Itinery Arrival and Departure times

The Med

Looking at Cruisett and the individual port websites isl good advice, but you have to remember that these are the times that P&O have booked the berth, not necessarily the times they will arrive and leave. We had a Caribbean cruise once were all the times on Cruisett were 6PM leaving but we left them at either 5PM or 5:30PM.

Yes, much too my regret. It maybe worth forfeiting the deposit and go back to Celebrity and put it down to an act of stupidity.

Well if you approach the cruise with the attitude you have at the moment you will hate it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They do it to make it as hard as possible to book private tours, so you then have to book theirs

Which has to be one of the silliest statements made as to why they do not give times.

If we are going to a port where it would be difficult to do a similar trip privately, we books the ships excursion.

If its not difficult we always manage to book private tours with the usual - meet up 1/2 hour after ship has docked. The person we have booked with will know when the ships is due in , we know we have to be off pronto. No problem.

It once took a ship we were on nearly an hour to dock as the wind was pushing in the opposite direction. We were in the port , but not docked.

What would have happened if they said arrival 8.00am, and we actually docked 9am, off 9.15am, but due to them saying 8am, we had said we would meet private tour at 8.15am.

Why is everyone so caught up with having to know to the minute times?

If the private tour you are using/doing is any good they will know.

Like has already been said P&O are frustrating in not telling port times, another way to work them out is to dummy book their shore excursions on your cruise personaliser, might have to do a few, to work out their earliest one leaving and then the latest one getting back.

Yes, exactly! That's what I do too. Why is everyone knocking P&O over this? Fred and Cunard do exactly the same.

Yes, exactly! That's what I do too. Why is everyone knocking P&O over this? Fred and Cunard do exactly the same.

Heavens knows why people book with pando then complain about this, then that.ooh and no one else does this or that.

It's not rocket science to arrange with a private tour to meet 1/2 hour after ship has docked. Then all parties will know that once it is announced customs cleared to disembark you have 1/2 hour. to meet with your guide. We have always done this with our private tours and never ever had a problem with it.

Why is everyone so caught up with having to know to the minute times?
Because we are used to other lines providing a fully detailed itinerary. Having that makes you able to plan your time ashore as you wish. Please either see my example in post #33 or below. Your example of late arrival due to wind is an exception to the normal arrival process and would be treated as such by all involved. You say that the person you book private tours will know when the ship is due in, how? If you the passenger can't get that from the company you've paid to transport you there, how do they manage it? Do they just hang around from daybreak waiting for a cruise ship to turn up? I doubt it.

Why is everyone knocking P&O over this? Fred and Cunard do exactly the same.
If you consider showing surprise why P&O won't, can't or don't provide a detailed itinerary as knocking the company, then ok perhaps it is. If Fred and Cunard do this also, then if I were to sail with them, I'd have just the same reaction and would 'knock' that company too.

As I mentioned in post #33 If I booked flights and said to my clients your flight leaves in the morning, lands in your destination midday, and your return takes off in the afternoon and lands in the evening, please check with the airline, there'd be uproar. How could they arrange transport to/from the airport with such vague timings? When they request car rental how do they know what time to tell the rental company they wish to pick up and drop off the car? How does the car rental company calculate the cost of hire if it doesn't know for how long the car is required?

All these things need times, not vague statements like 'early morning' or 'late afternoon'. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect these from a major travel company. Sorry, but I don't. And if you think I'm knocking your beloved P&O, then again sorry, but I am. I have already told them I find it unacceptable via email and phone. The contact centre staff can only apologise because they're not told either.

Heavens knows why people book with pando then complain about this, then that.ooh and no one else does this or that.

It's not rocket science to arrange with a private tour to meet 1/2 hour after ship has docked. Then all parties will know that once it is announced customs cleared to disembark you have 1/2 hour. to meet with your guide. We have always done this with our private tours and never ever had a problem with it.

But do you not understand that this is why you see comments such as 'we won't book with P&O again'? There are so many things that P&O do badly in some people's eyes compared to other lines that it will sway their decision to book with P&O again. It means that P&O is probably not the cruise line for them, for you yes, them no. That's why there are several cruise lines out there, they all have different offerings that suit some and not others.

Everyone has the right to point out where they think P&O does not provide as good a service as other lines. You just don't like people commenting negatively against your beloved P&O.

