Best Mayan site on NCL Western Caribean Cruise

Hi --

In July I'm taking NCL's Western Caribbean route, with stops in Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel. All of them have Mayan ruins as a possible excursion.* Does anyone have a suggestion of which ruins sites are better, or which ones to avoid?

*This is - gasp - my first cruise, so I am going to take the cruise line connected excursions this time, because I know if I go off with another tour I'll spend the whole time obsessing about whether we will get back on time and not enjoy myself.

We've done both Belize and Costa Maya. Both good but different, and both a moderate bus ride away. The Belize is a much more developed and prepared site. The Costa Maya is more rustic. Both were interesting. The Mayans were everywhere in the Central American area. Cozumel is a ferry boat ride across to the mainland. I agree with you in taking an NCL sponsored tour if going far away from the port. The private tours are just fine usually. However, the ship will wait for you on an NCL tour and not on the others if late.

Edited by roger001

I've researched this topic a good bit recently for my upcoming cruise in May and decided to go with visiting Altun Ha. I understand this is one of the smaller Mayan sites but it is still rated very well. Never having been to any ruins I think this will be a nice first. The fact that it is only a half day excursion (4 hours) was a big part of my decision as there are a couple of things I would like to see in Belize City. Since it is only a half day with no risk of missing the boat I decided to go with one of the non NCL tours in hopes of having a smaller tour (not a bus packed with other). If I had picked one of the full day excursions I would have surely gone threw the ship offers for that extra not left behind insurance lol.

With that said the Lamanai ruins via river safari is very tempting. Most every review make it sound like an amazing day well spent in Belize.

As ColinIllinois suggested read threw the local port board, I found them to be very helpful in planning out how best to spend my time.

We've visited Altun Ha in Belize, Chacchoban in Costa Maya and Tulum (Near Cozumel). As someone said, there is at least an hour ride each way and in the case of Tulum a ferry ride also. If you want to climb on the ruins, only Altun Ha offers the opportunity.

I favor Tulum because it is one of the few located near the water. Beautiful place. However the trip each way is about 90 minutes.

We went to Chacchoban as part of an excursion with The Native Choice company. It's combined with a visit to a "local family" and an excellent lunch. The ruins are excellent.

My least favorite was Altun Ha because there were people all over the ruins and it makes photography rather difficult!. The roads there were terrible and it took almost 90 minutes for a thirty mile ride!

Edited by jd1966

We researched this quite a bit on recent cruise...the answer in my opinion is Lamanai without a doubt. It's a very nice bus ride followed by fun ride down the river. Interesting commentary on bus/boat and beautiful country. The ruins are very cool with some limited "restorations" so you can see what they may have looked like when built. Definitely recommend the NCL excursion as it's a full day with the tendering off the boat and such. My mother, myself, and 8yo nephew all had a great day.

I do not recommend Tulum from the reviews I read. It sounds miserable with the ferries and everything.

We have been to all of the NCL excursions to the ruins. They are all really an amazing experience. My recommendation is lamani with the boat one way and the bus the other. The boat ride is as much of an experience as the ruins. They will take you down the river where the old Tarzan movies were filmed. So much wildlife and you will really see Belize. The ruins themselves are impressive.

I think it's a good idea to take a ship excursion. You'll be pretty far afield. And, knowing the ship will be there is worth a bit more $.

If you can afford both the time and expense of doing 2 "major" (read expensive) excursions on your trip I would also highly highly recommend Chaccobben in Costa maya. Here you will have the opportunity to climb the pyramids. This site is much more rustic.

Whichever you choose, take lots of sunscreen. It's a long, hot, amazing day! Have a wonderful time.

We just returned from a cruise this last Monday, and toured 2 ruins, Lamanai (Belize), and Chacchoben (Costa Maya), and have been to Tulum (Cozamel) twice. All three are impressive, Tulum being the largest, and most spread out.

The only temple we were able to climb was at Lamanai....if you visit this ruin, you have a choice of two temples to climb. We picked the larger of the two (it was HOT and HUMID), so be prepared. If it was cooler, we would have climbed both.

Would love to go to Altun Ha, but that is for another cruise.

The three that I mentioned are travel intensive, Lamanai being the longest (7 + hrs), and I would do them again in a heartbeat.

My wife and I killed off a litre of water, and should have brought more, so again be prepared.

Hope this helps!

We have been to all of the NCL excursions to the ruins. They are all really an amazing experience. My recommendation is lamani with the boat one way and the bus the other. The boat ride is as much of an experience as the ruins. They will take you down the river where the old Tarzan movies were filmed. So much wildlife and you will really see Belize. The ruins themselves are impressive.

I think it's a good idea to take a ship excursion. You'll be pretty far afield. And, knowing the ship will be there is worth a bit more $.

If you can afford both the time and expense of doing 2 "major" (read expensive) excursions on your trip I would also highly highly recommend Chaccobben in Costa maya. Here you will have the opportunity to climb the pyramids. This site is much more rustic.

Whichever you choose, take lots of sunscreen. It's a long, hot, amazing day! Have a wonderful time.

You can climb the ruins at Lamanai as well...I know because my nephew freaked out and wouldn't come down off the tallest one. [emoji23]

Lamanai was a great excursion. The bus ride to the river dock is long, but I enjoyed the ride. I got to see the real Belize on the bus ride. We received lunch before embarking on the river. The river ride is a fun high speed ride with many veers in the river. The ruins are a walking tour through a very hot and humid jungle. Bring water. I climbed the temple and got a great view of the surrounding countryside. It is a long tour, but one of the favorites of the my many cruise excursions.

Lamanai was a great excursion. The bus ride to the river dock is long, but I enjoyed the ride. I got to see the real Belize on the bus ride. We received lunch before embarking on the river. The river ride is a fun high speed ride with many veers in the river. The ruins are a walking tour through a very hot and humid jungle. Bring water. I climbed the temple and got a great view of the surrounding countryside. It is a long tour, but one of the favorites of the my many cruise excursions.

Thanks for posting!! I can't wait!!

If you do Tulum* from Cozumel, definitely book it via the ship. You really want that assurance that they won't leave without you before the ferry gets back to Cozumel!

*Which IS freaking spectacular!

Seconded - Tulum, being extensive, plus overlooking the sea. is my favorite; also the least humid/hot being on the coast. It is a long haul, so this is one your you want to do ship-sponsored to be sure not to miss sailing.

I loved our Lamanai excursion. The boat ride is wonderful and you really feel like you are in the jungle. And you can climb on some of the ruins -- you don't have to go to the top. Tulum is beautiful but the tours are very controlled and when we were there you could not go up or into the ruins. It seemed like a more commercial tour.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Chaccoben, Tulum, Kohunlich, Dzibanche (spelling?) - all were worthwhile and enjoyable. Chaccoben is a good "low impact" 1/2 day trip and easy to do with private tour company. Kohunlich and Dzibanche are pretty much a full day, as is Tulum.

Friendly warning on Tulum: you'll get beautiful photos because of the turquoise Caribbean sea versus the stone cliffs and ruins, BUT... You must take a (potentially very) bumpy 45-minute ferry ride each way before catching a bus. My wife was pretty green after the ferry ride and it definitely made her day quite a bit less enjoyable.

I'll be trying Lamani in a little over a month.