Itinery Arrival and Departure times

The Med

We are on a Fiords trip in May and although we know (obviously) whare we are going each day, we have yet to recieve the times of when we arrive and depart each port.

We have cruised before but this is the first time with P and O and the first time that we dont know what time we are arriving in port.

We want to plan trips but we also want time to wander around the local area.

For example, we don't want to book a 4 hour trip if we are only in that port for 6 hours. Happy to book the trip if we are there for 8 hours.

Other cruise companies tell you what time you are arriving/leaving.

Is it normal for P and O not to tell you or is it just certain cruises?

And when do you know exactly the times?

Edited by The Med

Sorry but I dont understand your reply.

I dont need to know when other ships get in, I only need to know when MY ship gets in.

As I said, other cruises we are doing issue the times before booking the cruise

it is there in the brochure for all to see...I dont understand why P and O are keeping it a secret?

I dont need to know when other ships get in, I only need to know when MY ship gets in.

it is there in the brochure for all to see...I dont understand why P and O are keeping it a secret?

search for port authority websites eg Flaam Port they will have a list of ships and their arrival and departure times, I doubt if P&O will tell you exact times

P&O rarely show exact times and therefore neither do the cruise timetable websites, although sometimes you can obtain the times from port authority sites.

Best of luck obtaining a sensible, and accurate, time from P&O.

The times are usually on the final details for the trip but having done the fjords a couple of times I can say that you are usually docked by about 8 and all aboard by 4:30/5. Fairly standard timings really. I think it's vague until nearer the time to allow for port movements etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P and O don't give arrival/departure times. you are just given arrive early morning, leave late afternoon sort of thing.

As others have posted

either

Contact p and O for times

or

Go on the websites for the various ports, most of them have a calendar on to say who is expected and what time.

However I do notice you are on a fjords cruise.

Some of the calls are at tiny little villages at the end of a fjord (Olden) they may be just your ship there, so no port website to look at.

What places are you stopping at?

As an example lets take Olden...you can go on private or ships tours to the glacier , however there is not a lot else to do there besides look at the amazing views, so a private tour would still get you back in time, as private or ship tour would each take the same amount of time.

Please list you ports of call

The times are usually on the final details for the trip but having done the fjords a couple of times I can say that you are usually docked by about 8 and all aboard by 4:30/5. Fairly standard timings really. I think it's vague until nearer the time to allow for port movements etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/P&O_Cruises/Aurora

go to cruiseTT.com click ships select PO and choose your ship then click on May 17 you should get accurate PLANNED times

Thank you so much for the replies everyone.:)

It is helpful to know that the times are usually arrive about 8.00am and back on board for about 4.00pm.

The English lady...you asked where we were going.

Apart from the 2 sea days we are

Stavanger, Olden, Andelses, Bergen.

I need to do a bit more research but the plan so far is this...

Stavanger, we may just wander round the town, the harbour, the cathedral, Valberg tower etc. I wouldn't mind taking a trip up to Pulpit rock but the OH can't bear heights so I think he would have a fit if I took him up there. Don't fancy the cruise to see it from below.

Olden. We want to go and see the glacier. OH fancies the troll car. I need to see if any other tours do this. Also want to wander round the town.

Andelses, we are booked on a tour that goes on the train and back on a coach.

Bergen. On the fenuncular to Mount Floyan. Havent booked, thought we might just get off the ship early and leg it down there. Is this advisable or should we book? Then a wander round the town.

I really appreciate all the help and advice ...this forum is wonderful. :)

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/P&O_Cruises/Aurora

go to cruiseTT.com click ships select PO and choose your ship then click on May 17 you should get accurate PLANNED times

That was very helpful, thank you. I didnt know such a site existed.

It is still showing Flaam for June 22nd and yet it was changed a while ago to Andelses.:confused:

Thank you so much for the replies everyone.:)

It is helpful to know that the times are usually arrive about 8.00am and back on board for about 4.00pm.

The English lady...you asked where we were going.

Apart from the 2 sea days we are

Stavanger, Olden, Andelses, Bergen.

I need to do a bit more research but the plan so far is this...

Stavanger, we may just wander round the town, the harbour, the cathedral, Valberg tower etc. I wouldn't mind taking a trip up to Pulpit rock but the OH can't bear heights so I think he would have a fit if I took him up there. Don't fancy the cruise to see it from below.

you can easily wander around the town but Pulpit Rock tour is by boat, you see the rock from the fiord

Olden. We want to go and see the glacier. OH fancies the troll car. I need to see if any other tours do this. Also want to wander round the town.

Olden is a small village 15-20 minutes walk from terminal

Andelses, we are booked on a tour that goes on the train and back on a coach.

Bergen. On the fenuncular to Mount Floyan. Havent booked, thought we might just get off the ship early and leg it down there. Is this advisable or should we book? Then a wander round the town.

it is easily walkable from the new cruise terminal, not really worth doing ship tour especially if the weather is bad cc

what ship are you on?

I really appreciate all the help and advice ...this forum is wonderful. :)

cccc

Edited by sogne

Thank you for the reply Sogne.

