LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

For a guy who says he will never sail on this ship, you certainly have littered the various K-dam posts with your negativity. How can you make judgments on a ship based on pictures? Does a picture of the Grand Canyon compare to standing at the edge and seeing it with your own eyes? Can you experience the power and roar of Niagara Falls without taking the Maid of the Mist and feeling the roaring thunder and water on your face? Can you compare pictures of the statutes of David or the Pieta to standing there and seeing them in person?

I'm with Dave OKC: "Need to experience it before deciding if I like it or not."

After my cruise on this ship in December, I may decide that I don't like it and never sail on it again; or, it may become my favourite. All your negativity is not going to spoil my anticipation of the cruise.

For a guy who says he will never sail on this ship, you certainly have littered the various K-dam posts with your negativity. How can you make judgments on a ship based on pictures? Does a picture of the Grand Canyon compare to standing at the edge and seeing it with your own eyes? Can you experience the power and roar of Niagara Falls without taking the Maid of the Mist and feeling the roaring thunder and water on your face? Can you compare pictures of the statutes of David or the Pieta to standing there and seeing them in person?

I'm with Dave OKC: "Need to experience it before deciding if I like it or not."

After my cruise on this ship in December, I may decide that I don't like it and never sail on it again; or, it may become my favourite. All your negativity is not going to spoil my anticipation of the cruise.

Negative? I see it as I see it. I never said I would sail in the ship.

Good Evening from the beautiful Koningsdam.

Tonight we had dinner in the Sel de Mer.

First I will say the four and five star Mariners do get the 50% off. This I was surprised about, our total came to $61.00 before the discount.

I will say it was good but was not amazing ?......The Sea Bass was not Chilean Sea Bass and while it was prepared slightly better than Tamarind it tasted like a typical white fish. They showed the the fish first then baked in a salt bake counting. Then debone it. It was good but not amazing. The sides were a bit on the strange side.

I am definitely not staving this week but nothing is standing out.

Tomorrow we are in Corfu Greece.

My eyes are so heavy I am calling it a night.

I have tried to post the pictures and it will not go tonight so will do it later.

Thanks so much for all of the great photos and information. We're booked on this beautiful ship in two months and can hardly wait. With your great reports, the anticipation is building even more than usual!

Best regards,

Priscilla

Wants it that way, but a shut in box is not where I want to be!

Don't the lounge windows on other ships just look out into the hallways? :confused:

Regardless, HAL's Neptune Lounge certainly does not appear to be on the same level as other lines' suite lounges. Do they even serve free alcohol in the evenings? :confused:

Negative? I see it as I see it. I never said I would sail in the ship.

I, for one, appreciate your comments. I think it is very useful to hear comments from one who is extremely experienced in all aspects of HAL ships and their history compared to someone whose only experience is as a passenger on those ships.

I agree with Dot73. For those of you who have been following Captain Albert's blog, you know that the crew on the KDam has been together for just a couple of weeks. A couple of the specialty restaurants are brand new, not just to the KDam, but to HAL as well. If you visited a land restaurant on its second or third day, do you think you'd get the level of perfection that you'd get a month or two later?

Like the first or second cruise after a refurb, those booking a premiere voyage have got to expect some rough edges and show some tolerance. I think Lisa is giving a balanced review of the current state of the ship. If you expect more in the way of perfection, consider booking a cruise a month or two later when the kinks should have been ironed out.

As far as the color, artwork, and other décor, so much of that is personal taste. Some people like muted colors, some like crazy ones. You'll never please everyone.

But I don't think that a cruise is made up of just specialty dining, or the color of the fabrics in a stateroom, any more than something like weather or ports.

I'm happy to wait until our KDam cruise in about 6 months and judge for myself. If the kinks are still there, then HAL has a problem!

I, for one, appreciate your comments. I think it is very useful to hear comments from one who is extremely experienced in all aspects of HAL ships and their history compared to someone whose only experience is as a passenger on those ships.

Yes, he is very knowledgeable about ships and their history and I have enjoyed some of his posts. However, he has never been on this ship and bases his negative comments just by looking at pictures. I certainly appreciate Lisa's comments as she is on the ship and experiencing the good and the not-so-good aspects of this ship.

