Vacation Protection Price Increase

I searched for this in the forum search but couldn't find a similar thread so thought I'd ask here.

I call and get a copy of our sailing reservations about once a month just to keep track of things. This morning, I noticed a price increase in our Vacation Protection for only one our reservations (I have two reservation numbers that are linked together, our room and a room for my daughter and mother). The latest invoice shows a $30 increase, per person, for one reservation number; no explanation is given. The other reservation is still the same as when we booked.

Before I call RCI to check on things I wanted to see if anyone had run into this before.

Thanks!

I know the price of Royal's insurance is based on the cost of the stateroom. Did your stateroom cost change at all?

Great question; it made me go back and double check. But no. In fact the only price difference between the two reservations is the $60 increase.

We did book and pay for shore excursions already, and there is some difference there as our daughter is still considered a child for 1 of the 3. But I wasn't thinking that would effect the Vacation Protection (especially since my Mom's didn't increase).

Great question; it made me go back and double check. But no. In fact the only price difference between the two reservations is the $60 increase.

We did book and pay for shore excursions already, and there is some difference there as our daughter is still considered a child for 1 of the 3. But I wasn't thinking that would effect the Vacation Protection (especially since my Mom's didn't increase).

Excursions should have no effect on the insurance premium.

All I can suggest is to call them and ask for an explanation. If you don't mind, please report back. Curious if they are raising prices on the insurance.

I remember on our first cruise, getting cruise protection.

After that, we just stopped doing it, seeing it as an added "thing" to spend money on. But, I know....we have been taking a risk because you never know, something could happen.

However, with this Anthem storm that returned early? I've seen people who had cruise protection try to claim their insurance regarding flights returning home and their insurance didn't say that the early return was an inconvenience, but this left hundreds of folk stranded as they had to wait in the port area until their "officially scheduled" cruise period was over to fly back. I saw that as a HUGE NO for us booking cruise protection in the future and I see that money being a waste of cash (in this instance).

So, take it at your own risk. I just won't get it anymore.

Excursions should have no effect on the insurance premium.

All I can suggest is to call them and ask for an explanation. If you don't mind, please report back. Curious if they are raising prices on the insurance.

Thanks, Bob. I did call them as planned. They indicated it was a technical glitch and should not have increased. It was fortunate I had my previous month's confirmation on hand. They fixed the error and lowered our total price again.

Good reminder to always ask for copies of confirmations and keep them even when a new one is sent!

Thanks, Bob. I did call them as planned. They indicated it was a technical glitch and should not have increased. It was fortunate I had my previous month's confirmation on hand. They fixed the error and lowered our total price again.

Good reminder to always ask for copies of confirmations and keep them even when a new one is sent!

Appreciate the feedback, and I agree about keeping all the confirmations.:)

I remember on our first cruise, getting cruise protection.

After that, we just stopped doing it, seeing it as an added "thing" to spend money on. But, I know....we have been taking a risk because you never know, something could happen.

However, with this Anthem storm that returned early? I've seen people who had cruise protection try to claim their insurance regarding flights returning home and their insurance didn't say that the early return was an inconvenience, but this left hundreds of folk stranded as they had to wait in the port area until their "officially scheduled" cruise period was over to fly back. I saw that as a HUGE NO for us booking cruise protection in the future and I see that money being a waste of cash (in this instance).

So, take it at your own risk. I just won't get it anymore.

For me, I see it as a gamble in my favor. I will hopefully never have to use it, but if we were to ever need to cancel at the last minute, or if transportation was ever an issue (delayed flight, car trouble, etc) I'll be much calmer knowing I have it. I'd rather be out a small amount now than a huge amount down the road.

I hope all are aware that RCI's travel insurance does not cover independently booked air as of June 2014. Only if you booked air thru' Choice Air, called AirtoSea now, is your air covered. That may have been the problem with folks on the above mentioned Anthem cruise.

Happened to me when I called to change staterooms last week. I got an invoice at that time for $0 balance due, and then an email a few days later saying I had a $30 balance due. It was a weekend and we were out of town, so I just paid it decided to deal with sorting it out later. Called C&A when we got back to town and they said it was an error and refunded the $30.