HAL response to price drop

cabinluvn

I noticed last night that the price of our Alaska 5/7 cruise(two obstructed view cabins, category G)was lowered by $229/pp. I called our TA and she checked with HAL. The only thing they would do forums was an "8 category upgrade" to a category C and the cabin would be right under the nightclub. That was it...take it or leave it. We left it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I noticed last night that the price of our Alaska 5/7 cruise(two obstructed view cabins, category G)was lowered by $229/pp. I called our TA and she checked with HAL. The only thing they would do forums was an "8 category upgrade" to a category C and the cabin would be right under the nightclub. That was it...take it or leave it. We left it

Is this after final payment?

If so, what did you expect? Were you happy with the price you paid before HAL lowered prices to move unsold cabins?

When was the last time you purchased an airline ticket and found a lower price later? Often I suspect. Did you expect the airline to refund the difference? Did you expect an upgrade to 1st Class? Free drinks? I never have. I was either happy with the price I paid at the time, or figured I made a big mistake and learned from it.

Is this after final payment?

If so, what did you expect? Were you happy with the price you paid before HAL lowered prices to move unsold cabins?

This is why we rarely book a cruise on HAL months or years in advance anymore.

We are generally happy with whatever cabin is assigned to us and the deals we have been receiving for booking less than 30 days out from sailing are incredible!

I book my cruises about a year out. During the course of that year I along with my TA monitor HA pricing up until final payment is made. Hal has always given me their lowest pricing throughout that period. All you have to do (or your TA) is call. Some on this board may disagree with monitoring price once booked. That is the chance you take by booking early. I book the cabin I want and I can live with that if I ask and receive nothing. I don't expect anything but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Your cruise is May 7th, so way past final payment. At this point in time, I 'm sure you're aware that the cruise lines (not just HAL) have no responsibility to do anything for you. The fact that they gave you an upgrade is more than could be expected. I'm not sure what you expected from them. A refund for the difference? That will never happen.

Be thankful for your free upgrade and enjoy your cruise.

Were you able to request a "lesser" upgrade, so perhaps a D or E that might be in a location you like? At least it would not be an obstructed view, which is nice in AK.

I know dealing with this through a TA is a bit cumbersome, but give it another try and be sure you tell the TA what you would consider. I have found HAL to be very easy to work with in these situations, especially if it does not involve them giving you money back. Also, did you ask about getting some on board credits instead?

Edited by DaveOKC

Until Final Payment, I usually have had no issues in receiving a lower fare if the fare does drop. If the "new price" is for "new bookings only", then no, I would not expect that price break.

After Final Payment, what you have paid is what it is. Certainly does not do any harm to have one's travel professional to call HAL and see what, if anything, might be done.

If you are able to watch how the cruise is filling, maybe a contact 2 weeks before sailing might be fruitful if there is space availiable in receiving some kind of upsell/upgrade/OBC that might not be available currently.

this is why we rarely book a cruise on hal months or years in advance anymore.

We are generally happy with whatever cabin is assigned to us and the deals we have been receiving for booking less than 30 days out from sailing are incredible!

If you look at it this way, I agree. We do, too.

OP: Sorry you did not understand how HAL works the pricing.

I would be happy with a C from a G.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I really didn't know what to expect. I have read on this blog that some people got OBC offers because of the price drop. I am aware that it was after final payment and they had no obligation to do anything for me. We are frequent cruisers and have two cruises booked after this Alaska cruise. I guess I thought they would make a good will offer...which they did. The HAL rep was on the phone as my TA explained the offer. Apparently those were the only two cabins in that category that were left. It isn't that I am not appreciative of the the offer. I thought I would share information, but I forgot that there are people here who jump on posts and make people feel stupid for what they did

Our last cruise we booked three days before the cruise. Found airfare at a great price and the cruise price could not be beat! We did feel really sorry for a number of people who booked very early (because it was a holiday cruise) and paid a premium for their cabins!

With HAL now days last minute seems to be the way to go!

I really didn't know what to expect. I have read on this blog that some people got OBC offers because of the price drop. I am aware that it was after final payment and they had no obligation to do anything for me. We are frequent cruisers and have two cruises booked after this Alaska cruise. I guess I thought they would make a good will offer...which they did. The HAL rep was on the phone as my TA explained the offer. Apparently those were the only two cabins in that category that were left. It isn't that I am not appreciative of the the offer. I thought I would share information, but I forgot that there are people here who jump on posts and make people feel stupid for what they did

Please don't feel stupid. I am sure more people appreciated the information than did not.

I really didn't know what to expect... but I forgot that there are people here who jump on posts and make people feel stupid for what they did

It probably has more to do with your tone than what you actually meant ("all they would offer", "take it or leave it", etc.).

Good grief...MY TONE? Didn't know you could hear me. If you want to read in a "tone" based on one or two words, be my guest. All you really do is prevent people who have information that could be of value from posting on here for fear being misrepresented or criticized. I know I will think three or four times before I share information again

I have also seen that some posters get OBC or upgrades after final payment. On all our cruises, if we have seen price drops, we have gotten nothing. Just a "so sorry, we can't do anything for you". But we still book cruises and are happy with the prices we pay.

cabinluvn,That is a problem with written correspondence, letters or e-mail. From personal experience I know that unfortunately, one or two words CAN convey a tone to the correspondence that is different than intended.

Learning the hard way, I now try to read and reread my messages to check on the words and tone I am conveying, does it match what I mean? Sometimes I still mess-up.

I have also seen that some posters get OBC or upgrades after final payment. On all our cruises, if we have seen price drops, we have gotten nothing. Just a "so sorry, we can't do anything for you". But we still book cruises and are happy with the prices we pay.

I agree with this. My take on it from years of experience is that if HAL has made a lot on your original booking (suite, balcony or a high in-outside), you have a much better chance of getting the OBC on a price drop after final payment.

If you have booked a reduced price after final payment, you don't fare as well.

We have been able to get a decent upgrade every time this happened but once. That was explained as the ship being full enough that there wasn't anything "appropriate" to upgrade us to.

If you are willing to pay a bit more, you can sometimes upgrade to a higher category. They are always happy to take your money and sometimes you will get an amazing cabin. Ask your travel agent to find out if there are any paid upgrades. Often I have only to pay a few dollars to go to a balcony or better outside cabin.

I'm a novice cruiser, only having booked my 2nd trip for next month. I was not aware that after final payment no credits are given for price reductions. I appreciate the information on this post because I was actively looking for price reductions at least once a day would have certainly called for a credit or refund.

I travel via air extensively and I do get price reduction credits on my airfare on a regular basis and the airlines are always happy to do so (book directly with the airline, not 3rd party). Had no idea that cruises were different when it comes to that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Theresa