Queen Elizabeth vs QM2

babs135

Following the self-torture of looking at cruises when I'm not in position to book anything, I've seen two voyages that appeal (hopeful we will be able to do something later in the year).

First one is the Xmas Caribbean trip on the QM2, the second is on the Queen Elizabeth to San Francisco in January/February. I think this is the first segment of the world cruise. TA is offering 3 nights in San Francisco and a tour of Napa Valley.

Both appeal, especially as we've not sailed on the Elizabeth before, but I realise that it will be cold. Would appreciate your thoughts.

I had questions, myself, when DH and I first booked on the QE instead of the QM2. I was afraid anything "less" than the QM2 would be a disappointment. Fellow cruise critic posters (particularly lanky lad) offered reassurance and they all proved correct. The QE is a marvelous ship, which we enjoyed enormously.

I think San Francisco is the best of US cities. We love the experience of going through the canal. IMO: take the QE and have a wonderful time!

Jimmybean

Been on both many times. For the North Atlantic QM2 is the only way to go. For cruising I'll take the QE and QV over QM2 any day. I think the interiors of QE/QV are nicer, better flow, the Lidos are far better than King's Court and the theaters more comfortable. The central pool area on QE/QV is also much nicer, QM2's mid-ships pool seems to have been an afterthought. Also, being smaller, QE/QV can tie up in ports that QM2 has to anchor.

Following the self-torture of looking at cruises when I'm not in position to book anything, I've seen two voyages that appeal (hopeful we will be able to do something later in the year).

First one is the Xmas Caribbean trip on the QM2, the second is on the Queen Elizabeth to San Francisco in January/February. I think this is the first segment of the world cruise. TA is offering 3 nights in San Francisco and a tour of Napa Valley.

Both appeal, especially as we've not sailed on the Elizabeth before, but I realise that it will be cold. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Hi there.

I have actually done both to the Caribbean. Of course there is a slightly different feel to each ship but they are, after all, Cunard at heart...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-elizabeth-maiden-season/

8734986204_845fb3d279_z.jpg

We had this exact same dilemma as our Ruby Wedding Anniversary is December next year. We made a pre registration for the QM2 Christmas cruise, then decided because it goes via New York each way, it had too few "good weather" days for us, so planned to swap to So'ton to San Francisco.

After much deliberation, by which time we felt we wouldn't bother doing anything at all because we were so fed up of looking at cruises, we registered the QV round trip Caribbean in November, which takes the Southern route, the QV 5 night New Year trip (over our anniversary)and are planning on doing a segment or two of the World Cruise.

Weather may be less important to you than it is to us, but we felt the increased price for the holidays, wasn't justified with so few good weather days. Personally, QE comes third in our choice of Cunard ships, but at the end of the day that's just personal choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose and have a great time.

Personally, out of these two choices I would opt for the first part of the World Cruise - for me it has a different feel than a Caribbean cruise. Obviously we don't yet know how QM2 will turn out after the refit but I guess it will be good (hopefully better). Queen Elizabeth is a great ship too and if you are thinking Grills then I do think Elizabeth and Victoria are a nicer experience.

Thanks for the replies. We now have a split decision! DH favours the Caribbean whilst I am leaning towards the QE to San Francisco. This could get ugly :eek:

However, the saving grace is that we are simply not in any position to make a definite decision for another 2 or 3 months. Who will weaken? I don't honestly know. It could even come down to something as simple as price. The QM2 is more expensive at the moment but if the QE price drops more (currently at about £500 pp cheaper) then it makes any decision much easier.

BTW, just to muddy the waters further, a couple of online TAs are offering Xmas/New Year to and from New York on the QM2, 4 night in the Big Apple and then a week on the NCL Breakaway to the Bahamas before returning for another night in New York before sailing home. Excellent price (cheapest of the lot), but I'm not keen on the NCL portion. DH likes the price :D

If anyone here has sailed on the NCL Breakaway I would value their opinion.

Thanks for the replies. We now have a split decision! DH favours the Caribbean whilst I am leaning towards the QE to San Francisco. This could get ugly :eek:

However, the saving grace is that we are simply not in any position to make a definite decision for another 2 or 3 months. Who will weaken? I don't honestly know. It could even come down to something as simple as price. The QM2 is more expensive at the moment but if the QE price drops more (currently at about £500 pp cheaper) then it makes any decision much easier.

BTW, just to muddy the waters further, a couple of online TAs are offering Xmas/New Year to and from New York on the QM2, 4 night in the Big Apple and then a week on the NCL Breakaway to the Bahamas before returning for another night in New York before sailing home. Excellent price (cheapest of the lot), but I'm not keen on the NCL portion. DH likes the price :D

If anyone here has sailed on the NCL Breakaway I would value their opinion.

Run do not walk away from the NCL offer as part of a fabulous Cunard vacation. The two lines are similar to shopping at Harrods and your local convenience shop as are the passengers. Have done both and have regretted it ever since.

