Credit Card Travel Insurance.....

ksmcdonald

Has anyone out there successfully filed a claim for reimbursement from travel insurance provided by your credit card company, for example Chase Sapphire Preferred card? Is it really a benefit that you can collect on, without a bunch of fine print rules when you go to use it?

Of course, free travel insurance (included in benefit from having a credit card) sounds great, until you actually need to use it. My main concern is we live in Northern Ohio and the winters are unpredictable when it comes to flying out. My main concern is if we ever miss a cruise due to not being able to get the the ship before sailing.

Not for travel, but I'm in the middle of purchase protection from Discover. So far, it seems pretty straight forward. Since it is for electronics, I'm still waiting for them to figure out the damage.

Has anyone out there successfully filed a claim for reimbursement from travel insurance provided by your credit card company, for example Chase Sapphire Preferred card? Is it really a benefit that you can collect on, without a bunch of fine print rules when you go to use it?

Of course, free travel insurance (included in benefit from having a credit card) sounds great, until you actually need to use it. My main concern is we live in Northern Ohio and the winters are unpredictable when it comes to flying out. My main concern is if we ever miss a cruise due to not being able to get the the ship before sailing.

No, I always buy separate travel insurance for the medical coverage, my credit card insurance does not cover medical coverage. I buy the insurance just in case I would need a medical evacuation as 25,000 would be a major hit to me. Missing a cruise and losing 1500.00, I can deal with, if need be

No, OP, sorry, I haven't used it.:o But I'll be following because I, too, would love to know. My Carnival FunPoints World MC provides free travel insurance and I'd love to hear if anyone has ever used it. I wonder if it's comprehensive enough to be the only trip insurance we need.

Yes. We have the Carnival MasterCard and got our cruise fare reimbursed last year when DW broke her ankle the day before leaving on an Alaskan cruise. We really didn't have any other losses as we drove to Seattle and were staying with family, so I can't answer what else would be covered. Carnival reimbursed the taxes and port fees, and MasterCard reimbursed the cruise fare.

I called the company that handles the insurance part of the card, they sent me some forms to fill out (received and sent back electronically), got a form filled out by the Dr., and we got reimbursed within 2-3 weeks.

I was surprised at how quick and easy it was. Of course YMMV...

Bob

You should ask on the travel insurance board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

...since this is not a Carnival-specific question.

I always purchase a plan (and even bought an annual this year because I was sailing 3 times) because I want the medical evacuation coverage. But if my credit card would cover everything else, it's probably possible to purchase a plan that just covers the emergency medical. Perhaps I'm paying for coverage I don't need.

I also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card but have not had to file a claim.

I don't buy extra travel insurance but I DO have an annual separate medical insurance plan which includes evacuation/repatriation etc.

You can certainly buy just that coverage. Mine is from

GeoBlue Trekker .