What should I do with 2 days in Ft. Lauderdale?

bradrach

My wife and I booked our first cruise (and we're so excited!!!) leaving on April 10th. However, we're getting into Ft. Lauderdale around noon on April 8th. We're unsure what to do with our two days. We were thinking Los Olas Blvd on Friday and maybe a day trip to South Beach? Would this be an interesting enough way to spend the time? We're also unsure of the best way to see these areas. We're staying near the FLL airport. Would we be best to rent a car? Are these busy areas where we would have headaches with traffic and finding parking?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

South Beach is an expensive taxi ride away (45 - 40 minutes and probably close to a $80 or $90 taxi fare one way) so a rental car would most likely be cheaper. There are a number of public parking lots and garages in Miami Beach. Check out http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/...aspx?id=30920.

Las Olas (http://www.lasolasboulevard.com) is probably around a $20 or $25 one way taxi ride. If you have a rental car there is public parking in lots and garages nearby.

For more information on what to do in Fort Lauderdale, check out http://www.sunny.org.

If you have two days without a rental, considering you aren't staying closer to downtown/port/beach, you would spend a ton on cabs or uber.

Rent the car and drive down to South beach the second day if you haven't before. Park and take in the beach and people watching all day.

On the first day head downtown Ft.L and take the water taxi around and/or visit Las Olas in the evening for dinner. Lots of choices.

Take a taxi or bus to the beach and jump on the water taxi or the Sun Trolley and travel around the whole area on those. There is plenty to explore at every water taxi stop, as well as some fun stories from the captains! Both are VERY affordable introductions to Fort Lauderdale.

You can take the water taxi from the beach to Las Olas for shopping and dinner. We have easily spent a full day just doing this and having a great time!

Why not skip driving to Miami and head to Hollywood on the water taxi the next day instead? Lots to do on the boardwalk and beach there without the travel time and higher costs for food and parking.

Just a suggestion for a couple great days from our experience! HAVE FUN!!

[emoji2]

I agree with the suggestion to skip South Beach and head to Hollywood instead. You have the beach, boardwalk and a new Margaritaville hotel and you don't need to deal with Miami parking and traffic. This is a great place to spend a day.

Altho Hollywood is a nice stop,( we spent five days there post cruise last year) if you haven't been to Miami Beach/SoBe and don't plan on coming back this way again, I for sure would do it for a day. Why come all the way and not see the iconic area of Miami Beach?

In fact, if you have a car, you could have lunch in Hollywood Beach if you wanted and then head to South Beach. It is on the way. It's not like hours of driving. Without stopping in Hollywood, you can get to South Beach from Fort Lauderdale in an hour. Maybe a few min. longer since you are new to the drive. But because of the proximity you have options of stopping along the way.

This is of course, if you want to leave Fort Lauderdale after the first day. It's a nice city and you might change you mind and want to just hang out there on the beach.

have a fun time!

Edited by eandj

Rent a car! I would suggest Alamo right at the airport, reasonable daily rates (approx. $25/day). Drop off the morning of your cruise, and take their free shuttle to the port, keep your receipt and take their shuttle back to the airport at the end of the cruise.

We have done this several times, works out great! Have cruised the strip at South Beach at our leisure, Outlet shopping and many restaurants. So many beaches to choose from as well.

Day One:

Beach

Bonnet House

Day Two:

Water Taxi

There are a ton of things to do in Fort Lauderdale.

Don't miss the water taxi and make sure you take it at night.

I always tell people that Fort Lauderdale is a city you see by water not by land.

The front of waterfront homes face the water and not the street.

Day One:

Beach

Bonnet House

Day Two:

Water Taxi

There are a ton of things to do in Fort Lauderdale.

Don't miss the water taxi and make sure you take it at night.

I always tell people that Fort Lauderdale is a city you see by water not by land.

The front of waterfront homes face the water and not the street.

Where is the best place to park to take the water taxi in the evening

Edited by pamkev