No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

My dd drinks IPOs and craft beers. Does the Breakaway serve any kind of beer like this?

How about Red Stripe (for my son).

You need to go to the District on the Escape to come anywhere close to a craft beer offering on NCL.

http://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/District-1.jpg

http://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/District-2.jpg

http://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/District-4.jpg

If you do NOT get the package, are there drinks available free on the pool deck? I am obviously talking non-alcoholic. Or do we need to get a waiter every time we want water or ice tea? Is there a self-serve place, or are we going to have to pay tip every time we want a free coffee or tea?
If there isn't a beverage center on the pool deck, you can get water and/or iced tea in the buffet. You can also order from the pool deck waiter and no, you don't have to tip them.

To Hawkeyetlse

Thank you for the information & wine list aboard the ship. We thought I should share this information. We are active wine drinkers at home & on the cruise. We usually never find a suitable white wine at the bars or the house wine being offered by the cruise line. We are forced to purchase their beverage package just to get something drinkable. Even then we order bottled wine at dinner to complement the meal. So as a way by example: This is what we can purchase wine for at home in Arizona vs the ship charges.

White Wine on NCL similar to competing cruise lines.

White Zinfandel Beringer, Calofornia Ship $36.00 Total Wine Store $11.00

Chardonnay Meridan Vineyards, California Ship $36.00 Total Wine $7.99

Chardonnay Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuissee Burgandy France Ship $65.00 Total Wine $14.95

Chardonnay Robert Mondavi Private Selection Ship $ 40.00 Total Wine $8.95

My point is the mark-up on alcohol products is obscene & expensive. This does not include the usual 18% added as a service charge or gratitutity. Also as a consumer we are purchasing 1-6 bottles at a time. Imagine what discount the cruise line gets, for ordering thousands of cases of wine across all of their ships.

Understanding I am not complaining, just pointing out that drinking wine on any cruise can be expensive & of poor quality.

Happy Travels, John

Why would you expect the markup on wine on a cruise not be substantial, it is comparable to any restaurant.

I don't think this is a fair criticism for what it's worth. There are a lot of alcohol choices.

It's funny to me b/c this post is similar to someone complaining there was no Diet Coke or a local microbrew on board. They can't be all things to all people, but they cater to most.

They downgraded the quality of wine they include while raising the price of their UBP (which means an increased service charge).

It's a completely fair criticism to me.

If you do NOT get the package, are there drinks available free on the pool deck? I am obviously talking non-alcoholic. Or do we need to get a waiter every time we want water or ice tea? Is there a self-serve place, or are we going to have to pay tip every time we want a free coffee or tea?
Free self-serve beverages are available in the buffet, consisting of iced tea, lemonade, coffee, hot tea, and water. You could ask for a water at the bar on the pool deck as well, but you would have to get up out of your chaise lounge to do that. You could get a soda package, which you could then give your card to a waiter to get your soda. If you're gonna ask for a free glass of ice water to a waiter that is walking around on the pool deck, I would ask for two and tip them a buck.

Most of their wines are low-end. [emoji13]

This is so not true. One of the most decorated wines is Opus One which is a Mondavi wine selling in a total wine for around 180. Mondavi Reserves, they have a lovely carneros pinot is around 65 at total wine. Yes , if you buy woodbridge by mondavi, it is low end. Robert Mondavi is responsible for making wine mainstream for Americans, his Fume Blanc got Americans to consider Sauvignon Blanc. he family new partnerships with vineyards in Argentina are amazing.

This is so not true. One of the most decorated wines is Opus One which is a Mondavi wine selling in a total wine for around 180. Mondavi Reserves, they have a lovely carneros pinot is around 65 at total wine. Yes , if you buy woodbridge by mondavi, it is low end. Robert Mondavi is responsible for making wine mainstream for Americans, his Fume Blanc got Americans to consider Sauvignon Blanc. he family new partnerships with vineyards in Argentina are amazing.

Actually that is so true. Just because they have few good ones, does not make the statement "most of their wines are low-end" false.

There are many, many, divisions of Mondavi wines. Some , specialize in low end. The Mondavi family has split off and the original group is back to producing the excellent award winning wine that put them on the map. Unfortunately , you as well as many others have now only associated the Mondavi with low end wines.

Most of the offered wines are at the low end. This should be of no surprise, after all with a promo that allows unlimited drinking why would the cruise line offer expensive wines.

What irritated the heck out of me is that NCL drastically reduced what was available for the beverage package. There are no robust cabs or chardonnays. That is what I like to drink the most. There are still some choices that I can make do with. There are a couple of cabs and chardonnays offered as well as a merlot that will work, but it does lower the overall value of the package.

