Cooked vegetables or just salad bars?

Jesyth

So - this may seem like a really silly question, but I've never cruised before so unsure of the situation. Do the buffets and MDRs have cooked veggies as well or just big salad bars? I try to eat a fair amount of veg and am not very picky about it but can't eat salads (not that I don't like them - actually can't). I ask because years ago when staying in the Caribbean it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find cooked vegetables at the resorts so it's made me very wary, lol.

I think it depends on exactly what you are looking for. Are you just looking for plain steamed vegetables? I think it is hard to find that. But there are plenty of cooked dishes that have vegetables in them. For example, there could be a beef dish that happens to have some vegetables in it. There is always a vegetarian Indian dish as well. There could also be some cooked vegetable dish such as zucchini gratin.

If you want plain steamed/cooked vegetables without sauce, you could always ask the guy at the pasta station to just cook some broccoli for you.

I think it depends on exactly what you are looking for. Are you just looking for plain steamed vegetables? I think it is hard to find that. But there are plenty of cooked dishes that have vegetables in them. For example, there could be a beef dish that happens to have some vegetables in it. There is always a vegetarian Indian dish as well. There could also be some cooked vegetable dish such as zucchini gratin.

If you want plain steamed/cooked vegetables without sauce, you could always ask the guy at the pasta station to just cook some broccoli for you.

There have always been many vegetable sides other than the vegetables found in the main dishes. And not the same ones every night. For example, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, scalloped potatoes, various corn dishes, carrots and other root vegetables cooked a variety of ways. It pays to walk completely around the buffet on both sides of the ship. They are not always identical. Occassionally I find a hidden gem on one side or the other.

Edited by punkincc

I've found a lot of good cooked vegetables on the buffet. Who knew that I would love parsnips....never had them before but now I look for them!

Aren't parsnips wonderful? I've recently discovered them, too! Sweeter than potatoes, but not as sweet as carrots.

I've started roasting vegetables in the oven with just olive oil, salt & pepper, with rosemary and a little garlic. I've found myself picking out the parsnips first and eating all of them!

When in the Main Dining Room you won't see them listed as an extra on the menu HOWEVER steamed vegetables are ALWAYS AVAILABLE if you ask your server. Its usually broccoli or cauliflower sometimes mixed with carrots. This should be no problem for the kitchen either. I always ask for vegetables because they aren't always on the plate with the mains.

Pardon me asking, but why can't you eat salads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

NMLady is essentially right; I have a type of pre-ulcerative irritable bowel disease and have trouble processing "roughage" - most raw vegetables are very hard to digest, lettuce in particular is harsh on the digestive system (partly because of the large quantity you'd eat in a salad, also). They think it's possibly the early stages of ulcerative colitis; I have other auto-immune diseases that frequently occur with that one. Either way, occasionally I can eat it, but it's often not a fun experience a few hours later and sick at sea is not something I'm trying to go for.

Also, a little known fact is that Letture/Leafy Greens are the leading cause of non-meat related food poisoning. It's relatively common; they are easy to be contaminated either in their packing/processing facility OR at the venue serving them. Salad buffets are usually big offenders (through no real fault of the venue/nothing that most people would think would cause cross contamination, in most cases). Salad also is known to go bad quickly in small spots that area easy to miss - i.e. maybe just one or two leaves get slimy, so they don't chuck the whole batch of course. I take multiple systemic immunosuppressants - so while there may be something mildly contaminated with a not seriously food born bacteria or virus or that once sat next to something past it's prime that doesn't effect 95% of people or only perhaps makes you feel a bit yucky for an hour or two, it could make me seriously ill. I've gotten (verified) food poisoning 3 times from lettuce, twice while traveling. It's frankly miserable. My doctors and I have just agreed all around it's time to avoid lettuce, especially if I can't buy a container of triple washed organic and do all the handling myself. Lol.

The buffet on the BA had lots of cooked veggies in Dec.

I was on a diet for health as well as weight reasons and I had no problem finding food.

I'd skip the MDR, as you can see what's available and take the portion you want at the buffet.

Contact the AccessDesk@NCL.com , for special needs.

They'll work with you to make sure that you have whatever dietary needs you... need (or almost whatever).

They might tell you in this case just to ask a server each time.

But if it needs more planning, there will be someone on board to help passengers with special dietary needs.

You won't be alone with special dietary needs, that's for sure. Some are just more common than others. (For some extra special needs, NCL would need more time to arrange it OR to tell the passenger that they can't. Your request wouldn't be among those, however.)

Relax and ENJOY!

I don't think you would necessarily even need to contact them in advance. My son is peanut and shellfish allergic and my wife needs a low-salt diet. For the buffets at lunch she would have a chef walk her down the line and tell her what is ok and what is not ok.

For dinner, on the first day she went to the MDR in advance and pre-ordered their meals with the consultation of the chef. Then each night at dinner the AMD gave her the menu for the next night and they would discuss and she would place her order.

On that note, if anyone has any kind of food allergies/issues, it always pays to ask rather than taking a chance. My son's shellfish allergy is very specific, he seems to be allergic only to lobster, shrimp and crab. He can eat clams and calamari with no issues. He loves clam chowder, and when we preordered it the ADM said it would be fine if he isn't allergic to clams. The next night, he got the other soup, and it turns out the chef noticed the order and wouldn't give it to him because he said it was made with a lobster stock. When clam chowder showed up again on a different day in the buffet, the chef there checked and this one was made with different stock.

Kudos to NCL for their attention and concern to dietary restrictions. Can't say enough good things about the dining team.

Yeah, no specific food needs as far as no salt/fat/kosher/etc, so nothing that needs planning in advance/special accommodation for with food but I hear they are very helpful and professional about it. I am anaphylactic allergic to pine nuts (only pine nuts) and was told much like another poster (I called about other issues that I do need accommodation for), if it's only a specific item like that, as long as I'm comfortable with dealing with it that way, if in doubt just to ask about the particular item. That's my daily life norm so nothing new. (pine nuts don't pop up much other than in pesto)

I just started eating a plant based diet and I found lots of great choices at the buffet for lunch and dinner besides salad. If you eat cheese and dairy, there's even more. The pool grill also offers a veggie burger that was good.