Don't the lounge windows on other ships just look out into the hallways? :confused:

Regardless, HAL's Neptune Lounge certainly does not appear to be on the same level as other lines' suite lounges. Do they even serve free alcohol in the evenings? :confused:

The looking out into the alleyway give an impression of the 'outside'.

As Peaches says... no alcohol. Not a big point. Perhaps it might if the lounge was open until later.

Konichwa from Tokyo, Japan! I've been loving your posts and pics on FB, but this is the first chance I've had to read of your adventures here. Have a great time onboard that new Dam ship!

Smooth Sailing !! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

The looking out into the alleyway give an impression of the 'outside'.

As Peaches says... no alcohol. Not a big point. Perhaps it might if the lounge was open until later.

But sending my DH across the hallway to the Neptune to bring me back a Bloody Mary with my coffee and Danish on my verandah sure would be nice! :D

Fancy that - all our iPhones working in far North Queensland. Enjoying this review of Koningsdam - booked for 10th of July cruise!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Where are you in Qld? I just love it up there; be there again in Port Douglas in September.

But my current problem is what to take for our Christening Cruise coming up. We are going via Hong Kong and only have 20kg limit as we are flying Cathay. We have two weeks touring in Puglia before the cruise and DH has insisted on a small car because of the narrowness of the streets.

It is very helpful getting reports of the dress standard as he really doesn't want to carry stuff all that way if not needed. But I wonder if the gala ball they are mentioning will be more dressy.

Does anyone know the likely inside temperature on the ship?

You can ask for a shower stool on any ship in any room at any time. So now you get both [emoji2]

In the SA they did provide a stole for me to use -- but it did not fit in the shower stall -- it is meant for the bath tub which I can no longer get into.

Thankfully most of the PS cabins do have a small seat in the round shower.

Thank you so much for taking your time on this voyage to post your comments & wonderful photos!! Just off the NA two weeks ago and we are eager to sail on the Koningsdam - hopefully December of 2017! Can't wait till the calendar of dates& itineraries are out. While we will not be in a Suite ( unfortunately) I look forward to hearing about the different balcony sizes in the V categories. Not sure if they will be the same or similar to the NA.

Like you we love the Thermal Suite & were excited to hear about the changes on Koningsdam. While the price is $100 more for the week ( couple) it sounds worth it.

Enjoy every minute of your week onboard!!

Have to chuckle about Neptune.

I vividly recall on MAASDAM" standing in the Neptune and hearing people walking by saying they didn't need the Neptune. Yes they did. Anything beat the slog to the Front Office.

I think the point some are missing here is Vegas' socks aren't being knocked off. And if you think this ship will be sailing at a deep discount, you are wrong.

Yes, there is a breaking in period. But the food quality should be top drawer. And the physical limitations of lounges and decks can't be changed.

Makes you wonder, how many designers actually have sailed?

Ironically, we found the Prinsendam Neptune Lounge the most unappealing of them all so far.

This one looks good enough for what it best offers for us - some easy snacks close by. Not to tarry, we rarely if ever use the concierge nor do we see other Neptune passengers use it all that much on its own.

We do like to quickly and easily get small bites to eat and carry back to the cabin without traveling up or down the ship. A spot for quick breakfast seems to be its most popular time from our own experience.

Hi Lisa,

As they say, "No point in being Neptune Lounge if there is no one there to watch."

Have you met a passenger who goes by the name of "Captain Martini"? He has been running a blog and has done some nice photos. He is making his first ever HAL cruise.

Best continued sailing!

Stephen

Hello, Stephen! I agree...the Neptune Lounge looks dismal. Not "welcoming" at all. I sometimes wonder who decorates these ships. The carpeting always boggles my mind. Enjoying Lisa's photos and blog though. And Captain Martini's as well.

BTW...so enjoyed your talk at our M & G on the Veendam to Bermuda last May. Thanks again.

Can't wait to see your Koningsdam pictures. Sailing the ship in July for 2 weeks with my wife and kids.

Funny how you mentioned being a HAL fan but having 'cheated' with a few NCL cruises, I assume in The Haven. We're the exact opposite. Never sailed HAL but have done many cruises including In NCL's Haven.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Enjoying the photos.

We're doing the same. NCL suite cruisers decided to give another ship/line a try.