Uber in Europe?

cruisegal415

My sister just returned from Budapest, Prague and Munich and said she used Uber everywhere. I didn't realize Uber was in Europe! Does anyone know if Uber is in Rome, or other ports in Europe? (Barcelona, Marseille, St. Tropez, Monaco, Ibiza, or elsewhere?) I'm going to also post this on the Spain and France boards.

I wonder how their prices compare to cabs? Or if we get stuck and need transportation back to the ship in one of these ports? Or just to get around if we don't have an excursion booked like in St. Tropez or Ibiza and we want to go to one of the nicer beaches?

Anyone have experience using Uber in the Med?

The Uber you are accustomed to in the States does not exist in Italy as it was judged to be illegal by a court in Milan.

They do offer a service, it's just different and I don't think it saves you any money. For example, the Uber fare from FCO airport in Rome into the city is €60 vs. the taxi fare of €48.

Uber drivers in Italy don't use their personal cars, they must use vehicles that are specially licensed for public transport. The other main difference is that drivers must hold a commercial driving license, just like taxi drivers.

Article explaining this here (in Italian but you can use Google translate to get the main ideas): http://www.ilpost.it/2015/07/10/uber-illegale-sentenza/

• 4 months later...

I used Uber many times in Paris last year. I used my regular US Uber app and it worked exactly the same way. We used it for larger groups (requested a van) and for single person trips. Since it was fashion week getting a cab at certain ranks was close to impossible with the crowds so uber, although not perfect (language barriers -that's on me and my lousy French, also one time I was left high and dry when the driver canceled last minute) came in very handy.

I hope it becomes more popular all over as it gives riders more choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Used both in Rome and Paris in June 2016. Cannot make comparison to taxi prices, but loved the way it works. I could see on phone map where the car was and see it approaching my address. Picture and name of driver on my phone. Driver called me by name when he picked me up so I felt very safe. Great vehicles nice drivers. Only negative, do not try to use during rush hours to airport , price goes way up.

Edited by kentuckysailor
Left out date.