Flightseeing of some sort, which port? Advise Appreciated!

CMM

I want to make arrangements for an aerial viewing of the glaciers

Our land/sea cruise stops in:

-Denali 2 nights (one day we have the Tundra Wilnerness Tour)

-Mt McKinley 2 nights

-Skagway

-Juneau

-Ketchikan

Which of these places would be better and with which companies? Or would it be more or less the same experience in the air from all the different ports?

We will be traveling Sept 12-24.

Thanks for your advise!

your 2 night stay at 'Mt McKinley" is near the town of Talkeetna, which is a very popular location for flightseeing over Denali because it is so close to the mountain. The vendors offer different routes and you can go with or w/o a glacier landing. I think it's fixed-wing only in Talkeetna. You'll find the vendors in the town web site:

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/

I've attempted it a couple of times but was weathered out. A common problem so have backup plans regardless of where you choose. Talkeetna is a very small town with little else to do so this might be a good place given that you have 2 days.

Juneau is another popular location for flight seeing. Primarily helicopter. Many people combine this with dog sledding. Again, frequently weathered out. There are several different vendors, different routes, different glaciers. You can find the vendors on the town web site. http://www.traveljuneau.com

I don't know anything about glacier tours in Skagway or Ketchikan. Ketchikan flightseeing is usually for bear viewing trips or Misty Fjords.

Look at the town web sites for information.

http://www.skagway.com and http://www.experienceketchikan.com/alaska-air-charters.html

If you're going to be near Anchorage or Seward there is also flightseeing out of those 2 areas. Read thru trip reports in STICKYs above to find photos and first hand recommendations.

If you get weathered out at Denali, or simply want to take another flight, glacier flights are best out of either Skagway or Juneau as they are the closest to the large ice fields. I believe that most of these tours are in helicopters and you actually land on the glacier - some even have dog sled rides. Temsco and Era are the two largest providers in either/both ports.

Ketchikan is the entrance to the Misty Fjords NP - it is also the home to many float plane providers.

This is really helpful. So it sounds like my best bet is to plan for it at my time at Mt McKinley and then if it gets cancelled try for one of the others.

I wasn't thinking that much about the idea of not being able to do it because of the weather, but obviously this would be the case.

If I book one in advance for Talkeena and I don't get to go, is it likely that I could still book a last minute one in the remaining ports?

This is really helpful. So it sounds like my best bet is to plan for it at my time at Mt McKinley and then if it gets cancelled try for one of the others.

I wasn't thinking that much about the idea of not being able to do it because of the weather, but obviously this would be the case.

If I book one in advance for Talkeena and I don't get to go, is it likely that I could still book a last minute one in the remaining ports?

Talkeetna is your most- time? Don't have any plans? BUT, be certain to KNOW the details of the various tours, there are several and they are very different.

As for late booking- if you are open to any flights, you likely will be able to get a later booking, but don't count on any walk ups.

I've glacier flown in Ketchikan- but it's usually a very limited tour, that needs advance booking. You can sometimes, walk up for Misty. It's also assumed you don't have more than 2 people?

I really loved my flight from Skagway over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying. http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/ He is based down in Haines but offers flights from Skagway also. We had a lot of airtime on a spectacular day for flying. I've also done several flight our of Juneau but they were more expensive and had less time in the air. Michelle with Island Wings in Ketchikan is fantastic for a flight over Misty Fjords but really no glaciers.

My top choice would be Glacier bay with Paul. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Talkeetna is your most- time? Don't have any plans? BUT, be certain to KNOW the details of the various tours, there are several and they are very different.

As for late booking- if you are open to any flights, you likely will be able to get a later booking, but don't count on any walk ups.

I've glacier flown in Ketchikan- but it's usually a very limited tour, that needs advance booking. You can sometimes, walk up for Misty. It's also assumed you don't have more than 2 people?

Yes we don't have plans yet for Talkeetna and will be there the longest. If there are excellent tours out of Talkeetna it would be easiest to plan it there. Any company suggestions?

There will be only 2 of us.

Thanks!

I really loved my flight from Skagway over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying. http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/ He is based down in Haines but offers flights from Skagway also. We had a lot of airtime on a spectacular day for flying. I've also done several flight our of Juneau but they were more expensive and had less time in the air. Michelle with Island Wings in Ketchikan is fantastic for a flight over Misty Fjords but really no glaciers.

This looks like a very nice tour. Thank you for the recommendation!

I really loved my flight from Skagway over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying. http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/ He is based down in Haines but offers flights from Skagway also. We had a lot of airtime on a spectacular day for flying. Michelle with Island Wings in Ketchikan is fantastic for a flight over Misty Fjords but really no glaciers.

Let me second both of the above mentioned outfits. I've also taken both, they were true professionals and love what they do. I've also have owned a couple of planes and have flown myself for 30+ years. I felt completely safe with both of their planes and piloting skills.

IMHO both were equal but different. I took Paul's long flight to the Pacific from Skagway. Michelle's includes a mountain lake landing that was nothing short of spectacular.

Now go have fun...

framer