Sleeping 4 w/o Kids in Same Bed?

pdcsgirl

Beginning to research Alaska for 2017 and am wondering how HAL sleeps a family of 4 in a balcony cabin. We are spoiled because we went on a Disney cruise on which DH and I shared a queen, and each kid had his/her own bed--one on the couch that was made up as a bed at night and one on a pull down bed over the couch. So the kids were in a bunk bed type set up rather than sharing a full, double or queen bed. They don't do well in the same bed; also male and female.

Can I get a similar set up on HAL, and if so, what do I look for on the deck plans? Also, is there a way to tell on the deck plans whether any couch is closer to the balcony (preferred) or close to the front door/bathroom?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pdcsgirl
added a question

I believe all HAL quads are this way. All HAL plans say "2 lower beds, 1 sofa bed, 1 upper". The two lower are most often pushed together to form a queen. They are marked with a square.

Edited by jtl513

The problem we have found with HAL verandah quads (at least on the Vista/Signature classes) is that the pullman bed is over the main queen bed and not over the sofa bed (like on Disney).

This has kept us from doing more HAL cruises as I don't really want one of kids sleeping right over our heads. We did Princess to Alaska last summer specifically because of the sleeping arrangements. We were able to get the bunk bed type setup we wanted on Princess.

There are not a ton of quad balcony cabins on HAL. On the deck plans you want to look for the rooms with a square icon on them. Every HAL verandah cabin I have been in has had the sofa closest to the balcony door.

They will pull it out and put it back each night for you.[/quote

Of course, but we still lose that space when the kids are sleeping, and it makes it hard for us to get to the balcony during that time.

They will pull it out and put it back each night for you.[/quote

Of course, but we still lose that space when the kids are sleeping, and it makes it hard for us to get to the balcony during that time.

You sleep on the sofa, or move the kids there after you go to bed. You would have to pull the couch out yourself in this scenario.

Another option ONLY if you move the child after they are asleep, is to fold the end of the bed up to allow access to the balcony. This is easy and we would do it when I was in the cabin and the children were still in Club Hal until 10:00 (I get up at 4:00 so wasn't usually up too late). I wouldn't do this with the child in the bed though.

Two can not sleep in the sofa bed unless it is a Neptune suite, which is a larger bed. The veranda cabins of this class have a single sofa bed.

I agree with the OP, the Disney configuration is MUCH better and we HOPE Koningsdam will have this configuration. We tried hard to find out about the bed configuration on the Westerdam before our 20 night cruise in April 2015 and asked our TA who stated (with authority) that the cabin bed configuration would be the same as Disney...ah no, not quite.

Disney configuration:

ry%3D400

Another option, which may not be for your family, is to book an oceanview or inside which will have no floor space taken up by the sofa bed (unless it is the large insides on the visa class. We have had the lower beds pushed together into a queen but find there is more room with them kept seperate:

ry%3D400

We booked two inside cabins before the balcony (VC category) last year.

Honestly though, we got used to the bed over the bed quickly and I wouldn't hesitate to book again. Of course I would have preferred not to have the sofa bed but having the balcony was such a treat for me. Although the picture may make it look like there is space to walk at the end of the bed, there really isn't enough room at the end of the bed for an adult to squish by so I got used to humping over the bed and even though our son was 10, he never woke up.

Picture didn't work so I will put it below

The Koningsdam has yet to sail with paying passengers but I hold out hope. They have new family oceanview (not lanai) cabins with the Disney type baths but we took an upsell to a double verandah cabin so we will find out!

Edited by 1of4

When we were planning an AK trip the photos from 1of4 helped us.

http://halfacts.com/4163-westerdam/

If this link doesn't work google "4163-westerdam" and pick the one with 10f4 mentioned.

Sightcrr

So happy to hear my pictures helped! Thank you! I try to take pictures of quad cabins and children's facilities as they are the big HAL secret!

The new Ms Koningsdam has family lanai's which are very new on HAL & sound quite interestng.. None of the other ships have what is called a Family Lanai..You might want to look into them too..

The family cabins are just ocean view, no verandah. These would have been very appealing, but no balcony is a deal breaker for us. We are still looking to sail on the Koningsdam in Feb. next year, but waiting to find out the verandah cabin sleeping arrangements. Preview cruise left today with inaugural in a few days so hopefully we will know something soon.

We've booked inside "J" cabins for AK since you have lots of light late..thought kids would sleep better. They are very large cabins with more floor space than the verandahs. Check them out as an alternative. They are only on the larger ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've booked inside "J" cabins for AK since you have lots of light late..thought kids would sleep better. They are very large cabins with more floor space than the verandahs. Check them out as an alternative. They are only on the larger ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good idea just know that the 4th bed is a fold out sofa bed that blocks the way to the bathroom.....

Hal designers need an update when it comes to designing family cabins!!