Run do not walk away from the NCL offer as part of a fabulous Cunard vacation. The two lines are similar to shopping at Harrods and your local convenience shop as are the passengers. Have done both and have regretted it ever since.

I do realise they are as different as chalk and cheese, but is NCL really that bad? DH is seduced by time in New York and the price. He doesn't read the comments on this site and I worry that if I start to tell him what I've read he'll think I'm exaggerating. As far as he's concerned it's a cruise that he fancies, the dates are right and the price is very good. It's hard to argue with that logic.

I happen to like NCL.

What you will notice is:

Not set dining times, you will probably be eating at a 2 top every night.

No formal/dressy evenings. The MOST you have be dressed for one upcharge restaurant (Le Bistro) and the aft dining rooms is trousers (jeans acceptable).

The spa area is great! (surcharge applies)

The show on the Breakaway will have to be pre-booked. Right now I'm not sure what is on board. In the past it was Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Million Dollar Quartet. Both are not being removed and not sure what is in its place.

Music in the evenings in many lounges.

If you looking for a low-key cruise between the Queens its really not that bad. There is no self-service laundry on board NCL ships.

We have done the Christmas cruise 3 times. The first full day going south you will definitely not be able to be outside. By the second day, you can be out there if there is sum but still in sweats. Same for the return. That said, it is a wonderful trip and I would love to do it again at some point. We have done the NY to SFO on the QE once and we are doing it again in 2017. Same deal, can't be outside the first 2 days, but it is a longer trip (19 days vs. 12). We love both ships. There is nothing like the QM2, but the QE is just as nice, smaller and every bit as elegant, if not a little more. If you haven't been through the Panama Canal, that's the way to go, there are 2 Caribbean ports I think and it will be hot hot hot in Panama. This cruise also has Cabo which I am really looking forward to. All in all, I would go with the QE and there was just a price drop on that as well which may make it more attractive. Whatever you decide, have fun!

I happen to like NCL.

What you will notice is:

No formal/dressy evenings. The MOST you have be dressed for one upcharge restaurant (Le Bistro) and the aft dining rooms is trousers (jeans acceptable).

To many of us whose favourite line is Cunard, that will not entice us to try NCL.;)

To many of us whose favourite line is Cunard, that will not entice us to try NCL.;)

We did a 10 night cruise in February on the Norwegian Gem, it leaves out of NY which is our home port, so no flying, which is the enticement. My husband wore a sport coat every night (minority) and I wore a cocktail dress every evening. The women, by and large were well dressed, the men, not as much.

Well said david,Mississauga, quite agree.

(But then nothing would entice me to try NCL... )

Best wishes

Edited by pepperrn

Did this trip this last Christmas the Transatlantic bits were great the Carribean bit was awfull, hoards of uncouth passengers boarded in NY even my husband who does not notice much could not believe their behaviour. Passengers screaming at staff, tables groaning with food then left like a pigty, I am not kidding Never again.

we have booked Christmas on Elizabeth Canaries for 2016.

As for which is best We have been on all 3 and they all have pros and cons, but whichever you choose ship wise you will not be dissapointed.

Just read your bit on the Breakaway, all the people I spoke to who had done the split and gone on the NCL Line said it was not a good experience!

Oh by the way we had force 12 seas/weather and I came down the stairs to Deck 2 and as I turned the corner caught sight of the sea going past those great big windows boy were we traveling 23 knotts apparently it was amazing seeing the speed we were going

Edited by electra2008

Did this trip this last Christmas the Transatlantic bits were great the Carribean bit was awfull, hoards of uncouth passengers boarded in NY even my husband who does not notice much could not believe their behaviour. Passengers screaming at staff, tables groaning with food then left like a pigty, I am not kidding Never again.

Truly surprised at this comment. I didn't think Cunard would attract the type of people you are describing.

Very simple, really. One is a "vista" class cruiser(QE) Subject to much pitch & roll in even very moderate seas. The other is a TRUE Ocean Liner(QM2)Able withstand pretty much whatever nature throws at it. We've not been on the QE. We did the QV & would much prefer the QM2 anytime!

I happen to like NCL.

What you will notice is:

Not set dining times, you will probably be eating at a 2 top every night.

The spa area is great! (surcharge applies)

The show on the Breakaway will have to be pre-booked. Right now I'm not sure what is on board. In the past it was Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Million Dollar Quartet. Both are not being removed and not sure what is in its place.

Music in the evenings in many lounges.

If you looking for a low-key cruise between the Queens its really not that bad. There is no self-service laundry on board NCL ships.

Considering the dislike of NCL by many friends of ours, trust me I wouldn't sail that line. Their dress style is like that of a flea market. I don't feel you need to be in a suit/tux all the time, but shorts & wife beater t's at night,do not make a good trip in my opinion.