20 year olds and alcohol on ncl

hummy0605

I know i am opening myself up to a lot of comments and opinions but....

We are booked on ncl jade in august this year. We booked back in august 2015 and still have the 2015/16 brochure that we booked from.

In the back of that it quotes the alcohol policy and states "however giests 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round trip european voyages without having to complete the young adult alcoholic beverage waiver form". (Doesn't say a restriction of wine and beer)

After now reading cruise critic it says they can only drink wine or beer providing a waiver is completed by parents onboard.

We have our daughter and her boyfriend who are 20 and turn 21 in october and november and also our 19 year niece (her parents are onboard) but our daughters boyfriend isn't.

They aren't alcoholics so please no lectures but are of legal drinking age for uk and europe. They have also only booked a caribbean cruise for next january for after they turn 21 but that is for there.

My point for the question is how will we go on with a) boyfriends parent not sailing and b) our brochure states can consume alcoholic beverages without a waiver form

Know i am opening a can of worms but here goes...

We were just on the Escape in March, and I was able to sign the waiver for my daughter's friend. Not sure if it was a fluke, but they allowed it. We are travelling again over NYE, and this time I am going to bring a notarized letter from the friend's father saying it is ok. I will give that to them and see if they allow me to sign the waiver again. I suggest bringing a notarized letter with you. It may or may not work - just be aware of that! Also, the beer and wine restriction is on US cruises.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

I would go with NCL is telling you before what you read posted on any web site. If indeed you are on a RT European voyage, then those rules seem to apply. However if the rules requiring the waiver apply, a parent or documented legal guardian must be present to sign the waiver.

A side point here in reply to "They aren't alcoholics so please no lectures but are of legal drinking age for uk and europe". Alcoholism is a disease that has nothing to do with age or with quantity of alcohol consumed. No lecture intended, just a point of clarification.

Have a wondeful cruise!

Edited by SPB in da RVA

I was aboard the Jade last year Europe sailing. My 20 year old was allowed to drink and no waiver needed. They are not allowed to have the UBP, even if given as a perk. DD got a soda sticker. They were allowed to purchase whatever drinks they desired, no questions asked, no forms to fill out.

There were probably about 20-30 kids onboard that were in the same age range. While waiting to board in Venice the kids around the same age range started talking to each other and by that evening they had quite a group. DD met her first true love on the Jade, well in Venice while waiting to board. They are still mad about each other. We sailed in May though and there were quite a few study abroad kids with their parents who picked them up from school. I imagine the same would be true for an August sailing with the parents planning a cruise prior to dropping kids off for study abroad year.

OP:

Unfortunately the passenger ticket contract trumps any brochure or other marketing materials you might have so the value of it is nil.

However you're in luck because said contract states the same thing:

"However, Guests 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on roundtrip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form."

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest-Ticket-Contract-11-2015.pdf

I wasn't allowed to sign for my daughters friend, they were both 20. I was allowed to sign the waiver for my daughter. I also needed to show proof she was my daughter (different last names).

For a Europe sailing? I am certain that for Europe sailing No waiver is needed for a 20 year old.

I wasn't allowed to sign for my daughters friend, they were both 20. I was allowed to sign the waiver for my daughter. I also needed to show proof she was my daughter (different last names).

That was for a Boston to Bermuda cruise, not Europe...

We are booked on ncl jade in august this year. We booked back in august 2015 and still have the 2015/16 brochure that we booked from.

In the back of that it quotes the alcohol policy and states "however giests 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round trip european voyages without having to complete the young adult alcoholic beverage waiver form". (Doesn't say a restriction of wine and beer)

After now reading cruise critic it says they can only drink wine or beer providing a waiver is completed by parents onboard.

We have our daughter and her boyfriend who are 20 and turn 21 in october and november and also our 19 year niece (her parents are onboard) but our daughters boyfriend isn't.

They aren't alcoholics so please no lectures but are of legal drinking age for uk and europe. They have also only booked a caribbean cruise for next january for after they turn 21 but that is for there.

My point for the question is how will we go on with a) boyfriends parent not sailing and b) our brochure states can consume alcoholic beverages without a waiver form

Remember that 90% of the posters on the boards are posting about cruises in the Caribbean or out of the US.

According to the current brochure the rule has not changed. Passengers on European round trip cruises who are 18 and older can consume alcoholic beverages without the approval or presence of a parent. So it seems that you you have no worries.

