Time in Bermuda... Veendam V. Summit?

Capecodbeachfront

Can some one offer some details re: USABLE time in port?

Holland Veendam sails out of Boston 4PM.

Itinerary I saw shows Veendam getting to Bermuda by 1PM after 1 full day at sea. (Ex: Leave Boston on Friday, arrive Bermuda on Sunday). Then staying in Bermuda at Hamilton dock for 2 days before leaving on the 3rd day at 1PM

Compare this to Celebrity Summit leaving NJ 4PM.

Itinerary shows Summit with 2 full days at sea before arriving at Bermuda by 8AM on the third day. Then staying at Kings Wharf for balance of the arrival day, plus full day in port, then leaving at 4PM on the third day.

My questions:

1/ Does the Veendam from Boston actually take less time to get to Bermuda than the Summit from New Jersey?

Smaller, faster ship???

2/ Arriving at 1PM then leaving at 1PM with Veendam seems like it might not be very efficient use of port time? Especially the leaving at 1PM on the third day? Not sure I would want to venture too far from the ship.

3/ Would the Summit arriving at 8 AM then leaving at 4PM on the 3rd day actually be better use of port time?

4/ Would there be a huge difference in convenience between being in Hamilton with the Veendam vs. Kings Wharf for the Summit?

Any comments re: sailing experience with either ship would also be welcome. Recent reviews seem to favor Summit?

Thank you.

Edited by Capecodbeachfront

I'm not sure where you were looking but the Veendam departs: 5/14,5/21, 6/11 & 6/18, all Saturdays; and arrives in Bermuda on the following Monday (1:00PM), and departs Thursday (1:00PM). This is from the HAL site.

The convenience of being in Hamilton and the longer time in Bermuda is enough to make the Veendam my choice.

Advantages to docking in Hamilton: the #7 buses are less crowded going to/from Horseshoe Bay, you are not tied to the ferries which run less frequent than buses, you are much closer to most attractions (caves, BAMZ, BUEI...); don't have to ferry into Hamilton for Harbour Nights.

The only thing I miss while docked in Hamilton is the ferry ride to St George from the Dockyard: but if I'm in St George, I'll take the ferry to the Dockyard and then continue to Hamilton.

Assumption is that the bus & ferry schedules don't change much from 2015.

SBtS

Can some one offer some details re: USABLE time in port?

Holland Veendam sails out of Boston 4PM.

Itinerary I saw shows Veendam getting to Bermuda by 1PM after 1 full day at sea. (Ex: Leave Boston on Friday, arrive Bermuda on Sunday). Then staying in Bermuda at Hamilton dock for 2 days before leaving on the 3rd day at 1PM

Compare this to Celebrity Summit leaving NJ 4PM.

Itinerary shows Summit with 2 full days at sea before arriving at Bermuda by 8AM on the third day. Then staying at Kings Wharf for balance of the arrival day, plus full day in port, then leaving at 4PM on the third day.

My questions:

1/ Does the Veendam from Boston actually take less time to get to Bermuda than the Summit from New Jersey?

Smaller, faster ship???

2/ Arriving at 1PM then leaving at 1PM with Veendam seems like it might not be very efficient use of port time? Especially the leaving at 1PM on the third day? Not sure I would want to venture too far from the ship.

3/ Would the Summit arriving at 8 AM then leaving at 4PM on the 3rd day actually be better use of port time?

4/ Would there be a huge difference in convenience between being in Hamilton with the Veendam vs. Kings Wharf for the Summit?

Any comments re: sailing experience with either ship would also be welcome. Recent reviews seem to favor Summit?

Thank you.

1) It us not that Veendam is faster than Summit. Veendam is docking in Hamilton. It is small enough to do so. No other ships are docking in Hamilton. Summit is too big to dock in Hamilton. As are other ships. So while Veendam can sail directly to Bermuda, Summit has to wait at sea because other ships are docked at the Dockyard Monday and Tuesday. Veendam does not have to wait out at sea because other ships are not docked there. Notice from the itinerary that the return of Summit to Bayonne takes less time than sailing there.

2) Since Veendam is arriving in Hamilton 1PM is an efficient use of port time. Hamilton. There are shops, interesting buildings, parks, museums, a fort, restaurants/pubs and the like. Then you still have two whole days! Day 2 and day 3. Leaving at 1PM the last day, day 4, I would not venture far but there is no need too. Plenty to do in Hamilton.

3) Hamilton is in the center of the island and is more convenient as a starting point than the Dockyard. If I lived in New England I would choose Veendam over Summit without doubt because it docks in Hamilton. I almost would have sailed out of Boston anyway in June but my cruise buddies dog sitter was not available until Sunday and Veendam was a Saturday departure.

