Hygiene on P&O - Oceana failed inspection, Oriana cockroaches

HygieneWatch

I have concerns too. Some of the issues raised are pretty fundamental to the welfare of their passengers and potentially could have serious consequences. These standards are presumably achievable (I have been on a ship when the Capt proudly announced they had, that day, achieved 100% in such an inspection - quite right to be proud too). So failures of the kind reported reflect badly on procedures and systems to comply with H&S and seem to me to be the result of lax management on board. If someone were delegated to check filters, confirm Chlorine levels, have robust measures in place for ailing crew etc these issues wouldn't arise. Sloppy!

I've been watching the Cruise programme on TV and whilst aspects of the ship don't appeal to me, the guy in charge of hygiene is rigorous in checking and insisting on high standards of hygiene. I am impressed by his proactive approach. I naively imagined all ships would operate to the same high standards.

One can only hope that this is a red light for P&O as, apart from their duty of care towards their existing customers, it could damage their product and deter potential new customers from booking.

I sincerely hope they put in place the necessary systems to ensure these issues are addressed - and without delay. I would appreciate updates on anything relating to these hygiene with P&O - this issue is high priority for us when choosing a cruise line/ship.

P. S. Sorry to hear of your problems dave - hope you are feeling better and get some satisfaction from P&O although that will be of little consolation now - you were in need of their support in Singapore!

Thanks, I am feeling better now but must say it was a bad end to the most expensive and worse cruise I have been on. I am in communication with P&O about it but have not yet received a response.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I assume that the ships know these inspections are happening and so the scores reflect their very best practice in terms of "CookSafe" and general food hygiene standards? So if that is the standard when they know someone is inspecting what is it like when no one (external) is looking?

I remember reading a book written by the first American to complete a full contract as a waiter onboard an American ship (carnival I think). In it he described the lengths the ship went to before coming back into the USA knowing an inspection was planned. Staff worked day and night scrubbing and they even cling filmed the plates etc to stop and contamination before inspection. The scores were that important.

Like others I read the reports and some of it is very minor but it does reflect on systems / checks.

Regarding the food hygiene "scores on the doors" applied to restaurants here, it should be noted that a score of 5 means that the establishment has only passed the minimum requirements (ie. they are doing everything which should be expected). Anything below that should be a cause for concern, but a 5 does not equate to "outstanding", nor does it guarantee that the establishment is faultless.

We were on the Oceana 35 day cruise when it failed the inspection. It was our first time on the Oceana and I didn't particularly like the ship. It was however the first cruise I've had where I have NOT suffered from a dodgy stomach. Some of the areas on the ship were looking in need of a re-furb I thought. Although it apparently recently had one.

We were on the Oceana 35 day cruise when it failed the inspection. It was our first time on the Oceana and I didn't particularly like the ship. It was however the first cruise I've had where I have NOT suffered from a dodgy stomach. Some of the areas on the ship were looking in need of a re-furb I thought. Although it apparently recently had one.

How many cruises have you taken?

David.

That's quite funny actually! Have to say I have not had a funny stomach on any ship yet and that is quite a few different ones.

Perhaps you take responsibility for your own health. We have been on 34 cruises with 5 different lines and like you have never had a stomach problem on any of them yet. We follow all of the advice given to avoid problems of this type. We also avoid buffets because I feel that there is more chance of the food and/or serving utensils becoming contaminated than if the food is served to us.

Perhaps you take responsibility for your own health. We have been on 34 cruises with 5 different lines and like you have never had a stomach problem on any of them yet. We follow all of the advice given to avoid problems of this type. We also avoid buffets because I feel that there is more chance of the food and/or serving utensils becoming contaminated than if the food is served to us.

That's an interesting thought - I don't suppose we would ever know but I wonder whether there is a difference in the number of passengers who go down with a gastric upset and eat predominantly in the self service buffet as opposed to the mdr. In saying that I have every sympathy for those whose holiday is marred by illness and dining in one venue or another shouldn't theoretically make a difference in your susceptibility to picking up an infection - but wouldn't it be interesting to know if you are in fact at greater risk if you use the buffet a lot? I suspect perhaps you may be since you are more exposed to others' hygiene shortcomings there.

Edited by kruzseeka

Touching lots of wood, we have been lucky as well, but we do try to be quite sensible.

On Oceana at Christmas I was concerned that our bathroom wasn't being cleaned (especially as there were plumbing problems) but we did have a word with the cabin stewardess after a few days and she cleaned it after that.

However you only need to have a lower immune system for any reason and become vulnerable and then you have had it!

I can assure you I take responsibility for my health too. Firstly I never eat in the buffet, I never use the public toilets and always carry a small bottle of Purell which I use constantly to the detriment of my hands. I am obviously more susceptible than most but I can assure you it's not due to MY lack of hygiene.

I can assure you I take responsibility for my health too. Firstly I never eat in the buffet, I never use the public toilets and always carry a small bottle of Purell which I use constantly to the detriment of my hands. I am obviously more susceptible than most but I can assure you it's not due to MY lack of hygiene.

Unfortunately if you are more susceptible then you will easily pick up everything that someone else's poor hygiene has left behind. I know what you mean about the use of Purell being detrimental to your hands, I have found that I have less problems if I use Boots antiviral foam.

At the end of the day none of us want to be ill because of someone else's bad habits but all we can do is to try to eliminate as many possible problem situations that we can. I hope that you manage to avoid problems in the future.

Edited by Josy1953

I do use the buffets and I do sometimes use the public toilets. Having said that I always wash my hands, and use a tissue to open the door when I leave. I actually have a slightly delicate stomach, but in over 10 cruises, have never had a problem, even when there was noro on board.