We are on Brittania leaving Southampton on 18th June.

I said in my first post that we were going in May but I am getting my vacations mixed up....hope we remember on the actual day where we are going!

Pulpit Rock can be reached by land to get to the top of it...there are some very scary photos online for those that don't like heights. However P and O don't do a trip there (apart from viewing it from below) so perhaps it isn't a trip that can be done easily in a day.

I am going to spend some time looking on the destinations pages to get more info on things to see and do in the various ports.

When we did Olden last year we did the glacier by troll car..as I have slight mobility issues..still had a fair way to walk though.

What hit me was how little the glacier was. Just peeks over the top of the mountain (tons behind it ofcourse, this was the bit you can see). I am sure before global warming etc it probably came down the mountain to the valley, and some of the valley. Not now though.

Bergen we made sure we were early of the ship, hightailed it to the funichular, and I think we were one of the first groups up there..view is unbelievable. When we came down, there were already quite long qs forming.

Enjoy it..its the one place we keep on going back to.

When we did Olden last year we did the glacier by troll car..as I have slight mobility issues..still had a fair way to walk though.

What hit me was how little the glacier was.

That's interesting.

Did you think then, in your opinion that it wasn't worth it?

We are beginning to think that £148 for both of us and then fours hours out of the day may not be worth it if it isn't all that impressive when you get there.

That's interesting.

Did you think then, in your opinion that it wasn't worth it?

We are beginning to think that £148 for both of us and then fours hours out of the day may not be worth it if it isn't all that impressive when you get there.

Uh difficult to say really. The trip on the troll car has lovely scenery (you can walk that part) the part from the car park to the glacier is lovely scenery, the glacier is just not that amazing now.

Thing is that is what "sells" this area,over and above the stunning scenery.

First visit we just caught the trolley train up the valley, and walked back..that was lovely (we had lovely weather)

This was our 2nd stop there, and as I had walking issues we booked the troll car to the glacier trip.

Not a lot else to do there really, as its a village at the end of a fjord...I cant remember what other excursions there are....

What is the trolley train? Is it like a tram?

Where do you get it from please?

That sounds like something we would like to do.

Another question please re Bergen.....

how far is it from the port to the fenunicular?

I remember reading somewhere, (but I can't remember where) that there is more than one port and the bigger ships dock further out...a 20 min walk away.

Thanks for all the help by the way, I really appreciate it.

Hi The Med

We are visiting Olden this year and plan to get the public bus up to the Glacier. See : http://www.nordfjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=388645

You have to click the link at the bottom of the page for other dates ie before 1st June . There is one about 10 am and takes about 45 mins and departs for return to Olden at 13 30.

We have also been looking at the Glacier Express minibus up there instead, which costs about £30 - half the price of the ship's tours.

We have been to Olden before and also took the little road train around and walked back, like The English Lady. It was very pleasant.

Edited by Scriv

Hi The Med

We are visiting Olden this year and plan to get the public bus up to the Glacier. See : http://www.nordfjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=388645

You have to click the link at the bottom of the page for other dates ie before 1st June . There is one about 10 am and takes about 45 mins and departs for return to Olden at 13 30.

We have also been looking at the Glacier Express minibus up there instead, which costs about £30 - half the price of the ship's tours.

We have been to Olden before and also took the little road train around and walked back, like The English Lady. It was very pleasant.

I have just been doing some research on the very same thing!

The public bus is about £10 for 2 of us and then we can get the troll car from the mountain lodge.

It worries me that there is only one bus a day so we also looked at the Glacier Express at £30 as you say, much much cheaper than the ship tour.

I am just trying to find out where the bus stop is now.

According to the Bergen Port site, Britannia is due to dock at Jekteviks terminalen 2 at 08.00am and depart at 15.00pm for Southampton!

It's the further docking area, last time we went on Celebrity we docked there and there was a shuttle transfer. If you are going on the funicular go early, its gets very busy later. We had a lovely sunny day there, but it is often very cloudy. Its quite an early departure, so make sure you are back in time!

When we went on Arcadia, we docked at the closest berth. We bought freshly caught shrimps on the quayside, and took them back to the ship. Had a picnic on the balcony with rolls from the self service, and a bottle of wine, bliss!

According to the Bergen Port site, Britannia is due to dock at Jekteviks terminalen 2 at 08.00am and depart at 15.00pm for Southampton!

It's the further docking area, last time we went on Celebrity we docked there and there was a shuttle transfer. If you are going on the funicular go early, its gets very busy later. Its quite an early departure, so make sure you are back in time!

Yes I had looked at the link and seen the times and 3.00pm is quite early.

It appears that the fenunicular goes from quite early in the morning so hopefully we can have an early breakfast and be off the ship quite quickly.

How long does it take to go up, have a look around and then get back down again, bearing in mind that we may have to queue?

We want to spend time in Bergen itself looking round the main street and walk to the park and lake as well as looking round the Bryggen waterfront.

Will we have time to do everything and still be back on board for 2.30pm?