Bringing SMALL electrical stuff on board

jnojr

Do you bring power strips, ext. cords, small electrical stuff on board?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bring power strips, ext. cords, small electrical stuff on board?

• Yes, always, it never gets taken!
    • Yes, sometimes I lose it, oh well
    • No, I used to, but they took it too often so I stopped

My travel CPAP has a three outlet extension cord plugged into it. The one the ship gives you is the orange industrial kind that is bulky and not flexible. CPAPs cut off if you are not breathing, (easy test of when I'm alive for my husband!), and the cord is not under a carpet or bed clothes. I've never been questioned about it on any cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe the issue is not power strips but surge suppressors. A power strip (or simple multiple plug) without a surge suppressor should not be a problem but most power strips have surge suppressors. Chengkp75 has reported that it is an issue on ships because their power systems are different from land based systems. A poster (retired electrical engineer) took him on and after investigation came to the same conclusion. A big part of the reason is that surge suppressors degrade with a series of power spikes, and there is a lot of that on ships. Here's his explanation from the HAL forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

Roy

As mentioned by both knotraxed and jagsfan, when I cruise with my Cpap i'v also been given a 50' brightly colored cord. The newest Cpap I received last month has a transformer that now requires that it be plugged into a surge protector. There are small rechargeable batteries inside for air travel or loss of power.

I did call customer service and they see no problem with its use on the ship, and will try to have a less visible extension cord. The ship also provides distilled water for the Cpap as required.

HAL

Yes, yes. Thank you Roy for finding that post. It explains it well.

Again it comes down to the fact that security may not find all the power strips that pax bring on board. Even when they do, they may not be able to tell whether or not they present a risk. Hence, some items are allowed to pass that shouldn't be, and a few that are perfectly okay are taken anyway.

There are some situations where a member of CC may tell another member that they were able to bring something or do something on board even if it is against the rules. That is fine if the pax chose to take that risk upon themselves. However if something is a documented safety risk, just because you didn't get caught does not mean the risk doesn't exist. Why would you put your safety and other's at risk just because it is inconvenient or you don't like the colour of the cord they give you?

I voted NO...but not because the took it...because it's not needed! I have brought my electric fan...can't live without it.

You don't have a complete poll list.

Don't agree with a lot you post CB, but this I do.

Didn't vote as there was no option for "no" or "the things I bring are allowed"

There are some situations where a member of CC may tell another member that they were able to bring something or do something on board even if it is against the rules. That is fine if the pax chose to take that risk upon themselves. However if something is a documented safety risk, just because you didn't get caught does not mean the risk doesn't exist. Why would you put your safety and other's at risk just because it is inconvenient or you don't like the colour of the cord they give you?

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I remember when I was a newbie here on Cruise Critic, and I came upon a thread where people were asking for, and offering, tips on how to get around some of the cruise line rules on what could be brought on board. I reported the thread as inappropriate, because I thought that surely it was, but apparently Cruise Critic is okay with it. In fact, you're more likely to get censured for telling someone they shouldn't do such things.

Edited by Paul65

What is the difference between the extension cords they supply and the ones we bring on board?

Their cord- Known wire gauge (capacity). Known condition. Known length and visibility (suitability to the expected task).

Your cord- Unknown gauge, condition. May be too short to do the expected job, and/or difficult to see in a semi darkened cabin (tripping hazard).

It shouldn't matter if you got caught or not. There are specific reasons certain things are not allowed. They are a fire hazard. Just because security didn't notice does not mean that it is okay. They are a hazard to safety in ways you most likely don't understand. It has nothing to do with frayed cords or condition of the device (although those are hazards separate from this topic). Marine electrical systems are different and certain aspects of that design makes certain types of items dangerous. Most notably surge suppressors, but there are other items as well. I know there is another regular contributor here on CC who can explain it better than me and I'll post a link to his explanation if he or someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Edit: I believe that user is chengkp75. Still trying to find the thread.

Here is a recent thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332780

Another horrible poll. If you want responses you have to give everyone an option.

A simple, this does not apply to me.... If I click and the answers are all not applicable to me, well I feel like you made me waste my time.

Just Sayin.... Sad and pathetic.

JC:D