Confused about train trips in Skagway

Heather1972

HI all -

I'm trying to plan out our Skagway portion of our Alaska cruise. I'm confused looking at the umpteen reviews, excursions, and websites. Is White Pass Rail and Yukon Rail the same thing or 2 different rails? Help! TIA

There's only one railway and one company providing rides on the trains - the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway (WP&YR). Unfortunately tripadvisor etc. operate with free text fields and: a) many people are idiots; b) even smart people don't necessarily pay much attention to details on vacation; c) so many different folks resell the service that even if you are smart, pay attention, and are familiar enough with whatever site you're putting your review on to not accidentally start yet another 'new' company, they may be rating the company they bought from as well as the actual train service (e.g. Chilkoot or the cruiseline), plus perhaps a bus ride element all lumped into a single review.

HI all -

I'm trying to plan out our Skagway portion of our Alaska cruise. I'm confused looking at the umpteen reviews, excursions, and websites. Is White Pass Rail and Yukon Rail the same thing or 2 different rails? Help! TIA

Only one pair of rails:

P5190253.jpg

What day of the week also determines the trains and schedule. Which have changed for 2016.

For the basics on the train there are three destinations the summit, Fraiser BC, and Carcross YT. The steam train runs RT to Fraiser, the Bennett Scenic Excursion runs from Skagway to Carcross (bus return). There are also trains that run between Skagway and Fraiser with bus service between Skagway or Carcross. Some of them stop at various tourist attractions between Skagway and Fraiser.

Plus you can add things onto the train. One example is the Best of Skagway tour: Bus/Train combo, Salmon Lunch, Liarsville, Gold panning, and Red Onion Saloon.

Others do train and dog sledding, for example. Look at both what your cruise line offers and what private tour operators offer, and find what is best for your pocket book and what you want to see.

i'm glad you asked this! i was also researching the train trips trying to understand the different. Chilkoot told me in an email that they ' own' their own trains and that they are pulled by diesel engines.

My father was in interested in White pass and Yukon Railway Trail camp - and husband wanted All Aboard: Steam Train White Pass and Yukon Route.

There are subtle differences between all the trips - as the other poster noted. we could only find one option with the steam train!

what one is the best? I was confused also so thank you to everyone for clearing that up. My new confusion is which tour to actually do. Any thoughts?

Are you looking at booking through your cruise line or Chilkoot Tours?

what one is the best? I was confused also so thank you to everyone for clearing that up. My new confusion is which tour to actually do. Any thoughts?

i'm also in the planning stage - and haven't done the tours- so I can't comment based on experience.

Best is hard to define for others. sorry that's not helpful. The trips do have differences so it's hard to say what's best too.

For example between Disney's:

1) White pass and Yukon Railway Trail camp

- this starts with a diesel train with vintage rail cars and then by bus goes to a gold rush camp (liarsville) and then bus to ship. About 4 hours for approx $130

2) All Aboard: Steam Train White Pass and Yukon Route.

- this is a STEAM train that goes roundtrip to the summit. You get champagne at the summit. 4 hours for $200 approx

In the end- my husband chose the Steam train because he specifically wants to be on a steam train. This is best for him.

But others might not care about the train engine and want to do the gold rush camp.

it's tricky because they all seem similar on the surface. You really have to look at the details. I break them down on spreadsheet to compare them easily.

HI all -

It's the White Pass and Yukon Railway only one line. Starts from beside the ship on the dock. Expensive but We think it was worth the money

Fascinating history. Ken and Joan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

i'm glad you asked this! i was also researching the train trips trying to understand the different. Chilkoot told me in an email that they ' own' their own trains and that they are pulled by diesel engines.

My father was in interested in White pass and Yukon Railway Trail camp - and husband wanted All Aboard: Steam Train White Pass and Yukon Route.

There are subtle differences between all the trips - as the other poster noted. we could only find one option with the steam train!

It's quite possible that Chilkoot do own (or lease) their own CARRIAGE for the exclusive use of folks who buy excursions through them. I've heard that cruiseline excursions also have carriages that are only for the folks with Princess etc.

But everyone is pulled by the same engines, on the same tracks, which are all WP&YR, and as you've already found most departures use diesel-electrics with only occasional trips getting a steam engine (and check your contract carefully - I wager that they reserve the right to substitute a diesel...)

Also, be aware that almost any of the one-way adventures (with return provided by an alternate means of transportation) could easily be operated in the opposite direction. The train+bike would be the primary exception, as it's sold as a downhill ride. :D

When we did the Bennett Lake ride, the train dropped off its passengers at the station, then used the wye to turn around and park on a siding. The train crew then hopped into a van to drive back to Skagway, and a fresh crew would return the following day to operate the train in the reverse direction.

Since there's often only one set of rails and passengers tend to not enjoy long stretches parked in a siding, the WP&YR does a fairly impressive job of figuring out the ballet of trains. The longest outbound run for the day goes first, followed by progressively shorter one-way outbound runs, then shorter round-trips, etc.

I've heard that the longer the train ride, the more people seem to like it. We've only done the longest one, and while neat to see/experience, we did it on a relatively hot day, and many folks ended up napping for part of the ride from Bennett Lake to Carcross. My biggest frustration is that the WP&YR refuses to put speakers on the platforms between cars, so if you want to hear the narration you have to remain inside the car, but if you want to photograph without going through glass you'll be on the platform. When they hand out the surveys (at least when we did it), the guide said don't bother suggesting speakers...we won't do it. Ugh.

The RR does have a special car for the private tour operators it may involve the tour companies leasing it - or not. In 2012 I took the Bennett Scenic tour through Chilkoot there were a total of 12 of us in the car (as opposed to 25-30 per car for the cruise ship pax. There were also only 5 of us on the tour - everyone had a great seat on the bus.

The RR has made some schedule changes for 2016 - see their website for more details.

The summit RT trains start May 3 - the actual first ship to visit Skagway is Apr 29 - The crystal serenity the next week three HAL ships are in port starting May 3.

The Frasier Steam trains begin on May 20.

The Frasier one ways begin May 3rd

the Bennett Scenic Journey begins May 31

Note in the early season the trains only run when there is a ship in port.

The summit RT trains start May 3 - the actual first ship to visit Skagway is Apr 29 - The crystal serenity the next week three HAL ships are in port starting May 3.

The Frasier Steam trains begin on May 20.

The Frasier one ways begin May 3rd

the Bennett Scenic Journey begins May 31

Note in the early season the trains only run when there is a ship in port.

thank you!