From your comments you obviously think P&O can do no wrong and all other lines are wrong. You are prepared to work with the vagueness of P&O, good for you, others like me are not. In my view, heaven knows why you put up with P&O, but you like the offering, others don't. Believe me, I make comments on other lines processes and procedures too, especially where I believe they could improve things for their guests, who, when it comes down to it, are the people who make their company successful or not.

Edited by peteukmcr

Yes but if they said arrival was at 8 am and you got in a 9 am, you're the type that would probably sue! Maybe that's why?
If you are referring to me (not sure as you didn't quote my post) then I can assure you I wouldn't sue as all contracts with a cruise company will no doubt have somewhere that it is within their right to alter, amend or change the arrival/departure times due to situations that arise, so there'd be no point starting a legal case. Just the same as they have the right to change ports of call, or not call at them at all if they so wish. Your cruise contract in most cases only agrees to transport you from your original departure point to the destination, all the bits in the middle they have the right to change, update, or amend as situations dictate.

So that's not a reason for P&O (or Fred Olsen or Cunard) not to publish port times, it's just not customer friendly IMHO. We'll never agree so you post your opinion, I'll post mine. :D

But do you not understand that this is why you see comments such as 'we won't book with P&O again'? There are so many things that P&O do badly in some people's eyes compared to other lines that it will sway their decision to book with P&O again. It means that P&O is probably not the cruise line for them, for you yes, them no. That's why there are several cruise lines out there, they all have different offerings that suit some and not others.

Everyone has the right to point out where they think P&O does not provide as good a service as other lines. You just don't like people commenting negatively against your beloved P&O.

From your comments you obviously think P&O can do no wrong and all other lines are wrong. You are prepared to work with the vagueness of P&O, good for you, others like me are not. In my view, heaven knows why you put up with P&O, but you like the offering, others don't. Believe me, I make comments on other lines processes and procedures too, especially where I believe they could improve things for their guests, who, when it comes down to it, are the people who make their company successful or not.

This of course is only relevant if people arrange there own private tours. In my experience this does not happen to any great extent. Even when the company did give our exact times.

Personally I do not care at all as we only do maybe one trip a cruise and find it is much easier to do the ships trip. Usually we get off and wander. Usually a good couple of hours after we dock. On P&O roll calls on this site there is little talk of arranging trips. In the 20 or so roll calls I have been on it has only happened twice and one of those is on our next cruise to Iceland.

It is certainly no way as important as on some of the roll calls for the American cruise lines.

Because we are used to other lines providing a fully detailed itinerary. Having that makes you able to plan your time ashore as you wish. Please either see my example in post #33 or below. Your example of late arrival due to wind is an exception to the normal arrival process and would be treated as such by all involved. You say that the person you book private tours will know when the ship is due in, how? If you the passenger can't get that from the company you've paid to transport you there, how do they manage it? Do they just hang around from daybreak waiting for a cruise ship to turn up? I doubt it.

If you consider showing surprise why P&O won't, can't or don't provide a detailed itinerary as knocking the company, then ok perhaps it is. If Fred and Cunard do this also, then if I were to sail with them, I'd have just the same reaction and would 'knock' that company too.

As I mentioned in post #33 If I booked flights and said to my clients your flight leaves in the morning, lands in your destination midday, and your return takes off in the afternoon and lands in the evening, please check with the airline, there'd be uproar. How could they arrange transport to/from the airport with such vague timings? When they request car rental how do they know what time to tell the rental company they wish to pick up and drop off the car? How does the car rental company calculate the cost of hire if it doesn't know for how long the car is required?

All these things need times, not vague statements like 'early morning' or 'late afternoon'. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect these from a major travel company. Sorry, but I don't. And if you think I'm knocking your beloved P&O, then again sorry, but I am. I have already told them I find it unacceptable via email and phone. The contact centre staff can only apologise because they're not told either.

Peter I can assure you they are not my beloved P and O. I think what they offer during the day is dire. Never go to the shows either, so cannot comment on them.

However I do not let them not telling me the precise time they are going to arrive/leave to upset me.

