More Specific Alaska Cruise Excursion Questions

GadgetRick

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original thread about excursions for the Alaska cruise. Based on the info you all provided, we've narrowed it down to selecting between some of the ideas. Here are some questions about what was suggested:

Juneau

It's obvious we need to do Mendenhall Glacier but there are so many different ways to see it. We're thinking about one of the helicopter tours but, obviously, they're expensive. Are there cheaper alternatives without booking through Princess? Also, which one is the suggested one. We don't mind spending a bit extra but some of them are extremely expensive.

What about doing one of the other ways of getting there (shuttle) and exploring on our own? I'm sure we don't go as far out as a helicopter can take us but thinking this may make sense. A few of you mentioned this is a good option.

I also know the helicopter will depend on the weather so need an alternative in case we choose to do a helicopter tour and the weather craps out.

Also, what about the float plane trip? Worth it?

Skagway

Definitely want to do the train. However, I was under the impression it was a train ride only but it seems they're all train/coach. Then Chilkoot Charter looks good. Someone else mentioned it. What about this one?

Kitchikan

Really like the idea of Misty Fjord. Is boat the only way to get there? Is that the best way if so?

Thinking about the Married Man Trail and taking the gondola back down as well. Time for this as well as a trip to Misty Fjord?

Is there time for the Lumberjack show as well? The George Inlet Lodge looks good. All-you-can eat crab works for me.

Victoria

Nobody seemed to have many suggestions. We're only in port for about 5 hours so not much time there. Best way to use that time?

Thanks again!

My experience has been that many of the limited participation things such as flightseeing tours may be fully booked by cruise lines & may not be available for booking independently.

In Victoria there was a ship's shuttle into Victoria if you don't want to walk there. Google Maps shows it's about a 1.5 mile, 30 minute walk. My wife used the public bus to enjoy time at Butchart Garden & the butterfly farm.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Regarding Victoria:

If you are walkers (or you could get a cab to the park) Beacon Hill park is about 1 mile from the cruise dock, beautiful, free, and offers lovely views. You can walk through to the downtown side and look around the Inner Harbor. You can then take a water taxi to Fisherman's wharf, and walk about half a mile back to the ship. Or skip the park, walk to the wharf and take the water taxi.

If you're looking for less expensive, there are shuttles in Juneau, a couple of blocks from the ship, that will take you to Mendenhall Glacier for about $40 for 2. This is what we did and it was great!

As for Ketchikan, you want to do too much.... not enough time for all. Just pick one. Remember, you'll have crab legs on the ship... free, in the MDR in Juneau.

Have fun!

GadgetRick,

Do you actually want to go up onto Mendenhall or the Juneau ice-fields?

If not, no need for a helicopter. One can even catch the local shuttle bus from the docks to the Mendenhall visitor center and back. Whale watching is also recommended at Juneau, at Auke Bay. We have booked our own whale watching tour on a smaller boat, instead of booking thru the cruise line. The best ways to see and experience whales would probably be one of these tours out of Juneau. There are also combo tours that would allow you to go to the Mendenhall visitor center, after (or before) whale watching.

For Skagway, you can easily book your own tickets for the train.

The reason one would need a combo train and coach would be to go farther than the train does, to Emerald Lake, for example. There are several options for this. Look at the difference in how lunch is handled. Chilkoot stops for a barbeque and bean lunch at a tourist visitor center, where one can also see the Alaskan Sled Dogs. Others, such as Dyea Dave will stop at Carcross.

Just as there are a few very much recommended private charters for whale watching at Juneau, there are a couple of very much recommended flight-seeing and/or float plane tours to Misty Fjords. I do not think that all of them actually land, but I believe that there is one that does land while at Misty Fjords.

If you have not been on the Alaska forum, on the Ports of Call forums, just below these cruise ship forums, I think that you might find that to be very helpful.

The first time we visited Skagway we did the train/coach. That was the train up to the Yukon boarder and then a coach ride back to Skagway. While the train ride up was really great (and long) and the views were wonderful, I am not sure I would want to repeat it on the trip back down to Skagway. We were grateful to take the bus back which was of course much quicker.

The last time we went to Skagway we rented a car and drove it up through the pass and over to Emerald Lake. That was a lot of fun since we had already done the train ride. We stopped at Carcross which had one general store and a few houses plus an old train station. We bought some packaged food and drink there. When we rented the car, they warned us to not go past Emerald Lake though or we would miss our ship. We listened.

In Juneau we rented a car. We were able to go to the fish hatchery and Mendenhall glacier. They're were five of us, so it really was the cheapest way to do it. It gave us plenty of time to hike in Mendenhall. We had been on tour a few years before and we couldn't do that because of time constraints. My son and I also got passes to the Roberts tram. The views were awesome. It's a full day pass so we rode it up and down a few times.

The first time we were in Ketchikan, we did a tour that was not through Princess. It took us all over the city. I also took us to the totem bright state historic park. We also went to the lumberjack show which was entertaining for our son.

We have ridden the train in Skagway. We did a round-trip that did not involve a coach tour. We enjoyed it I probably wouldn't go on it again. Last trip my son and I went zip lining. That was amazing. My husband and father went four-wheel-driving in the Yukon. They said that was OK.

The two times I've visited Victoria, I went to Bouchard Gardens. Once we went in the day and the other time was in the evening. The place is beautiful! We have also spent time in downtown Victoria just walking around. You could always do tea at the Empress Hotel.

GadgetRick,

Do you actually want to go up onto Mendenhall or the Juneau ice-fields?

If not, no need for a helicopter. One can even catch the local shuttle bus from the docks to the Mendenhall visitor center and back. Whale watching is also recommended at Juneau, at Auke Bay. We have booked our own whale watching tour on a smaller boat, instead of booking thru the cruise line. The best ways to see and experience whales would probably be one of these tours out of Juneau. There are also combo tours that would allow you to go to the Mendenhall visitor center, after (or before) whale watching.

Not sure as I didn't know about the ice fields. Which is better?

We really don't care about whale watching. We can do whale watching a lot of places--even here in FL--and don't want to spend time in Alaska doing that even though I've heard it's nice. I'd prefer to get out and experience other things while I'm there.

For Skagway, you can easily book your own tickets for the train.

The reason one would need a combo train and coach would be to go farther than the train does, to Emerald Lake, for example. There are several options for this. Look at the difference in how lunch is handled. Chilkoot stops for a barbeque and bean lunch at a tourist visitor center, where one can also see the Alaskan Sled Dogs. Others, such as Dyea Dave will stop at Carcross.

Just as there are a few very much recommended private charters for whale watching at Juneau, there are a couple of very much recommended flight-seeing and/or float plane tours to Misty Fjords. I do not think that all of them actually land, but I believe that there is one that does land while at Misty Fjords.

If you have not been on the Alaska forum, on the Ports of Call forums, just below these cruise ship forums, I think that you might find that to be very helpful.

Thanks, will look into all of this.

Yes, def. do some searches and post questions on the Alaska forum under Ports of Call here on TA.

About the train at Skagway.

The one poster mentioned 'long' or 'slow' on the train ride up to White Pass.

I understand that, because one is gaining altitude the train ride up is indeed slower than the train ride back down. I also understand that for most of the journey the train and the highway follow opposite sides of the gorge/valley. So, the views can be different.

There are good threads on the Alaska forum, including photos and video of both options.

The Glaciers are actually where the ice comes down off of the ice fields. So, they are actually one and the same. There are heli tours that will sightsee by air, some that will land for a walk or glacier trek on the ice, and some that offer dog-sledding. (very pricey)