Out of interest, I looked up the scores of all the P&O ships at their last inspection, as listed on the CDC website. Adonia hasn't been inspected since 2012 and Britannia has not yet had an inspection. The other ships fall into three groups. In the top group, Ventura scored 99, Aurora 98 and Azura 97, which given how thorough and tough these inspections evidently are seem like excellent scores. I suspect that most of our own kitchens wouldn't do that well. In the middle group, Arcadia scored 91 and Oriana 90. Then there was Oceana with her 82, which given that 85 is the "pass" mark is clearly a worrying result.

I was on two of the three Oriana cruises that had norovirus outbreaks and no, I'm not a carrier!

Although I loved the ship and enjoyed my time did have a bit of a dodgy tummy on the second of these cruises so didn't have a great time.

Because of the norovirus outbreaks, my wife has refused to go on the Oriana again. However out cruise on Britannia was bug free and we absolutely loved it.

We have just recently returned from our 14th cruise on a P&O ship we have never been ill on board despite being on Azura two years ago when we had a Norivirus outbreak, I have never had any concerns about hygiene standards aboard ship.

You only have to note how many hospitals in The UK have Nirovirus outbreaks to put things into perspective.

With regards to the Oceana if you read the actual report most of the defects are on the engineering side regarding non return valves etc, these failures may well be due to not meeting US standards rather than international standards.

A few years ago while aboard Arcadia they had a massive preparation for an American CDC inspection as they were calling at an American port after we disembarked.

How often are very well known restaurants at home inspected by the authorities, it may be quite surprising.

Before we cast stones let us all inspect our own kitchens and bathrooms you may well give yourself a surprise, no you are not charging guests but you are still entertaining guests to your house and they have every right to expect the highest standards of hygiene.

Yes agree with all your points. I have never been ill on a cruise, even though I have a sensitive stomach. Trouble is, a lot of the faults, as you say, are engineering and people reading the report wont know that.

We live near Southampton and the local TV and press have had a field day with lots of scary reports about Oceana in particular. We have been on her four times now and have never had any illness - never had a Norovirus outbreak either. We are on Oceana again in a month and have had one friend asking if we intend to go! As has been said if people only read the full report and saw what was included they would have a better picture. So much scare-mongering must really worry people cruising for the first time - though if it has the effect of people really paying attention to their own personal hygiene, especially in the public toilets maybe it's no bad thing. I have no concerns about being on Oceana again.

We were on Oceana at the time of the inspection. I am being completely honest when I say that the cut-backs are becoming more and more obvious and I think the findings of the report reflect this. Everybody knows that there are fewer waiters and stewards than ever and there's no doubt that the number of the crew behind the scenes has been cut back too, meaning maintenance is suffering drastically. It is this constant erosion, however small the issues may seem, that is impacting now on standards and is very worrying IMO. I'm saying this as someone who has spent over 150 nights on Oceana and has been very happy until recently

Edited by tartanexile81

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I assume that the ships know these inspections are happening and so the scores reflect their very best practice in terms of "CookSafe" and general food hygiene standards? So if that is the standard when they know someone is inspecting what is it like when no one (external) is looking?

I remember reading a book written by the first American to complete a full contract as a waiter onboard an American ship (carnival I think). In it he described the lengths the ship went to before coming back into the USA knowing an inspection was planned. Staff worked day and night scrubbing and they even cling filmed the plates etc to stop and contamination before inspection. The scores were that important.

Like others I read the reports and some of it is very minor but it does reflect on systems / checks.

I worked in a university snack bar in the 80s and we did not know when they would turn up to inspect, our supervisor made sure we kept everything spick and span, we had so many rules even then, if we turned up in nail polish she kept remover in a locker and it was used without question, we had to leave our uniform in our locker we could not take it home unless it was for washing, no going on a bus full of germs. That was the 80s so surely they are stricter now with cruise ships travelling all over the world.

I have sailed with Princess and P&O and we are on Oriana this summer, will watch for further updates with interest, or maybe dismay!

May I add that hotels are not immune so many reports on hotels as well, perhaps we should all stay home!

We were on Oceana at the time of the inspection. I am being completely honest when I say that the cut-backs are becoming more and more obvious and I think the findings of the report reflect this. Everybody knows that there are fewer waiters and stewards than ever and there's no doubt that the number of the crew behind the scenes has been cut back too, meaning maintenance is suffering drastically. It is this constant erosion, however small the issues may seem, that is impacting now on standards and is very worrying IMO. I'm saying this as someone who has spent over 150 nights on Oceana and has been very happy until recently

I can only echo your comments. Just returned from a 10 day cruise on Oceana and the cut backs are apparent. Personally I would prefer to pay a few more pennies and have the service levels raised.

I can only echo your comments. Just returned from a 10 day cruise on Oceana and the cut backs are apparent. Personally I would prefer to pay a few more pennies and have the service levels raised.

Hi, could you give some examples as we are due on her in August after a fabulous cruise last April. Don't want to be disappointed. ..

Hi, could you give some examples as we are due on her in August after a fabulous cruise last April. Don't want to be disappointed. ..

Well as everyone knows by now the cabin stewards have more cabins to clean, and there is no way now I think they can do a good job. I noticed on our cruise in Feb, the towels were only changed if we took them down and put them in the bath. If we didn't do that even the hand towels in the toilet would remain day after day.

I've never had to do that before, they've always been changed daily whether or not we've left them on the rails.

Well as everyone knows by now the cabin stewards have more cabins to clean, and there is no way now I think they can do a good job. I noticed on our cruise in Feb, the towels were only changed if we took them down and put them in the bath. If we didn't do that even the hand towels in the toilet would remain day after day.

I've never had to do that before, they've always been changed daily whether or not we've left them on the rails.

Er, don't they tell you that to start with, like most hotels nowadays?