I do look at other lines ,but for various reasons, what they offer does not appeal to me (and reading the boards for the other lines they all seem to be moaning about cost cutting)

Tour operators in other countries do not sit around waiting for ships to arrive. Rest assured it will be their job to know when/what ships are due in. They want to be first in to q to sell you their tour.

I will assume most of the tours you have arranged for customers are land based, with flights that run like buses, so you would have a fairly good idea that if you put down flight leaving at 10am, it would do...

Cruising is soo weather dependent the best laid plans.

As an example, one holiday we did was with this company

http://lordoftheglens.co.uk/

One thing we learnt on this cruise was you do not have to go too far away from the mainland for things to go pear shaped.

They only have room to carry supplies for 3 days. we were supposed to visit one of the islands. A storm was approaching. If we made it to the island, they guessed we would get stuck there for a couple of days. Could not get supplies on the island-there you do not do a monthly shop, you do a before the winter shop-so that part was cancelled and we had to return to the home port. Were we disappointed yes, but we understood the reasons.

we are looking at this company for a future cruise

http://www.themajesticline.co.uk/

If we do it I am not expecting theirs to go to plan either.

Maybe its because I cruise for where they go not so much the ships themselves.

This of course is only relevant if people arrange there own private tours. In my experience this does not happen to any great extent. Even when the company did give our exact times.

Personally I do not care at all as we only do maybe one trip a cruise and find it is much easier to do the ships trip. Usually we get off and wander. Usually a good couple of hours after we dock. On P&O roll calls on this site there is little talk of arranging trips. In the 20 or so roll calls I have been on it has only happened twice and one of those is on our next cruise to Iceland.

It is certainly no way as important as on some of the roll calls for the American cruise lines.

How do you know this is only relevant to people who arrange private tours, have you canvassed everyone onboard? You say you don't care, but just because you don't care, doesn't make it right to be so vague, others obviously do care.

You are another P&O flag waver who is happy with the product and how this cruise line treats its customers, as I can see according to your long list of previous sailings you don't appear to have sailed with any other line so haven't had the opportunity to experience anything different. Fair enough, but others who have a wider experience of cruise lines are just pointing out the differences.

Edited by peteukmcr

I have only done about 3 private tours in 10 years, so quite happy to decide what we are going to do before we go. We get off when we are ready and do our own thing. I do however, visit port websites to see what time the ship is due in and out. It's fairly easy. And P&O doesn't have my particular loyalty. I have sailed a few times with Fred, and three times on very small ships with different companies. Loyalty doesn't come into it.

How do you know this is only relevant to people who arrange private tours, have you canvassed everyone onboard? You say you don't care, but just because you don't care, doesn't make it right to be so vague, others obviously do care.

You are another P&O flag waver who is happy with the product and how this cruise line treats its customers, as I can see according to your long list of previous sailings you don't appear to have sailed with any other line so haven't had the opportunity to experience anything different. Fair enough, but others who have a wider experience of cruise lines are just pointing out the differences.

And why exactly are you having a go at me. I only pointed out why so many P&O cruisers would not be concerned. I look at roll calls and observe people going on tours. I am pointing out how few people it concerns. But you clearly know better. Or is it just that you like to stir as you have for a while.

If you do not like P&O then don't cruise with them. Simple.

Peter I can assure you they are not my beloved P and O. I think what they offer during the day is dire. Never go to the shows either, so cannot comment on them. So why give them your business?

I will assume most of the tours you have arranged for customers are land based, with flights that run like buses, so you would have a fairly good idea that if you put down flight leaving at 10am, it would do...

"It would do to put down a flight leaving at 10am, it would do". Certainly not, you can't just turn up for a flight and decide not to take the one leaving at 10 and get the one leaving at 10:30. Your ticket is for a specific flight. You can change to another flight (if the fare conditions allow you to change your flight) but you must then pay any change fee, any increase in fare and taxes (if on the same airline). So put down a flight leaving at 10 would most certainly not do.

Also not all the itineraries I put together are land based. Example recently I had to get 10 delegates from various points around the globe (UK, USA, several departure points in Europe) to a small island off the coast of Queensland in Australia for a 3 day conference. That meant it was imperative that I coordinated the days of departure for all travellers to ensure they arrived in Hamilton Island on a specific day and bŷ a specific time as the one and only ferry to the island resort left at a specific time. Change of aircraft and airlines was necessary in some cases so I couldn't just say you'll leave in the morning, arrive early afternoon and a bit later you'll catch your next flight and arrive sometime the next day in Hamilton Island.

