Advice Regarding Boat or Plane Excursion in Alaska

Sophie's Mom1

We are sailing roundtrip from Vancouver in August, on Nieuw Amsterdam.

It is our lst time in Alaska and we would like to chose one special excursion.

We have narrowed it down to two extraordinary adventures and now need help on the pros and cons of each. The first is Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer which sounds like we get up much closer to the glaciers and may see some wildlife. However, we do spend several hours 2 days later on Glacier Bay, so is this a bit repetitious? The second is Magnificent Misty Fjords by Floatplane. I would be quite nervous in this small plane even though it sounds like a spectacular experience. I spoke with a H.A. rep and she said we couldn't go wrong with either! Now I would like to get more specific by asking if anyone has actually done both? The price is very comparable. Thank you!

We are sailing roundtrip from Vancouver in August' date=' on Nieuw Amsterdam.

We have narrowed it down to two extraordinary adventures and now need help on the pros and cons of each. The first is Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer which sounds like we get up much closer to the glaciers and may see some wildlife. However, we do spend several hours 2 days later on Glacier Bay, so is this a bit repetitious? The second is Magnificent Misty Fjords by Floatplane. I would be quite nervous in this small plane even though it sounds like a spectacular experience. I spoke with a H.A. rep and she said we couldn't go wrong with either! Now I would like to get more specific by asking if anyone has actually done both? The price is very comparable. Thank you![/quote']

We have done Tracy Arm in the cruise ship (they no longer do this I think) so a bit different, but it is alot different than Glacier Bay. We have also done Misty Fords in the float plane (HAL excursion).

The float plane to Misty Fords is quite and experience and I would select it over Tracy Arm. However, float planes are somewhat more dangerous and some people get quite uncomfortable in a 6-8 passenger plane (did not bother me but I have been up in 2-4 passenger planes for my job a hundred or so times). My wife has been up several times before in a small plane, but she was still a bit uncomfortable with this and would not get out on the float in the middle of the remote lake we landed on.

Further, the weather in Ketchikan is often rainy, so you very well could get cancelled in the float plane. It fact, we were cancelled on our first two cruises and finally did it on an absolutely perfect (rare) day and the scenery was FANTASTIC!

I hope this gives you some guidance, but either excursion is quite beautiful and something you will always remember.

Haven't done either of these excursions but on our second Alaska cruise we took a helicopter to a glacier, landed, and spent about an hour with a naturalist. It was fantastic and well worth the expense.

I have done the float plane excursion to Misty Fjords. I screwed up my courage and made up my mind I was going to do this. IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST SHORE EXCURSIONS I HAVE EXPERIENCED!

To land in the lake and allow the crew to help us leave the plane and stand on the plane's floats and then to experience the total, and I mean total, silence of where we were plus viewing the scenery: there are no words to describe this.

The tour was not inexpensive. But, IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY THAT I PAID FOR IT!

We have done Tracy Arm in the cruise ship (they no longer do this I think) so a bit different, but it is alot different than Glacier Bay. We have also done Misty Fords in the float plane (HAL excursion).

>SNIP<

The cruise ships still do cruise Tracy Arm, on some of the itineraries.

We are sailing roundtrip from Vancouver in August' date=' on Nieuw Amsterdam.

We have narrowed it down to two extraordinary adventures and now need help on the pros and cons of each. The first is Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer which sounds like we get up much closer to the glaciers and may see some wildlife. However, we do spend several hours 2 days later on Glacier Bay, so is this a bit repetitious? The second is Magnificent Misty Fjords by Floatplane. I would be quite nervous in this small plane even though it sounds like a spectacular experience. I spoke with a H.A. rep and she said we couldn't go wrong with either! Now I would like to get more specific by asking if anyone has actually done both? The price is very comparable. Thank you![/quote']Thoughts....

• is this early August? Alaskan weather is dryer earlier in the month. Are you pre-cruising in Vancouver on July 30th? There's a massive Disney fireworks show.
  • Which Tracy Arm excursion are you on? Seriously check to see if you can get on the mid-cruise trip that later meets the mothership in Juneau. This will maximize your Juneau time. This excursion is always sold out before the ship departs. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935 Other Tracy Arm excursions from Juneau return waste too much time retracing 50 miles of water.
  • Glacier Bay is best for glacier seekers. Tracy Arm has a small glacier 31 miles up the fjord.
  • You might have time to fit in a third glacier.... Mendenhall while in Juneau.
  • hope you have extra days planned in Vancouver pre and post-cruise.... lots to do in this bonus port as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

Thoughts....

