Oriana

jackieo

Hi there

I am hoping someone can help me

We just booked a great deal for 2018 on Oriana. We grabbed an inside cabin on deck C right at the back past the rear stairs and lifts. Can you tell me if there is an outside door to the rear open deck space?

Thanks very much.

Jackie

Well that's OK then :-) We love Oriana, even though many don't. On her again in October and just booked for the following year.

Thanks for all the info. I see others are talking about the shudder.

We may just need an extra glass of wine to get us off to sleep! Lol. I am sure it will be fine. We are really looking forward to it. She seems a very traditional type ship.

Edited by jackieo

Well that's OK then :-) We love Oriana, even though many don't. On her again in October and just booked for the following year.

She would be lovely if P&O actually carried out some maintenance on her, as at the moment she is looking a bit worse for wear.

She would be lovely if P&O actually carried out some maintenance on her, as at the moment she is looking a bit worse for wear.

She's going in later this year in Nov or December for refurbishment :)

I'm always reading about ships needing refurbishment. I've never noticed it on Oriana personally, maybe I just don't look in the right places. Having been on the new ship AZura with flooded carpets outside the public toilets and the toilets not working.....

She's going in later this year in Nov or December for refurbishment :)

About time too but I still think P&O should get rid of Oriana. They are struggling to fill all their ships and obviously have over capacity. We last sailed on Oriana in March 2014 and after suffering no clean drinkable water in stateroom throughout the cruise, mucky brownish yellow water intermittently in shower which you didn't know it was going to happen, constant numerous toilets out of order throughout the ship and a very serious water leak in corridor on passenger cabin deck and leaks in Tiffany's and Photo Gallery we said we wouldn't cruise on her ever again. Advertised only this week on cruise TA TV show a 34nts cruise in October with a free Ipad for £1119 obviously not selling well to offer a price like that so early.

BTW when contacted P&O on our return home after repeated complaints about our stateroom water to Pursers desk and they ignoring the problem and didn't do anything P&O within days without question offered serious compensation because they knew they were seriously in the wrong for not providing clean, drinkable water and water clean enough to wash in. Surprisingly!!!! the cruise prior to the one we were on they had a serious noro virus/gastro problem throughout the ship.

Edited by majortom10

About time too but I still think P&O should get rid of Oriana. They are struggling to fill all their ships and obviously have over capacity. We last sailed on Oriana in March 2014 and after suffering no clean drinkable water in stateroom throughout the cruise, mucky brownish yellow water intermittently in shower which you didn't know it was going to happen, constant numerous toilets out of order throughout the ship and a very serious water leak in corridor on passenger cabin deck and leaks in Tiffany's and Photo Gallery we said we wouldn't cruise on her ever again. Advertised only this week on cruise TA TV show a 34nts cruise in October with a free Ipad for £1119 obviously not selling well to offer a price like that so early.

BTW when contacted P&O on our return home after repeated complaints about our stateroom water to Pursers desk and they ignoring the problem and didn't do anything P&O within days without question offered serious compensation because they knew they were seriously in the wrong for not providing clean, drinkable water and water clean enough to wash in. Surprisingly!!!! the cruise prior to the one we were on they had a serious noro virus/gastro problem throughout the ship.

Hi majortom 10 yes Oriana is for sale if you go into cruise ships for sale, you will see her there, but at the end of the day what would you prefer ORIANA with her prom deck and her fine fitting,s, or one of the modern day Leviathan,s just a thought

I know which I prefer, in fact our choice of ships is getting smaller. We are going to try Voyages of Discovery next :-)

I don't think she is for sale at the minute. This story has been doing the rounds and she has cruises booked until March 2018!

Edited by jeanlyon

This sounds roughly where my cabin was but on A deck. There was a door to the rear deck which was handy, but it didnt get the constant passage of, say, the pool deck.

Oriana is a ship the divides people, but I really liked her. I wont deny our toilet stopped working for a few hours and on one occasion I did see a workman doing something technical to the plumbing in the corridor, but that was the sum of the problems in my two weeks.

You do notice the engines but its really more of a hum then a judder, even as close to the back of the ship as I was.

I would be sad to see Oriana go. She has more character and style then the Ventura, which I thought was 'fine' but just a bit antiseptic (and overheated!)

Hi majortom 10 yes Oriana is for sale if you go into cruise ships for sale, you will see her there, but at the end of the day what would you prefer ORIANA with her prom deck and her fine fitting,s, or one of the modern day Leviathan,s just a thought

Yes this story is old and she is not for sale apparently this is common that ships are offered for sale by odd firms who do not own the ships. It has to have been round for 3/4 years.