The same was true on some of their return trips and some had to connect via Sydney or Melbourne and there is only a couple of flights a day from Hamilton Island.

Perhaps because my job means I have to deal with exact timings every single minute of my working day, I expect it from all other travel providers, be that airlines, car rental companies, ferry operators, hotels, tour operators or cruise lines.:D

One of the things I have enjoyed about Celebrity is arranging private tours with others on the roll calls.

None of the P&O cruises I have taken have had active roll calls on this website

One of the joys of cruising to me is exploring new destinations. Some days I am happy just to meander in the port, but other days (most days)I want to explore the local area. It seems to me that most ships tours are overpriced and to be avoided if possible - partly because of the rip off factor and also because I don't really want to be on a coach with 50 other people. Smaller bespoke tours with 6-12 people are cheaper and much more flexible. I would also rather put more of my holiday spending in the economy of the place I am visiting rather than in P&O's coffers.

While P& O - and others - don't publish times it is true that most local operators know when the ship is in, so there is rarely a problem. But it is a bit strange that approximate shore times are not freely published.

I agree, roll calls for P&O are very sparse. RCI/Celebrity are much more active. I'm very surprised about the lack of timings, why all the secrecy? I can see all the theories as to why, which are probably right. We like to do our own thing as don't like large guided tours. We've booked one tour with P&O on the railway - not Flam the other one - purely because of supply/demand.

I would agree that Roll Calls for P&O are far less than any of the American lines. Maybe it's just that it's not something British cruisers are used to or like doing. I've been to one or two but they were very sparsely attended. Now we tend not to bother - we have two cruises booked in the next six months and there is no Roll Call for either of them - and I wouldn't start one. Don't mean to sound insular but it's just not our thing.

And why exactly are you having a go at me. I only pointed out why so many P&O cruisers would not be concerned. I look at roll calls and observe people going on tours. I am pointing out how few people it concerns. But you clearly know better. Or is it just that you like to stir as you have for a while.

He's probably having a go at you because you're normally one of the first to point out that members of this forum are not truly representative of the average P&O cruiser.

However back on topic, P&O obviously know their scheduled port times so why don't they issue them in the same way most of their competitors do?

As well as a possible way of increasing their shore excursion sales it also demonstrates, IMO, P&O's lethargy in going the extra mile to provide good customer service.

Widening the discussion a little, I know you disagree with me about the friendliness of hotel staff, but here's another example. On Celebrity by day 3 or 4 the MDR host/hostess will have remembered our room number, a few days later our names and our preferred table size and location, but on our Ventura's 28 day cruise neither of the two hosts on our dining room had remembered anything about us. Now I realise I am not the most memorable sort of guy, but since my wife uses a wheelchair you would think this ought to enable them to pick us out from the crowd.

I think this just characterises the lack of attention to customer service shown from the top of P&O management, and no wonder that this same apathy is evident with the rest of the hotel staff.

Edited by terrierjohn

I'm not having a go at you as you seem to think. However, I am just questioning the veracity of your broad brush statements.

As for stirring the pot, no, just replying to questions or questioning others comments which I am at liberty to do. It's called Cruise Critic. :D

As I've said before, probably won't sail with P&O again, but I have 1 booked and fully paid for which I need to try and I'll then make my mind up. That still shouldn't stop me commenting on what I feel are not customer friendly actions, rules, regulations or services provided by P&O prior to said cruise.

Just because P&O loyalists don't likely it, that's unfortunate, but we all don't look at things through rose tinted glasses nor accept what some may feel is substandard service and quality.

I would agree that Roll Calls for P&O are far less than any of the American lines. Maybe it's just that it's not something British cruisers are used to or like doing. I've been to one or two but they were very sparsely attended. Now we tend not to bother - we have two cruises booked in the next six months and there is no Roll Call for either of them - and I wouldn't start one. Don't mean to sound insular but it's just not our thing.

I am not bothered about meeting up on board but its a good way to meet pax who want to take trips and I have met some lovely people that way on Celebrity

Dare I generalise and say the average P&O passenger isn't quite so adventurous and will stick with ships tours ?