• is this early August? Alaskan weather is dryer earlier in the month. Are you pre-cruising in Vancouver on July 30th? There's a massive Disney fireworks show.
  • Which Tracy Arm excursion are you on? Seriously check to see if you can get on the mid-cruise trip that later meets the mothership in Juneau. This will maximize your Juneau time. This excursion is always sold out before the ship departs. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935 Other Tracy Arm excursions from Juneau return waste too much time retracing 50 miles of water.
  • Glacier Bay is best for glacier seekers. Tracy Arm has a small glacier 31 miles up the fjord.
  • hope you have extra days planned in Vancouver pre and post-cruise.... lots to do in this bonus port as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

I love the way you are so positive about how the weather will be in early August. You should know weather is always a gamble at any time in Alaska and the Pacific NW. Have you actually ever been at that time or are you just reading travel journals?

Edited to add.... just noticed Cow Princess's post, and I also recommend visiting the Alaska forum where there are many seasoned Alaska visitors and residents who post great info.

Edited by Lizzie68

I've done both tours, via HAL.

First, Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay are two entirely different experiences. Tracy Arm is a ride up a gorgeous fjord, with a glacier at the end. Glacier Bay is a day experiencing glaciers, and there's a bay full of water all around. The focus of the visit is different.

The Tracy Arm excursion has you transfer to a small, enclosed boat for your ride up the fjord. Lovely scenery. Unless blocked by icebergs (my excursion wasn't), you will get very close to either (or both) South & North Sawyer Glaciers. Great sights, and nice to see them from water level.

This is quite different from seeing glaciers from the higher decks of the cruise ship, which is also further away. It was a good excursion in not so great weather. Would have been better in nicer weather.

The boat takes you back to the ship in Juneau, where it heads when it drops you off. There's plenty of time to see some of Juneau when you get back.

I had been advised on my first Alaska cruise that if I did nothing else, I must go flightseeing. I did not take that advice on that cruise.

I learned, though, and did it the next time I was in that area. Wonderful excursion. The quiet when the plane landed on the water, and we climbed out on the pontoons, was nothing like I've ever heard before.

The problem with this tour is if the weather is less than grand it will either be canceled, or you won't get as good an experience.

Whatever you choose, have a great time in The Great Land.

We've done the Tracy Arm trip through HAL. One of the best Alaska excursions we have ever done. Well worth the money.

We had done Tracy Arm twice before via cruise ship. Totally different experience. You are able to get much closer to the Glacier. We spent quite awhile watching the glacier calved huge chunks of ice.

Very different experience from Glacier Bay. The scenery is gorgeous and the boat was very nice. Three decks - two inside and one outside.

I'd highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

I love the way you are so positive about how the weather will be in early August. You should know weather is always a gamble at any time in Alaska and the Pacific NW. Have you actually ever been at that time or are you just reading travel journals?

I'm also basing my recommendations with climate charts. I prefer dry weather for excursions and I assume others do to. If so.... May to July historically has the dryer weather.

I do recognize July to August is dryer in Cascadia. Thus July is the best weather for both Alaska and Cascadia.

Edited by xlxo

We did misty fiords with Michelle of Island Wings and it was fabulous. We went in her 8 seater (beaver). It turned out DH and I were the only pax. :D. Part of her tour is a 30 minute landing and walk around. We landed in Rudyard Bay. Wow. Yep, it was raining, and you could see hundreds of little waterfalls over the cliffs.

That was our second best shorex. The best being helicopter ride to mends hall glacier and 2 hour walk on the glacier with Northstar. We booked directly- I don't think that option is available anymore. You have to go through HAL.

Alaska was made to be seen from the air. The inside passage of Alaska is also a temperate rain forrest. It rains there.

We have taken ten or eleven two week round trip cruises in Alaska. On the first trip we booked an inside stateroom, and five, count em five flight excursions in a two week period. All five were cancelled due to rain. But we loved Alaska and have been vacationing there ever since. We have had better luck since.

Of all the excursions to Misty Fiords, our favorite is the float plane one way and excursion boat the other. It is a combination experience. Even if they have to cancel the flight, you still get to see Misty Fiords from a catamaran boat. This excursion has a plan B. It ensures that you and your money both don't go back home together.

Cruising the inside passage is a wonderful experience in itself. We found out how to get to the bow of the ship, and learned to fill up our commuter coffee cups and head up there in the mornings.

Anyway, having done ever excursion possible, we gave up on the inside staterooms. Now, a stateroom with a balcony of some kind is a must.