Most of the offered wines are at the low end. This should be of no surprise, after all with a promo that allows unlimited drinking why would the cruise line offer expensive wines.

What irritated the heck out of me is that NCL drastically reduced what was available for the beverage package. There are no robust cabs or chardonnays. That is what I like to drink the most. There are still some choices that I can make do with. There are a couple of cabs and chardonnays offered as well as a merlot that will work, but it does lower the overall value of the package.

As has been pointed out in this thread, the UBP wine-list is as dismal as the ship's beer list has been for a LONG time.

As has been pointed out in this thread, the UBP wine-list is as dismal as the ship's beer list has been for a LONG time.

There was a change made months, not years ago that reduced wine choices from something like 20 to 8.

I can survive on Heineken and Blue Moon. I just can't handle Bud and Miller.

There was a change made months, not years ago that reduced wine choices from something like 20 to 8.

:) That's 4 that won't ever assault me again.

All you need to do is cruise on the Escape since they have 24 beers on tap as well as a good selection in bottles, 50 of which are covered under the UBP ;) Edited by SNJCruisers

All you need to do is cruise on the Escape since they have 24 beers on tap as well as a good selection in bottles, 50 of which are covered under the UBP ;)

So true, but it's not "Their" brand. Kinda like the water/soda that "Some" have to have and can't go a week without.

Craft beer and wine connoisseurs are very particular in their tastes!

Glad you can survive on Heineken and Blue Moon. Amazing how many others have tried to copy BM.

Miller/Coors products have enabled me to have a comfortable life. LOL

So we have a "Friends" cruise every January and we have 17 of us going on the Epic this year and we all have the Free beverage package this trip.

Most they guys are into their bucket of beers..Are they able to get Bud light if they choose?

This will be the first time Hubby and I have the drink package! We usually don't purchase it because he does not really drink...I usually just bring two bottles of wine on board and then have a few drinks per day. I do like a Blue Moon!

I am excited to have it this time and not have to worry about it. We love a bloody mary in the morning and frozen cocktails in the afternoon. I do hope I can get nice glass of wine with dinner. I am a white wine drinker....

I just hope the other guys in the group are happy with the beer selections.

Do you all suggest I still bring my favorite bottles of wine on board with me?

Edited by BABYJOSIE98

So true, but it's not "Their" brand. Kinda like the water/soda that "Some" have to have and can't go a week without.

Craft beer and wine connoisseurs are very particular in their tastes!

Then they should just have a staycation at their house so they can consume as much of their favorite drink as they wish. With 50 different bottles/cans and an extra 24 on tap, most beer drinkers should be satisfied and if those that like their alcohol from grapes do not like the choices on NCL, they can choose more higher end and expensive lines to satisfy their higher end palates.

Then they should just have a staycation at their house so they can consume as much of their favorite drink as they wish. With 50 different bottles/cans and an extra 24 on tap, most beer drinkers should be satisfied and if those that like their alcohol from grapes do not like the choices on NCL, they can choose more higher end and expensive lines to satisfy their higher end palates.

This is so funny! I was just inquiring about beer on the ship and that is exactly what you are referring too..LOL

It does not take much to make our group happy! I know we will be totally fine!!

So we have a "Friends" cruise every January and we have 17 of us going on the Epic this year and we all have the Free beverage package this trip.

Most they guys are into their bucket of beers..Are they able to get Bud light if they choose?

Do you all suggest I still bring my favorite bottles of wine on board with me?

Yes, the guys will be able to get Bud Light, only 1 at a time will be covered under the beer package since buckets are not covered. If there are 4 guys with 4 cards getting 4 beers, then they can get a bucket of ice to keep them cold near the pool. If you decide to bring a bottle of wine with you, you'll be charged a 15.00 corkage fee no matter where you decide to consume it, even in your cabin. This is the ultimate in money grabbing since other cruise lines allow you to bring on a bottle per person to consume in your stateroom for free.

This is so funny! I was just inquiring about beer on the ship and that is exactly what you are referring too..LOL

It does not take much to make our group happy! I know we will be totally fine!!

The 50 + 24 choices are only at the District on the Escape, the choices on your Epic cruise will be very limited, maybe 4 on tap and a dozen or so choices in bottles.

Ok thanks for the info everyone...I will just leave my bottles of wine at home then..Wow that is crap!!

I will just pick a glass of wine from whatever they offer me at dinner. I am sure I will be fine.

I am sure the guys will be fine with the beer selection too and glad they can get a bucket of ice to put them in if they all order together...

I will be on Royal Caribbean in Nov and I can take my wine with me for no fee with them...

I'm in total agreement! I would be willing to bet that the "majority"of cruisers "don't" drink high end beers/liquors/wines at home.