Maui Pier Parking Update?

FranknBeans

If you're referring to Kahului, I spoke with someone who works on the POA and they said that the parking lot has been closed due to construction ever since POA got back from dry dock. Some passengers who parked in other areas near the port have had their rental cars towed.

It's a bad situation as my wife and I are sailing in a couple of weeks and need to leave the ship very early the second morning to go SCUBA diving. Our plan was to rent a car for both days but we're not sure what to do now. We're not even sure we could get a taxi at 5:30am.

Thanks for the info. we've decided to rent cars for both days separately so that we can take back and activate second reservation on second day.

I do not want to have to deal with chasing down a towed vehicle and having been to Hawaii so many times the ticket maids hide behind trees and are plentiful

It's a bad situation as my wife and I are sailing in a couple of weeks and need to leave the ship very early the second morning to go SCUBA diving. Our plan was to rent a car for both days but we're not sure what to do now. We're not even sure we could get a taxi at 5:30am.

You might give thought to checking the Hana Highway (not airport) location of Enterprise rental cars. They are very close to the ship and perhaps you could and your wife could walk over there, get your car and be on the road. No need for trying to find a taxi or go to the airport and back. They don't open until 6:00 or 6:30 though we think, but maybe it is worth a shot to see if the idea will work for you or not.

I am so glad I saw this! I have a car rented for both days & was wondering about parking. I will go back & change my reservation to two separate reservations! Thank you!

We are renting from Car Rental Hawaii. In their FAQ it states that the last shuttle from their office to the pier is 4pm each day. So that puts a wrinkle in my plan to rent the car on two separate days.....I want to out later than 4pm!

A fellow CC on my roll call said he paid $40 in 2014 for overnight parking. I guess that's what we will end up doing.

Any recent POA cruisers ( cruising after the post dry dock sailing of 3-15-16 ) who kept a car overnight in Maui who can shed some light?

Is is not clear from the various posts I have seen where the lot in question is actually located. If it is the lot located next to the ship, within the actual port area, this parking was always extremely limited, filling up in the afternoon. Those who arrived at the port gate late afternoon or early evening were directed to a designated lot a block or two away. This lot was fenced, had security patrolling, and had a well lit fenced walkway back to the entry into the port.

So is it this lot or the one inside the port which is now closed? I can well imagine that it could be the one within the port next to the ship as the POA just underwent a huge refurb in dry dock and a lot of work was unfinished and therefore much of it is probably being completed during port hours. So I can see that the port lot might be full of equipment, materials, and cars of tradespeople working on the ship.

Edited by punkincc

Any recent POA cruisers ( cruising after the post dry dock sailing of 3-15-16 ) who kept a car overnight in Maui who can shed some light?

Is is not clear from the various posts I have seen where the lot in question is actually located. If it is the lot located next to the ship, within the actual port area, this parking was always extremely limited, filling up in the afternoon. Those who arrived at the port gate late afternoon or early evening were directed to a designated lot a block or two away. This lot was fenced, had security patrolling, and had a well lit fenced walkway back to the entry into the port.

So is it this lot or the one inside the port which is now closed? I can well imagine that it could be the one within the port next to the ship as the POA just underwent a huge refurb in dry dock and a lot of work was unfinished and therefore much of it is probably being completed during port hours. So I can see that the port lot might be full of equipment, materials, and cars of tradespeople working on the ship.

I can't respond with regards to the pax lots, but any contractors or materials for the ship would be inside the port area, behind the terminal building as this is a commercial wharf area as well.

We are renting from Car Rental Hawaii. In their FAQ it states that the last shuttle from their office to the pier is 4pm each day. So that puts a wrinkle in my plan to rent the car on two separate days.....I want to out later than 4pm!

A fellow CC on my roll call said he paid $40 in 2014 for overnight parking. I guess that's what we will end up doing.

The POA docks on the opposite side of Maui from where the Radiance will be. So overnight parking is different.

After seeing this post I was concerned as we have a two day rental - we are arriving on the POA Apr 17. We booked thru Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but I just talked with an agent at Budget at the Kahului Airport location which is our pick up point.

She does not have good information about parking at the pier, however she did caution me that she has heard some people park at the "mall" and she doesn't recommend that since there is no security. Her advice was to use the Budget Shuttle back and forth and park at the airport overnite ($15) The budget shuttle is free and she said the drop off a the rental office is a short walk to the airport parking lot - as an employee she parks in the same area. She also explained they keep the rentals cars off-site as they have limited parking available for their rental fleet.

The last shuttle to the ship on Sunday nite is about 8:00 pm but we will check again when we pick up our car in the am to make sure we don't miss it ( or we will just get a cab) First shuttle from the ship to the airport is is 7:30 am on Monday - so it may take us a little longer, but she felt this was the best solution. She said she honestly doesn't recommend walking out of the immediate pier area where the shuttles come and go.

Hope that helps anyone else thinking of doing a two day rental like we are.

After seeing this post I was concerned as we have a two day rental - we are arriving on the POA Apr 17. We booked thru Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but I just talked with an agent at Budget at the Kahului Airport location which is our pick up point.

She does not have good information about parking at the pier, however she did caution me that she has heard some people park at the "mall" and she doesn't recommend that since there is no security. Her advice was to use the Budget Shuttle back and forth and park at the airport overnite ($15) The budget shuttle is free and she said the drop off a the rental office is a short walk to the airport parking lot - as an employee she parks in the same area. She also explained they keep the rentals cars off-site as they have limited parking available for their rental fleet.

The last shuttle to the ship on Sunday nite is about 8:00 pm but we will check again when we pick up our car in the am to make sure we don't miss it ( or we will just get a cab) First shuttle from the ship to the airport is is 7:30 am on Monday - so it may take us a little longer, but she felt this was the best solution. She said she honestly doesn't recommend walking out of the immediate pier area where the shuttles come and go.

Hope that helps anyone else thinking of doing a two day rental like we are.

Since the NCL ships started docking at Kahului in 2004, the mall has been pretty stringent about ticketing and towing any overnight parking in their lot.

• 2 weeks later...

We have hired a car from the airport with Discount Hawaii Car rentals. They will pick you up and drop you back to pier. You just select "cruise passengers" in pick up and drop off location. We did the same cruise 3 years ago and parked at the pier. We are on a "Road to Hana" tour on the first day and they are going to kindly drop us off to the car rental at airport so we can have the car overnight for early departure. I will park at the mall or somewhere close to pier and walk it. This way we can leave the ship as early as we like without wasting time and get the full day in. Happy cruising.

We were on the POA post dry dock (April 2nd). The parking lot next to the pier (after security) is not available for parking.

We parked at the Maui Mall overnight. There is a pedestrian walkway back to the ship that we took with several other passengers that had also parked at the mall. We didn't leave anything in the car.

Edited by sjmbruce

Does anyone know how far the mall is from the pier at Kahuli ?

I have heard it described as a 15 minute walk.

Be advised that a review on the main NCL board of cruise ending 4-16 noted that they heard of three cars being towed.

Does anyone know how far the mall is from the pier at Kahuli ?

Just there this week. It was about a 10 minute walk with a bad knee....the entire walkway is fenced on either side. There were plenty of us that parked overnight. There were no signs that we saw regarding overnight parking limitations.

Edited by cinbol