How Many of You Had Unexpected 'Upgrades'?

eileen108

How many of you had unexpected cabin changes, and were they before your cruise or at boarding? Of the people with changes, how many ended up with WORSE cabins than before?

I booked a B1 Balcony on MSC Orchestra eight months before the cruise, and nearly three months before the cruise, discovered online that our nice cabin had been changed to a B3 noisy-area "upgrade". Requests for a change (several phone calls over the course of a couple of weeks) were futile.

Wish Cruise Critic had a 'Polls' forum to create polls! :)

We booked an Inside on the Opera for a trip to Norway, we were upgraded to an outside which was behind the lifeboats, it was impossible to get around the double bed without climbing over the end corners due to the fixed furniture, the term not enough room to swing a cat came to mind! We had been on Xmas Costa cruise and had also booked an Inside, we were upgraded to an Outside that turned out to be a very large cabin, some you win and some you lose.

Upgraded also. We are simple people so we are excited to see what the fairy has given us. If not, we are fine w/ what we paid for.

It's all good on the Divina.

How fortunate we all are to be on the sea! Exciting!

Haha. I did notice that 12001 was open until the very end. :D

That's not me! I booked the lowest end cabin, no assign. and got a great upgrade, or so I think. i will let you know soon - I need to be in it before I know it is really true.

I didn't get an upgrade, but got what I feel was a great upsell. I'd booked a balcony when the BOGO first started for about $1400.00, and got an upsell for the Yacht Club for $550.00, which give us the Yacht Club for under $2000.00.

It goes with all the YC benefits.

I didn't get an upgrade, but got what I feel was a great upsell. I'd booked a balcony when the BOGO first started for about $1400.00, and got an upsell for the Yacht Club for $550.00, which give us the Yacht Club for under $2000.00.

It goes with all the YC benefits.

Excellent! I think you will LOVE it>:D

Who typically assigns the upgrades? Is there a special department or is it your PCC?

All a mystery to me. I just booked with the cruise line. I have done more than 35 cruises and have rarely had an upgrade. We will see.

It's perhaps for my good works on earth as a volunteer for the less fortunate that the upgrade fairy came with her gift. I will see.

• 4 weeks later...

I went on my first MSC cruise last year. Booked an oceanview and got an aft balcony:D

I've just booked another MSC cruise and haven't received the cabin assignment yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I keep checking daily but no cabin change. I was assured when booking directly (have it in an email from them) that we would have no obstructed views and after researching our cabin I find we have a steel balcony:eek:!!!!

How many of you had unexpected cabin changes, and were they before your cruise or at boarding? Of the people with changes, how many ended up with WORSE cabins than before?

I booked a B1 Balcony on MSC Orchestra eight months before the cruise, and nearly three months before the cruise, discovered online that our nice cabin had been changed to a B3 noisy-area "upgrade". Requests for a change (several phone calls over the course of a couple of weeks) were futile.

Wish Cruise Critic had a 'Polls' forum to create polls! :)

No change in the Bermuda Apri 8th cruise, no change in the May 7th, cruiser either.. "AAARRRGGHHH WHERE IS THE YC FAIRY"???

I have two premium balconies, one an aft and the other one of the large bump out balconies. I would need to be in the YC with full benefits to move. I would be extremely upset if they moved me otherwise.

Our cabin wasn't so bad, it was mostly quiet because of the location away from deck chairs on the deck above us. The elevators could not be heard at all! It was convenient to have the buffet on the next floor up also. A bigger room than we originally booked so it was OK.