Empress - Cancelling Again???

Wow, this is not good. Im booked for the May 19th sailing and wondering if I should look/book elsewhere, but then lose $. 😕

Whatever you do, don't change your existing booking. If there is a cancellation (and I have no info on this at all), you must wait for the cruise line to officially notify you in order to get any consideration.

I tried booking a Empress cruise for june on RCCL website and it kept saying page unavailable

Went to my online TA and didn't have any issues

Hopefully they arnt cancelling any other cruise dates:eek:

I am hopeful that the sailings are just fully booked since my May 14th was also listed as sold out the last two days, but today there are Suites available, and the cruises between April 30th and ours still have available cabins. It may just be they are finishing up the re-booking for all the cancelled cruises.

If they have any finishing touches to make on the Ship, they may do these on the first couple of sailings and they may want to keep the number of guests lower.

When would the expected date be for Empress to leave Freeport to be here for the first sailing?

They were originally planning on two to three days in Miami before embarkation for training, inspections, and storing, but not sure how much of that is being done in Freeport. They could theoretically leave (especially since she's not drydocked) late the night before, as its only a couple of hours transit time.

They were originally planning on two to three days in Miami before embarkation for training, inspections, and storing, but not sure how much of that is being done in Freeport. They could theoretically leave (especially since she's not drydocked) late the night before, as its only a couple of hours transit time.

Does CG need to do their inspection pre 1st cruise?

Does CG need to do their inspection pre 1st cruise?

Since the ship is not US flag, the USCG doesn't HAVE to do an inspection at any time. However, since the Empress has not been to the US in quite some time, she will go to the head of the "port state" inspection queue, where they try to schedule an inspection of every ship twice a year, but that's only a goal, and frequently not attained.

USCG and USPH will get together before the first embarkation to determine "who goes first". Generally, USCG will take precedence, particularly with a ship that they haven't seen in years, and this also gives the crew time to get the actual operational procedures of a USPH inspection in place. A large part of the USPH inspection is witnessing an actual meal service, so doing it the very first meal service on the ship would not be fair.

And just like Adonia's inspection this last weekend before her first fathom cruise, they will be doing a very thorough inspection (which Adonia failed, causing the cancellation of the first cruise).

Edited by chengkp75

I was booked on the 3/30 sailing and didn't re-book since none of the dates offered were good for all of us. Thank goodness, I don't want to go through that again. Hopefully this is a gliche but if not, good luck to everyone.

Since the ship is not US flag, the USCG doesn't HAVE to do an inspection at any time. However, since the Empress has not been to the US in quite some time, she will go to the head of the "port state" inspection queue, where they try to schedule an inspection of every ship twice a year, but that's only a goal, and frequently not attained.

USCG and USPH will get together before the first embarkation to determine "who goes first". Generally, USCG will take precedence, particularly with a ship that they haven't seen in years, and this also gives the crew time to get the actual operational procedures of a USPH inspection in place. A large part of the USPH inspection is witnessing an actual meal service, so doing it the very first meal service on the ship would not be fair.

And just like Adonia's inspection this last weekend before her first fathom cruise, they will be doing a very thorough inspection (which Adonia failed, causing the cancellation of the first cruise).

Oh Ok Thank you

Could just be a sell out situation on the April 25th and April 30th as those cruises continue to be unavailable for booking as of this moment. All others dates are available for bookings with the site I use. Might be fine or another set of cancellations about to be announced. I hope for the passengers involved and the people who are on the front lines at RCI don't have to deal with another round of last minute turmoil.

I was also on the March 30th canceled cruise with the 12 day notice:eek: now on the April 30th cruise that is still showing "Sold Out". RCI rep I rescheduled with had just found out about the cancellations when he came into work that day. No advance warning. I would be very hesitant to trust what any of the reps say.

Please, Royal Caribbean, don't do this to us again.

Diane

Hi Diane! Please read this thread about how to shorten your signatures so they don't create scrolling issues with other readers. Thanks so much!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2339199

If there is no cancellation statement by this Friday, I tend to believe the Empress will sail her first two republished routes without a possibility of cancellation a few days ahead of time as they have not cancelled cruises less than 10 days out at this point.

Still seems like a gamble to book this ship to be honest.... I am prepared for RCI to boot us off Empress on her last published sailing in July. Very strange how bookings have been accepted and denied at the last minute for this ship.

Edited by coaster

I'll be honest and think I can use some of those pills. Suppose to be on Empress right now and instead being too busy on vacation to worry about reading posts here, posts like this where folks are skeptical if they will have a ship to board has my attention. Can only hope no news is good and this ship will be in Miami after her first set of cancelled departures.

Edited by coaster

Hi Diane! Please read this thread about how to shorten your signatures so they don't create scrolling issues with other readers. Thanks so much!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2339199

Thank you for calling this to my attention & providing the thread on how to correct it. Hopefully it's fixed. If not, please let me know as my tablet does not show any signatures & my PC had shown signatures without scrolling.

Thank You,

Diane

We were cancelled on the 4-11 cruise and rebooked on the May 9th. I hope they don't cancell again, what a hassel the last time:mad: we are traveling with friends, It was suppose to be a 60th birthday cruise. a month later. Vacation changes at work. Airlines, hotels.. I hope this is not going to happen again.

I think that one of two things are at play here. Take your choice.

1. The cruises are sold out.

2. The empty cabins are being allowed to stay unbooked in order to have a "soft opening."

I suspect the soft opening is in the lead for this. That would be a good policy in light of what has happened up to this point (Fewer upset guests that way) Looking forward to actually seeing her sail.

I feel for all of you with current reservations. I had reservations on the 4-7 cruise but was unable to reschedule to something else we kept our airfare intact and just enjoyed the Florida Keys

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

That's our plan if our 4/30 sailing is cancelled. Hope it was fun!

So what exactly is a "soft opening"?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In this case, an underbooked (by design) cruise to allow the crew and shore staff (in the DR) to work out the kinks with reduced stress.

In this case, an underbooked (by design) cruise to allow the crew and shore staff (in the DR) to work out the kinks with reduced stress.

I appreciate the knowledge you have shown in the posts by you that I have read, thought maybe you had an insight (hopefully not to be shot down by the haters) on when we might expect to see Empress actually leave Freeport for Miami?

I appreciate the knowledge you have shown in the posts by you that I have read, thought maybe you had an insight (hopefully not to be shot down by the haters) on when we might expect to see Empress actually leave Freeport for Miami?

See my post #30 on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49707355&postcount=30

I believe the first cruise starts on the 25th? If so, they would most likely leave Freeport between the 22nd to midnite on the 24th, if they were to push things (at 16 knots that would be an 0600 arrival in Miami on the 25th).