I have sailed on both ships to Bermuda. I sailed on Veendam twice when it left out of Manhattan. I picked it over Summit because it docks in Hamilton. I have also been on Summit four times, two of those to Bermuda. I would be fine sailing on either ship.

Edited by Charles4515

I might have the days of the week incorrect for the Veendam... I am looking at 2017?

Thank you for the explanation of "holding pattern" for the Summit waiting for space at Kings Wharf. Makes perfect sense, once explained to me.

Sneaky way for the Cruise company to have an additional 24 hours to entice me to spend more $$$.

:)

Charles, I re-read my post and see where I confused the stay in port issue.

BTW I also made up the sailing days of the week just as an example...

You make a very good case for Hamilton...

That first afternoon could be useful as you are centrally located at Hamilton.

Then would have 2 FULL days to sight see further from Hamilton...

I still might be a bit fearful of the final morning...

Probably just a last minute souvenir shopping trip close to the port!

Sailing from Boston does have an added advantage... our son lives there.

Thank you.

BTW In a separate post I asked about flying vs cruising to Bermuda.

I continue to look for flights as I could stay longer.

BUT so far direct flights have been scarce,

Others have long lay overs, and overall are more expensive that I expected.

I might have the days of the week incorrect for the Veendam... I am looking at 2017?

Thank you for the explanation of "holding pattern" for the Summit waiting for space at Kings Wharf. Makes perfect sense, once explained to me.

Sneaky way for the Cruise company to have an additional 24 hours to entice me to spend more $$$.

:)

I think the 2017 Veendam Bermuda sailings have the same itinerary as their 2016 itinerary. Looks like there are more Veendam sailings from Boston in 2017 than 2016. From four in 2016 to six in 2017. Two in May, two in June and two in July.

Interestingly my look at 2017 shows sailings out of Baltimore to Hamilton on the Carnival Pride in July, and September. Also a Carnival Sunshine sailing to Hamilton in September from New York. If Pride is going to be docked at the pier in Hamilton.... I didn't know that was possible. Pride and Summit are close in size.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles, I re-read my post and see where I confused the stay in port issue.

BTW I also made up the sailing days of the week just as an example...

You make a very good case for Hamilton...

That first afternoon could be useful as you are centrally located at Hamilton.

Then would have 2 FULL days to sight see further from Hamilton...

I still might be a bit fearful of the final morning...

Probably just a last minute souvenir shopping trip close to the port!

Sailing from Boston does have an added advantage... our son lives there.

Thank you.

BTW In a separate post I asked about flying vs cruising to Bermuda.

I continue to look for flights as I could stay longer.

BUT so far direct flights have been scarce,

Others have long lay overs, and overall are more expensive that I expected.

Isn't it early to find flights for 2017? Some airlines like Jet Blue don't open their flights until six months out. Most others not until 330 days out.

Edited by Charles4515

We took the "Veendam" I think it was 3 yrs ago when it was sailing out of Manhattan to Bermuda. We took the "Summit" last year from NJ to Bermuda. We are taking the "Veendam" of out Boston again this summer. As far as the ship/line, we like both equally. We'e sailed on "X" and HAL several times, each. If both ships were the only ships in port, it would be a toss up. THe "Veendam" is the only ship docked in Hamilton. While the "Summit" is t Kings Wharf, so is the NCL "Breakaway". There are a LOT of people between the two ships at Kings Wharf. Queues for cabs, busses, ferries are lengthy. If you are going to St Georges's, it's a MUCH longer trip than from Hamilton. If you are going to Horseshoe Bay, it's about the same distance from either. If you want to go check out Kings Wharf from Hamilton, a bus or ferry is pretty convenient. If you go to "Street Night" in Hamilton, you're right there on the"Veendam" and can watch a lot of it right from the deck. You get a little more time in Bermuda taking the "Veendam". Weighing all of the options....my 1t choice would be the "Veendam". Again, not because of the ship or the line, or even the little bit more extra time in Bermuda, but because of where you dock, and what other ship docks (or doesn't) with you.

Edited by marco

Neither of the comparative travel time estimates in the preceeding post are accurate.

It actually takes less time to get to St. Georges from Dockyard than it does from Hamilton.

The ferry from Dockyard to St. George's takes 40 to 45 minutes. The bus takes 50 to 65 minutes from Hamilton to St. George's depending on the bus route, and with traffic the ride can be even longer.

In fairness, it takes less time to get to Horseshoe Bay from Hamilton by bus or taxi than it does from Dockyard.

Neither of the comparative travel time estimates in the preceeding post are accurate.

It actually takes less time to get to St. Georges from Dockyard than it does from Hamilton.

