FLL free shuttle to port?

cpayne

We have not sailed from FLL for several yrs. The last time we did the hotel provided a FREE shuttle to the port. In reading through reviews and my research it appears most charge now. Of course I can't recall which property in FLL we previously stayed at. Husband travels for work every wk and you can imagine hotels for us blur together.

Any suggestions? We won't be arriving until 10 p.m. the night before so truly just need a place to sleep.

Thanks.

We have not sailed from FLL for several yrs. The last time we did the hotel provided a FREE shuttle to the port. In reading through reviews and my research it appears most charge now. Of course I can't recall which property in FLL we previously stayed at. Husband travels for work every wk and you can imagine hotels for us blur together.

Any suggestions? We won't be arriving until 10 p.m. the night before so truly just need a place to sleep.

Thanks.

Springhill Suites, Dania Beach. Free airport shuttle and free shuttle to the port.

The very common recommendation on this board is to check sunny.org for FLL hotels and their amenities, including shuttles.

The hotel you used before may not offer the free shuttles, or any shuttles. Sunny.org will give you the current providers.

We are thinking about staying at the Hampton Plantation. Their website claims a free shuttle from airport and to Port Everglades. It is 30 minutes away from the action but it doesn't look like the Marina or the Embassy on 17th are waterfront (beach front) properties anyway. Seems like very busy roads to cross to get to the water. Not like the properties that line Cocoa Beach near Port Canaveral.

In Fort Lauderdale, a shuttle is a non-issue. If you stay in the 17th street area, which is the preferred pre-cruise area for many reasons, then the hotels, cruise port, and airport are all within a few miles.

For our last cruise, we used Uber to get to the port. It cost $5.83 for two people, and Uber says gratuity is included with that price. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would still take Uber or a taxi. Uber is so much more convenient. You just hop in at your leisure, you are at the port within a few minutes, and it is so cheap, it is practically free. With a shuttle, you have to go on their schedule, you wait for everybody else to load their luggage, you may stop at other hotels, and other cruise piers on the way, all the time waiting for other passengers to load and unload their luggage.

The problem is that if you limit yourself only to hotels with a free shuttle, then you may pay much more for that hotel, and it may not be as nice or convenient as a hotel without a shuttle.

Uber is a good suggestion! We've slowed down on our cruising to focus on more adventure related land travels. Now cruising only about every other year and the last cruise was from our home port of Galveston. Uber wasn't an option the last time we sailed and needed a shuttle.

We have not utilized Uber before and not particularly familiar with FLL. I searched hotels on expedia by Port Everglades, but you mentioned the 17th Street area. For a $5-10 Uber ride approx. how far from the pier do you think we could be? I know the rates on uber vary, but trying to get an approx.

Thanks.

but you mentioned the 17th Street area. For a $5-10 Uber ride approx. how far from the pier do you think we could be? I know the rates on uber vary, but trying to get an approx.

Thanks.

An approximate guess is that any trip less than 3 miles should be less than $10. And that is basically a trip to the port from ANY 17th street hotel.

Uber automatically emails a receipt for your trip (another benefit). Here is my receipt:

11:57am 1450 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL

12:07pm 3205 SE 19th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL

CAR uberX

MILES 1.57

TRIP TIME 00:10:29

FARE BREAKDOWN

Base Fare 1.00

Distance 1.49

Time 1.68

Subtotal $4.17

Safe Rides Fee (?) 1.70

CHARGED $5.87

And if you don't feel comfortable using Uber (you need to use an app on your smartphone), you can always just take a taxi.

Edited by Lou33