HAL response to price drop

cabinluvn

When was the last time you purchased an airline ticket and found a lower price later? Often I suspect. Did you expect the airline to refund the difference? Did you expect an upgrade to 1st Class? Free drinks? I never have. I was either happy with the price I paid at the time, or figured I made a big mistake and learned from it.

My only experience is with Holland America so other cruise lines may differer. My HAL cruise consultants selling points for booking early on HAL and getting the cabin I want is they will match price drops up until final payment. Then I might be able to get OBC if it drops after final payment. On one cruise I saved over $900 on a 20 day cruise and on my upcoming 39 day cruise we saved $4,200 by calling twice and getting the lower price. Both of these savings were before final payment. That's a lot of savings!

And YES, I do expect a lower price or upgrade if that's what I've been guaranteed!

To the original poster, I'd call and see if I could get the OBC. It never hurts to ask!

Oh..and by the way, on my upcoming flight on New Zealand Air the airline allow you to bid for an upgrade on a seat before your flight. Sounds interesting...and yes, I will be looking into that too!

It really pays to ask and investigate!!!!

Utahtea

We booked a cruise for 2016 spring break during 2015 spring break cruise and cancelled before final payment ...45 days before sailing date we booked same cruise for a lot less than originally... A few days later price dropped again, my husband contacted our cruise planner with Holland and he offered half the difference as OBC or we could pay small fee to upgrade... We went for the upgrade...never hurts to ask!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm a novice cruiser, only having booked my 2nd trip for next month. I was not aware that after final payment no credits are given for price reductions. I appreciate the information on this post because I was actively looking for price reductions at least once a day would have certainly called for a credit or refund.

I travel via air extensively and I do get price reduction credits on my airfare on a regular basis and the airlines are always happy to do so (book directly with the airline, not 3rd party). Had no idea that cruises were different when it comes to that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Theresa

What airline do you usually fly? Unless it's Southwest - the legacy airlines will usually credit only what's left after applying the ~$200/ticket change fee. It takes more than a $200 price drop to get any credit on American Airlines - my usual air carrier.

The prices on my Feb. Princess South America cruise dropped a lot after the final payment date. Unfortunately, I couldn't pay for an upgrade, as the fares were only for new bookings.

What airline do you usually fly? Unless it's Southwest - the legacy airlines will usually credit only what's left after applying the ~$200/ticket change fee. It takes more than a $200 price drop to get any credit on American Airlines - my usual air carrier.

I primarily fly Alaska Airlines out of Seattle. They don't charge a change fee with a price reduction as long as you are pricing the exact same flights/times you already have booked. If the flights I have chosen have lowered in price I can call or use their website to receive a credit. Asking to get changed to a different flight would be something they would slap a fee on.

I primarily fly Alaska Airlines out of Seattle. They don't charge a change fee with a price reduction as long as you are pricing the exact same flights/times you already have booked. If the flights I have chosen have lowered in price I can call or use their website to receive a credit. Asking to get changed to a different flight would be something they would slap a fee on.

Wow - I wish American Airlines operated like that!

It is the reason why we generally only buy inside the final payment window and only if prices have been reduced.

If the price is subsequently reduced after our purchase we accept this as part of the business model. We do not expect consideration from the cruise line.

I certainly don't get a discount on that winter coat that I bought in November when it comes on sale in March.

This is why we rarely book a cruise on HAL months or years in advance anymore.

We are generally happy with whatever cabin is assigned to us and the deals we have been receiving for booking less than 30 days out from sailing are incredible!

Yes, if you can drop everything at a moments notice and don't mind what cabin you get, wait until the last minute to book. The prices are always lower, but what you want may be sold out. We do this on cruises from San Diego as it is just by our home to Mexico. A quick trip is sometimes for less than $100.00 per day including taxes.

That is great if you live near a port. Living in the Midwest hampers last minute cruise booking as last minute airline fares are rarely a good deal. Wish I lived closer to a port

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just booked my Holland America cruise. Today they sent me an email offering onboard credit, drink package, no tipping and referral credits for the cruise I literally just booked! I sat with my friends while we all booked together. We are 3 time Holland America cruisers and they are first-time, on our recommendation. The rep never told us there was an incentive for bringing our friends into the fold. So, like Cabinluvn, I do think that if you purchase something and it goes on sale, you have got to try and benefit from it. In our case, we have only paid the deposit. I'll be calling today to request the perks they emailed to me.

Edited by seatheworld!

I just booked my Holland America cruise. Today they sent me an email offering onboard credit, drink package, no tipping and referral credits for the cruise I literally just booked! I sat with my friends while we all booked together. We are 3 time Holland America cruisers and they are first-time, on our recommendation. The rep never told us there was an incentive for bringing our friends into the fold. So, like Cabinluvn, I do think that if you purchase something and it goes on sale, you have got to try and benefit from it. In our case, we have only paid the deposit. I'll be calling today to request the perks they emailed to me.

Since you're pre-final payment, it's a no-brainer, you could always cancel and re-book.