Acceptable Attire in the Main Dining Room for Oasis Class Ships

Looks like a few nerves were touched! Let me clarify that I'm not trying to wear shorts and flip flops to dinner. Just a nice pair of trousers and button down dress shirt. I have no problem respecting those who prefer to treat dinner as more of black tie event as long as my right not dress a bit more casual is respected. Trust me, your food quality and dining room experience will not be impacted. Thanks to all for your responses and feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's all good chenj78! This is always a touchy subject. You cared enough to ask and that says a great deal about you! We've seen many things on cruise ships and this is a forum so there were some good contributors from all points of view. Enjoy your cruise!

By evening, I am often too hot to even consider adorning myself with a suite. I normally wear a nice short sleeve dress shirt, dress slacks with dress shoes. I fit in fine and feel comfortable. I would never wear shorts or a casual shirt.

On the other hand, some gents might wear, a sleeveless with shorts and flip flops so that they can clip their toenails while waiting on their meal. :)

Just a note to those who say the dress code is not enforced. That may be true on some ships but some do. I just got off Grandeur. I noticed that there were gentlemen who were asked to remove their hats and I saw a man in a sleeveless shirt turned away during lunch. Several men were turned away who were trying to enter the MDR wearing shorts during dinner. FYI only. Katherine

The crew isn't trying to have an experience...their just doing their job. As far as your experience...enjoy yourself...but allow other's to do so as well. It shouldn't matter what other's are wearing...if it does...perhaps opt for a more formal cruiseline...there are several to choose from.

BTW: RCI suggests attire....it's not an enforced "policy".

Thank you. I'm also fed up with being dictated to by other passengers as to what I can wear when I go to eat my dinner! As long as I'm clean and well-presented, what does it have to do with other people? I cruise because I like being on the sea and visiting other places. If other people's idea of cruising is to spend all their time dressing up and commenting on how their fellow passengers are attired, then that's up to them.

As long as I'm clean and well-presented, what does it have to do with other people? I cruise because I like being on the sea and visiting other places. If other people's idea of cruising is to spend all their time dressing up and commenting on how their fellow passengers are attired, then that's up to them.

Its always nice to enjoy a cruise.

Lanzlady is happy just to be clean and be well presented which is always nice.

In warm climates, its advisable to have a shower at least twice a day, especially when returning to the ship after a long tour. I find I am tired after a long tour. Nothing like a long refreshing shower to fell clean again.

I see where you are coming from Lanzlady.

But I also like dressing up. its nice to dress up and feel good.

Edited by PedroLeBlanc

If you were going to a fine dining restaurant then dress accordingly. If you are on vacation and dont want to wear a suit then a shirt (tie optional) slacks, fine. Jacket (optional). Your on vacation just be presentable.ImageUploadedByForums1460568772.827209.jpg.1010007f12a26494e717d7fe9a2a606e.jpgheadgear optional.

ImageUploadedByForums1460568733.141259.jpg.0b047880166c0df749266497dbd0bc63.jpg

Lol!! The only time I really ever paid attention to how someone was dressed it was because he was wearing a shirt like that on formal night, was at our table, hadn't showered, and kept snapping his fingers at the wait staff. He'd have been under dressed at McDonalds [emoji6] Come to think of it, I think that was on our one and only Carnival cruise [emoji23][emoji39][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 3happyferrets

Just a note to those who say the dress code is not enforced. That may be true on some ships but some do. I just got off Grandeur. I noticed that there were gentlemen who were asked to remove their hats and I saw a man in a sleeveless shirt turned away during lunch. Several men were turned away who were trying to enter the MDR wearing shorts during dinner. FYI only. Katherine

Nice to know that they sometimes enforce dress codes. in general do people dress up more on Oasis/Allure or about same as other ships?

Thank you. I'm also fed up with being dictated to by other passengers as to what I can wear when I go to eat my dinner! As long as I'm clean and well-presented, what does it have to do with other people? I cruise because I like being on the sea and visiting other places. If other people's idea of cruising is to spend all their time dressing up and commenting on how their fellow passengers are attired, then that's up to them.