The ferry from Dockyard to St. George's takes 40 to 45 minutes. The bus takes 50 to 65 minutes from Hamilton to St. George's depending on the bus route, and with traffic the ride can be even longer.

In fairness, it takes less time to get to Horseshoe Bay from Hamilton by bus or taxi than it does from Dockyard.

Your times are true. I would add those going to Elbow Beach or Coco Reef would be closer in Hamilton. In the old days we were able to dock at both Hamilton and St. George. That really was the best. Veendam was supposed to dock at St. George the year I booked it the first time but HAL added cabins to Veendam after they announced the itinerary, which changed the ship enough that it was determined she would not be able to go thru the Cut to St. George. Was still supposed to go to St. George and tender but that was a fail.

I saw there was a cruise in 2017 that reminded me of the old days. Doing both Hamilton and St. George, an 11 day that also does New England. Unfortunately it is on Oceania, a great cruise line but also at about four times the price of a typical Bermuda cruise on Celebrity, HAL or NCL.

we flew on AA out of DCA last Aug. for about $350RT and stayed a week. Fabulous. PHL, NYC, ATL and DCA all have nonstops (some only on SAT) in the summer, I believe.

having stayed for 1 week last summer, we traveled mainly by bus to/from Hamilton. The bus takes about 25 minutes to get to St.George or the caves. About 15 minutes to HB or Elbow. I would pick a ship the went to Hamilton to be more central and avoid the crowds. Here would be my days:

1pm arrival--if good weather, go to Elbow beach for a few hours (no real facilities, but you can buy something at the EB hotel beach bar and then use their bathroom), then back to the boat and then out for dinner in H or out after dinner for nightlife.

day 2--bus to St. G--back for dinner

day 3--bus to HB, take change of cothes and freshen up (outdoor shower, good bathrooms/changing rooms, snack bar with really good fish sandwiches+other stuff), then bus to Kings Wharf to explore, ferry back to H

day 4--explore downtown H for a few hours before you depart.

Edited by elaine5

Your times are true. I would add those going to Elbow Beach or Coco Reef would be closer in Hamilton. In the old days we were able to dock at both Hamilton and St. George. That really was the best. Veendam was supposed to dock at St. George the year I booked it the first time but HAL added cabins to Veendam after they announced the itinerary, which changed the ship enough that it was determined she would not be able to go thru the Cut to St. George. Was still supposed to go to St. George and tender but that was a fail.

I saw there was a cruise in 2017 that reminded me of the old days. Doing both Hamilton and St. George, an 11 day that also does New England. Unfortunately it is on Oceania, a great cruise line but also at about four times the price of a typical Bermuda cruise on Celebrity, HAL or NCL.

We miss the good old days of docking in St. George's and Hamilton on the same cruise. Our favorite ship doing that itinerary was Celebrity's Zenith, departing from Manhattan.

Summit just came out of dry dock. We didn't find any long lines for taxis from Dockyard. The trick is get up early and get out and enjoy. We were out by 9:00 am. We did a snorkel trip on the last day and it's steps from the ship. Then some quick shopping and back to the ship before the all aboard

If you are taking the bus from the Dockyard to St George's it DOES twice as long (within 10 minutes or so) as it does than taking the bus from Hamilton to St George's.

Taking the bus from Hamilton to St. George and back works for me. Like seeing that part of Bermuda. Love Flatts Village. I stop there even though I don't care much for the Aquarium and Zoo, I like the scenic view there. On the bus ride back I stop at the Original Swizzle Inn and sit on the balcony. Also the caves are along that route so those want to do the caves can do that. You could do Aquarium, Caves, Swizzle and St George very efficiently. So when you have a transportation pass the time the bus takes isn't a problem if you get on and off.

Edited by Charles4515

Summit just came out of dry dock. We didn't find any long lines for taxis from Dockyard. The trick is get up early and get out and enjoy. We were out by 9:00 am. We did a snorkel trip on the last day and it's steps from the ship. Then some quick shopping and back to the ship before the all aboard

I agree about getting off by 9:00. On one of the threads someone posited getting off at 10:30. Bad idea. Also in the last few years they have improved the transportation from the dockyard and also the signs and information for getting around. At the beginning I despised docking there. Now I can tolerate it.

If you are taking the bus from the Dockyard to St George's it DOES twice as long (within 10 minutes or so) as it does than taking the bus from Hamilton to St George's.

But why would you take buses from Dockyard to St. George's on a day when the ferry is running? Even if the ferry to St. George's isn't running if you take the ferry to Hamilton and then a bus to St. George's it's much faster than taking buses from Dockyard to St. George's...nowhere near twice as long as a bus from Hamilton to St. George's.