If you only plan on cruising Alaska once, a floatplane experience somewhere is also a must. Once in your lifetime, see Alaska from the air. If one flight gets cancelled, you might consider booking a flight from the next port of call.

Bon Voyage

Thoughts....

We are going Aug. 20-27th. Prior to the cruise, we are spending 2 days in Victoria, an overnight in Whistler and 5 days in Vancouver. Can't wait! and yes, this excursion is right off the ship and meeting up with it in Juneau.

We are going Aug. 20-27th. Prior to the cruise' date=' we are spending 2 days in Victoria, an overnight in Whistler and 5 days in Vancouver. Can't wait! and yes, this excursion is right off the ship and meeting up with it in Juneau.[/quote']

I am leaning towards the small boat experience up Tracy Arm Fjord since a small plane is just not in my comfort level.

Thank you all for your great advice. I feel confident that I've made the right choice!

We are going Aug. 20-27th. Prior to the cruise' date=' we are spending 2 days in Victoria, an overnight in Whistler and 5 days in Vancouver. Can't wait! and yes, this excursion is right off the ship and meeting up with it in Juneau.[/quote']

That's quite the trip you have planned - you will love Whistler in the summer! And yes, doing the excursion off the ship is a great way to go. We have done that.

I am leaning towards the small boat experience up Tracy Arm Fjord since a small plane is just not in my comfort level.

Thank you all for your great advice. I feel confident that I've made the right choice!

Good idea to go with what you are comfortable with - it will make it all the more enjoyable not having to worry.

Once I hosted a large group on a flight over and in the Grand Canyon in small planes. One lady just could not get on the plane once see saw how small it was and asked me if she could change her mind. I told her, "of course you can and I certainly do not want you on my plane if you are that afraid of it!". It would have been a bad experience for everyone I am certain.

Just my two cents:

I did the float plane excursion through the Misty Fjords after reading so much that it was a must do experience.

I thought it was just okay. I liked it, didn't love it. Wouldn't do it again and thought it was a lot of money for the experience.

In Alaska I was able to do a small boat excursion through Prince William Sound. Its not the same excursion you are talking about, but likely a similar type of excursion. I loved that experience. There is nothing like being in a smaller boat going through and seeing glaciers and wildlife close to the water. That to me was a MUST do experience.

We did the Magnificent Misty Fjords by Float plane and it was the highlight of our Alaskan cruise. I would highly recommend it. The scenery is beautiful and it's amazing to see it from a small plane. Just be aware that they will ask each passenger for an exact weight so the plane is not overloaded.

Personally, I don't mind small planes, but others have reservations about flying in one. We've taken small planes several times over the years so we are accustomed to flying in them. If you are at all nervous about it, then you probably won't enjoy it.

We have booked the small boat excursion through Tracy Arm Fjord that leaves from our ship. We are really looking forward to that and also to our first cruise with Holland America.

Thanks everyone for your informative replies. I enjoyed reading them!

We have booked the small boat excursion through Tracy Arm Fjord that leaves from our ship. We are really looking forward to that and also to our first cruise with Holland America.

Thanks everyone for your informative replies. I enjoyed reading them!

I think you made the right choice.

The first time we went to Alaska we didn't do any excursions (it was also our first cruise). We had a great time just exploring on our own.

The second time we went, we chose three excursions a whale watching tour in Juneau (which was the highlight of our trip) all I can say is WOW, something I will never forget. We took a float plane in Ketchikan that my husband loved but me, not so much. I'm not a fan of small planes so I was a little anxious and I would not do it again. We took a very private boat trip in Sitka, just me, my DH and the captain and saw a lot of wildlife. The excursions really made this trip for us.

We are going again in August and we have chosen three excursions through HAL that all have great reviews. 1st is the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan where you are on a crab fishing boat and the big draw for me was they feed the eagles so you see plenty of them, up close and personal. 2nd is the Mendenhall Glacier Explorer in Juneau where you get to spend 2 hours at the glacier. 3rd is the 26 Glacier Cruise & Wildlife Conservation Center in Anchorage which should be similar to your Misty Fjords cruise. We are looking forward to all three of these.

Alaska is a beautiful place and I don't think I would ever get tired of cruising there.

Have fun on your cruise!!

We are going again in August and we have chosen three excursions through HAL that all have great reviews.

I've taken all three of those tours (on different cruises). You have chosen well, and should have a great time!

Alaska is a beautiful place and I don't think I would ever get tired of cruising there.

You are so right (she says 12 weeks of cruising and 4 weeks of land touring later) ;).