Strange that you fail to see the irony of your comments, dictating your choice of attire on others.

There would be a good number of men dressed as you describe.

What Bob said.

My hubby carried a suit and wore it both formal nights (different shirt) and then one pair of khakis and two additional polo shirts and was fine and fit right in with the rest of the guys.

You are correct. That is the approach on Grandeur, though "experts" on the board will make an across-the-board statement about expectations. Be a shame if a reader of this thread had packed with different expectations for Grandeur.

Whatever :rolleyes: The only people that care what others wear are the select few fashion police here on Cruise Critic. Onboard, people are actually having a good time and couldnt care less what others wear. They arent hiding behind a keyboard forcing their opinions down others throats.

Royal doesnt have a dress code. They dont even enforce their prohibited list most of the time.

Now, I very much prefer wearing shorts on non-formal nights myself. But I'm perplexed by this quote and the vehemence of your other posts on this thread (of which yours are the most numerous).

"They arent hiding behind a keyboard forcing their opinions down others throats."

Then, what in God's name is what you are doing?

My husband wore his full kilt outfit on the formal nights (but then we are Scottish lol) & wore trousers & shirts - nothing fancy, just tidied up on the other nights. I enjoyed dressing up for the formal nights because tbh I don't get any other chance to wear my nice dresses. We certainly didn't judge anyone on their choice of clothes as everyone's entitled to enjoy their holiday.

So I get critiqued for making a statement end about respect and yet every RCCL cruise I have been on i sat with others that respected the evening. Sometime I even felt I was underdressed. The tables around he are always dressed up. Most kids are wearing their best.

The reality is that even on vacation you know what to expect so accept it without trying to justify excuses. Guys have it easy. A jacket and tie is just as easy to wear as anything else.

In the past ten years I have found these dress codes questions becoming predictable. Slowly it has been redefining what "it" is. It started with can I wear a dark suit instead of a Tux? Yes I see men in suits and not Tux. Next can I wear a Sport Coat and Tie? (There use to be 3 dress codes -1 Formal -2 Smart Causal "Sport Coat required" - 3 Causal "Collared Shirt & Slacks") Yes I see men in Sport Coats on Formal Night. Next was can I just wear a Shirt and Tie? Yes I have seen that in the MDR on Formal Nights. Now it has become you can wear what ever you want it is your vacation. Anyone that suggest differently is attacked for wanting to force someone to ruin their vacation.

I am sure if you look in the Dictionary what Formal wear is it is not what most are arguing for on these threads.

On the other hand what people wear today to expensive Restaurants , Church, Weddings and Funerals is not what used to be expected. It is the changing of attitudes and at the risk of being slammed respect.

"It" is what "It" is. Us old fogies have to adapt and accept the new norm.

RCI has tried to address this problem on the Quantum Class ships by introducing an exclisuve Formal Dining Room.

Shorts and a polo shirt will get you in, no issues. Don't wear flip-flops.

flip flops on formal nights are a reflection on the individual wearing them.

A post earlier in the thread, from Lanzalady, mentioned that all she wanted on formal night was to look clean and presentable.

As i explained, it is suggested to shower twice a day in warm climate, as there often are B.O. issues if not

She more than likely does not realize it herself that you might look clean and presentable, but may have body parts smelling.

Nothing as bad as being seated with someone with body smells.

Edited by PedroLeBlanc

flip flops on formal nights are a reflection on the individual wearing them.

A post earlier in the thread, from Lanzalady, mentioned that all she wanted on formal night was to look clean and presentable.

As i explained, it is suggested to shower twice a day in warm climate, as there often are B.O. issues if not

She more than likely does not realize it herself that you might look clean and presentable, but may have body parts smelling.

Nothing as bad as being seated with someone with body smells.

That's not going to happen. I would asked to be moved immediately. This whole topic is about the fabric of culture especially in America. I'm going to do what I want, period. When there are no consequences, people will not follow the rules.