Viking Cities of Light 8/16

OhioDogLover

We are on a Viking Cities of Light cruise, Paris to Prague, this summer. It is our second river cruise and first on Viking. Does anyone have any tips for this cruise?

Our previous cruise was down the Danube on Peter Deilmann and it was terrific. We have air through Viking which was a nightmare to arrange, but (crossing my fingers) looks to be set now.

We have added a couple of days to the front of the trip in Paris and are planning what we want to see, etc.. With the museum pass, and the metro, that looks like something we can set up with a minimum of fuss.

Any tips on this trip would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ohiodoglover

Thre has been a thread about the Cities of Lights itinerary, I believe. It can be found via the search option. Perhaps you might like to read the roll call of last year for ideas.

A few questions have been discussed here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270339&highlight=cities+of+light

notamermaid

We are doing the Avalon version of this a couple weeks before you, in reverse. We are staying in Prague a week before and then doing about 5 extra days in Paris at the end.

In Prague I have a arranged for a few tours including Taste of Prague food tour and Johnny's Prague Photo tour. In Paris I got tickets for the Bustronome Dinner tour and pre-paid for our tour of the catacombs and a few other things. Thought about the museum pass but my husband isn't much on the museum scene so it wouldn't have been a good buy for us. I also have arranged for a special birthday dinner in the Eiffel Tower for DH.

I have found one thread on this Viking itinerary: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2216821

The Moselle is a lovely meandering river with - apart from Trier - mostly smaller towns to explore. Koblenz has just over 100.000 inhabitants but does not really feel big either. The cable car ride over to Ehrenbreitstein has become very popular. The view is great and the Koblenz station for the cable ride is quite close to the ship, right on the embankment.

The Moselle is famous for white wine, Rhine mostly white wine (the section where you travel along) but does have a few local reds, the Main also has wines but you get more into "beer country" the closer you get to Bavaria. Almost all wines are normally lighter than French or Spanish ones.

If you are interested in a specific subject perhaps we might be able to help you with some tips.

Rebel 54, have a great cruise.

OhioDogLover,

have fun preparing your trip and have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Thank you. I'm excited to be returning to Europe.

I have found one thread on this Viking itinerary: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2216821

The Moselle is a lovely meandering river with - apart from Trier - mostly smaller towns to explore. Koblenz has just over 100.000 inhabitants but does not really feel big either. The cable car ride over to Ehrenbreitstein has become very popular. The view is great and the Koblenz station for the cable ride is quite close to the ship, right on the embankment.

The Moselle is famous for white wine, Rhine mostly white wine (the section where you travel along) but does have a few local reds, the Main also has wines but you get more into "beer country" the closer you get to Bavaria. Almost all wines are normally lighter than French or Spanish ones.

If you are interested in a specific subject perhaps we might be able to help you with some tips.

Rebel 54, have a great cruise.

OhioDogLover,

have fun preparing your trip and have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Hello Rebel54,

my pleasure. I should clarify that I meant the cable car ride starts close to the Viking river cruises landing stage on the Rhine. Almost all other cruise ships dock on the Moselle, with a view of Balduinbrücke (an old bridge) and Ehrenbreitstein fortress in the other direction close to "Deutscher Kaiser" one of the oldest surviving buildings of the town from around 1490. Which makes it older than the discory of America by Columbus!

The view from the Moselle across to Ehrenbreitstein has been immortalized by the great British artist William Turner.

notamermaid