I do not understand the problem. You are on a European sailing. On those sailings the drinking age is 18.

No waiver needed.

Edited by NMLady

Here is a link to the current policy on NCL.com.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages

"Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form."

Alcoholic drinks that are not beer and wine might still fall into the category of being different from your original info. But as mentioned above, there hasn't been a history of a problem on European cruises.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I would go with NCL is telling you before what you read posted on any web site. If indeed you are on a RT European voyage, then those rules seem to apply. However if the rules requiring the waiver apply, a parent or documented legal guardian must be present to sign the waiver.

A side point here in reply to "They aren't alcoholics so please no lectures but are of legal drinking age for uk and europe". Alcoholism is a disease that has nothing to do with age or with quantity of alcohol consumed. No lecture intended, just a point of clarification.

Have a wondeful cruise!

Thank you for your reply - i didn't mean to sound flippant with my post and sorry if i caused any offence. It's just that looking over previous postings on this topic the person that posted got an awful lot of abuse and moral judgement. 99% of the time my daughter drives when they go out so doesn't drink but on holiday likes to chill and have a couple but doesn't like wine or beer. This really would have affected our decision to book with ncl if we had known as thought all cruise lines were the same in europe and were over 18.

Thank you for your reply - i didn't mean to sound flippant with my post and sorry if i caused any offence. It's just that looking over previous postings on this topic the person that posted got an awful lot of abuse and moral judgement. 99% of the time my daughter drives when they go out so doesn't drink but on holiday likes to chill and have a couple but doesn't like wine or beer. This really would have affected our decision to book with ncl if we had known as thought all cruise lines were the same in europe and were over 18.

Absolutely no offense taken, even slightly. I am all too aware of the type of response one can get here especially from a certain sub-population of members who think that the length of their signature indicates their relative importance or the value of their opinions. I do hope that you got the answer(s) that you were looking for and wish nothing but the best cruise experience for you and all of your group.

Here is a link to the current policy on NCL.com.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages

"Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form."

Alcoholic drinks that are not beer and wine might still fall into the category of being different from your original info. But as mentioned above, there hasn't been a history of a problem on European cruises.

Thanks for your reply - the link though still only says they can drink beer or wine without having a waiver. So if they want a spirit and coke they won't get served? Rci didn't cut or mark their cards when they were 19 and 18 and they were able to buy what they wanted off heir own cards

I was aboard the Jade last year Europe sailing. My 20 year old was allowed to drink and no waiver needed. They are not allowed to have the UBP, even if given as a perk. DD got a soda sticker. They were allowed to purchase whatever drinks they desired, no questions asked, no forms to fill out.

There were probably about 20-30 kids onboard that were in the same age range. While waiting to board in Venice the kids around the same age range started talking to each other and by that evening they had quite a group. DD met her first true love on the Jade, well in Venice while waiting to board. They are still mad about each other. We sailed in May though and there were quite a few study abroad kids with their parents who picked them up from school. I imagine the same would be true for an August sailing with the parents planning a cruise prior to dropping kids off for study abroad year.

Were they able to just get beer or wine or could they get spirits or cocktails? Did they cut or mark their cards to show they were under 21?

we are sailing on the breakaway to Bermuda and my stepson will be 20..I can't find anything that says he can't use the ubp. I do understand he can only buy beer and wine.

"You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol."

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Also in promo terms:

"Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package."

No alcoholic packages for anyone under 21, even with parental consent.

Edited by Demonyte

I think it depends on the legal drinking age where you are cruising. We sailed on the Getaway to the Caribbean when my DD was 18. I signed the waiver for her - and she could drink beer and wine. I was not able to sign a waiver for her best friend, though - and don't think having a notarized form would have worked, either (I think we looked into this before sailing). I don't believe you need a waiver on European cruises - the drinking ages are younger there than in the US.

I think it depends on the legal drinking age where you are cruising. We sailed on the Getaway to the Caribbean when my DD was 18. I signed the waiver for her - and she could drink beer and wine. I was not able to sign a waiver for her best friend, though - and don't think having a notarized form would have worked, either (I think we looked into this before sailing). I don't believe you need a waiver on European cruises - the drinking ages are younger there than in the US.

LOL......did you read ANY of the previous posts?