As stated before my guess is five years after he next refurbishment. So sometime 2020/1

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very easy to answer would prefer Britannia or Azura any day of the week compared to Oriana and would never cruise on her again whatever the price. Fine fittings are not very good when you are sitting in Tiffany's drinking coffee with buckets everywhere dodging the water leaking through the roof like it happened with us.

Oh yes I'd forgotten that! We were on her in Nov 2014 and there were buckets catching water which was pouring from the ceiling, whilst everyone was sitting in their formal wear trying to ignore it [emoji52]

Edited by Florry

Oriana looked very tired when we were on her last year. The screws have always juddered, one place to avoid in the dining room is by the windows in the stern oriental restaurant, got stuck there twice. Can be a great view but can't hear yourselves think.

• 1 month later...

OMG. Where we really on the same ship.

We have just returned from Oriana after 52 nights on board. The ship is a classic and we both much prefer this ship to the larger Azura and Ventura. We haven't been on Britannia so can't comment.

We always have a stern cabin on D deck. The judder is there very occasionally but more noticeable as the ship is docking. We never noticed any sound or motion whilst at sea other than on the 2 very rough days when it was bad everywhere on the ship. We ate in the mid ships restaurant and there was no movement or judder,

The entertainment and public rooms are far better than any other ship we have sailed on in the fleet. The crew are happy and friendly and the officers are seen regularly around the ship talking to both passengers and crew.

We would not hesitate to book this ship again in the same cabin or same area. There is a door at the end of the passageway which leads directly onto the aft deck. I would not book cabins next to this door as it is used a lot and bangs in the wind.

Sue

Edited by kersh

OMG. Where we really on the same ship.

We have just returned from Oriana after 52 nights on board. The ship is a classic and we both much prefer this ship to the larger Azura and Ventura. We haven't been on Britannia so can't comment.

We always have a stern cabin on D deck. The judder is there very occasionally but more noticeable as the ship is docking. We never noticed any sound or motion whilst at sea other than on the 2 very rough days when it was bad everywhere on the ship. We ate in the mid ships restaurant and there was no movement or judder,

The entertainment and public rooms are far better than any other ship we have sailed on in the fleet. The crew are happy and friendly and the officers are seen regularly around the ship talking to both passengers and crew.

We would not hesitate to book this ship again in the same cabin or same area. There is a door at the end of the passageway which leads directly onto the aft deck. I would not book cabins next to this door as it is used a lot and bangs in the wind.

Sue

I am on her for the first time at the end of this month...will give an honest review when I get back. Friends of ours are on her at the moment, also their first cruise on Oriana, getting off as we get on and we are meeting them on "changeover" day for breakfast in Southampton so will hear what they think too!

I have been on 8 ships altogether, 4 of them P &O, 4 Cunard.....and have never, ever, been on a cruise where my toilet hasn't packed up at least once during the cruise...it seems to be an occupational hazard of that type of plumbing system. Not helped by the fact that people (not me!) continue to throw things down the toilet that they shouldn't....including toilet paper brought with them from home! The flimsy stuff on board is flimsy for a reason!

Just returned too from a great trip on Oriana.

We did think the carpets in the corridors in particular were much in need of replacement, some windows were clouded and could do with replacing but otherwise we found the ship very comfortable, plenty of outside deck space, good choice of venues/bars, entertainment varied and generally very good and a good variety of menu choice and enjoyable food (in mdr) so we'd have no hesitation in travelling on her again.

There was a noticeable judder and noise in the Pacific Lounge which didn't bother us for most events held in there except for when the classical musicians played. We felt it totally disrespectful of the musicians to expect them to play with such an accompaniment! On Aurora they were scheduled in the cinema - seems that would be a good idea on Oriana too given the vibration etc in the stern.

If the carpets are replaced in Oct that will give an instant face-lift and significantly improve first impressions - but having been on for some time such things didn't assume much importance. We love the design and much prefer the tiered stern and general space on this ship to many others.

I'll be interested to see Oriana after the refit and would look forward to sailing on her again.

Edited by kruzseeka

We too have just spent five weeks on Oriana....i would agree the beige carpets on Deck 7 in particular need replacing and also the settees and armchairs in Andersons need the seat cushions replacing....are you listening P &O !!!

However we had no problems with our bathroom during the cruise, which was probably a first! We did notice quite a bit of rust externally especially around the cabin windows so hope this will be addressed during the refit. She is probably our favourite ship now that Adonia is not with us, and we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. :)

Welcome home girls, :) Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to those reviews xx

Not yet! Got visitors coming to stay. :eek: Don't know if I'm on my head or my heels! Thanks for the welcome home. It was a really good trip though Linda. I'd do it all again... more later. ;)