruise and the one with the kids six months later proved to us that cruises are a fabulous family holiday! We are all so looking forward to experiencing Cunard!

I am having some trouble with the Cunard website and cannot determine if the beverage package is always available for purchase. This will be our first time on Cunard. We are booked for 78 days on a portion of the 2017 QV world cruise. Thanks for any insight.

We booked our cruise in the UK and the drinks package was included in the price of the cruise and only available for certain cruises and on offer for a limited time. It was not a "drinks package" that could be purchased. This thread is about that offer.

Edited by Koukla-mou

We booked our cruise in the UK and the drinks package was included in the price of the cruise and only available for certain cruises and on offer for a limited time. It was not a "drinks package" that could be purchased. This thread is about that offer.

Thanks for the info.

Oh, I agree. We are doing that crossing only because we feel we need to experience the world's only grand ocean liner otherwise we will stick with Silversea. Each time we get stung for some charge or other we will comfort ourselves that it is coming out of the OBC and smile sweetly.

That and, of course, the chance to do our Christmas shopping in the world's most exciting city and carry it home.

Oh, I agree. We are doing that crossing only because we feel we need to experience the world's only grand ocean liner otherwise we will stick with Silversea. ...

She does have a way of luring passengers to set aside their standards, doesn't she? On my last voyage I met a couple who had been my table mates on a previous sailing. They only sail QM2 when they need a "Transatlantic Ferry" (their description) and otherwise stick with Regent.

Hi Lenie! Yes, the cruise bug bit us good and hard! We loved our Preziosa cruise and the one with the kids six months later proved to us that cruises are a fabulous family holiday! We are all so looking forward to experiencing Cunard!

Wow, you are going to do two in a row! Have a wonderful time on both the cruises:)

Oh, I agree. We are doing that crossing only because we feel we need to experience the world's only grand ocean liner otherwise we will stick with Silversea. Each time we get stung for some charge or other we will comfort ourselves that it is coming out of the OBC and smile sweetly.

That and, of course, the chance to do our Christmas shopping in the world's most exciting city and carry it home.

She does have a way of luring passengers to set aside their standards, doesn't she? On my last voyage I met a couple who had been my table mates on a previous sailing. They only sail QM2 when they need a "Transatlantic Ferry" (their description) and otherwise stick with Regent.

Funnily enough when I last sailed on Silversea I suggested on my 'end of cruise' questionnaire that they send their butlers to Cunard for training.

• 2 weeks later...
We're booked on our first Cunard cruise in January 2017, NY to UK. We are using a travel agent. Can someone give me more information about the promotion and/or package?

It was a Promotion offer when booking the cruise for particular sailings. Not available to purchase on board.