Port Canaveral to Universal Studios in only a half day

Bound4Bermuda

I'm considering a Royal Caribbean cruise that stops in Port Canaveral from noon to 9:30 p.m. Is that a reasonable amount of time to go to Universal Studios? Does RCI offer that as an excursion? If so, I presume it would cost more than doing it on our own, but it might be worth the assurance of not missing the boat. Thoughts and experiences? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm considering a Royal Caribbean cruise that stops in Port Canaveral from noon to 9:30 p.m. Is that a reasonable amount of time to go to Universal Studios? Does RCI offer that as an excursion? If so, I presume it would cost more than doing it on our own, but it might be worth the assurance of not missing the boat. Thoughts and experiences? Thanks!

You can use this link to see if Royal offers it as an excursion:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/asr/buildSearch.do?componentType=shorex

How late is Universal open that day?

We've done Universal on our own from PC via rental car -- off the ship before 8:00, shuttle to Avis and in a car by 8:30. In the parking garage at Universal by 9:30 and on the road back to PC about 3:45

If you rent a car all or most of the car rental offices in PC/Cocoa Beach will be closed. You'll need to drop the car off, keys through the slot, and then taxi to the port. :-(

It can be done, it can give you more park time, it can save you money, but there is some hassle and risk.

I don't have a specific date--just thinking ahead based on current Athem itineraries, as they only seem to have a few routes. In 2 years, my kids will be graduating college, high school, and elementary school, and we live in NJ, so I thought it would be a fun way to celebrate. But, yikes, at $39 for the bus and $155 for the park--not even taking into account taxes and food, etc--that would be a $1,000 excursion for a family of 5! If it was closer to port or we docked first thing in the morning, that would be one thing, but it just doesn't seem worth it to not even get into the park until 2 pm or so! Each ride would cost like $200 at that rate!

your math is correct, a two park ticket - which you need if you want the full Harry Potter experience) plus a meal and a snack is $200 per person not including transportation ....

OUCH

(they've become more expensive than Disney!)

You CAN get the transportation cost down - a private car for 5 can be had for less than {$39 x 5 =} $195 ..... but it is still $200 pp inside the gate

that noon arrival time is kinda the rock in the shoe for you ... even KSC is a bummer and not cost effective as you only have a few hours ... less than half the normal ticket time - since KSC usually closes at 6

Edited by Capt_BJ

Yeah, I was thinking that cruise itinerary specifically to go to Universal. My oldest is a huge Harry Potter fan, so I figure one last family hurrah before she goes off into the real world as an adult. If it was ALL day, I would do it, but, yikes, hard to justify a half day at that cost.

Yeah, I was thinking that cruise itinerary specifically to go to Universal. My oldest is a huge Harry Potter fan, so I figure one last family hurrah before she goes off into the real world as an adult. If it was ALL day, I would do it, but, yikes, hard to justify a half day at that cost.

I agree.( It's almost hard to justify a whole day at the price. ):)

your math is correct, a two park ticket - which you need if you want the full Harry Potter experience) plus a meal and a snack is $200 per person not including transportation ....

OUCH

(they've become more expensive than Disney!)

Not exactly more than Disney. A park-hopper at Disney is $155-$164, a two park at Universal is $155, so at the worst, it is a tie and could be cheaper.

here's my math - and I just went thru this when buying tickets for some visiting family ...

Most folks who opt for Universal want Harry Potter land, and for the full HP experience you need the two park ticket.

For most folks, going to Disney a one park one day ticket is sufficient as there isn't a "need" to park hop .... and a one day one park ticket is less and varies by Disney Park and possibly day of the week under the current price structure. Today a ticket to MK was $110 and the other Disney land parks $102 . . .

I was encouraging my visitors to do UNII for the HP stuff and that would have been $155 per person. They opted for the 'classic', Magic Kingdom which was less. Had they chosen Studios it would have been less yet . . . park hopping a Disney for a quick day is not a good idea IMO. The parks are too far spread and you waste time hopping.

At UNI on the other hand .... well I wonder when they are just gonna drop the 'two parks' thing entirely. HP land would seem to make that an obvious move. Make it like Magic Kindom with "lands" or areas, but under one ticket/one park

my two cents

Edited by Capt_BJ

here's my math - and I just went thru this when buying tickets for some visiting family ...

Most folks who opt for Universal want Harry Potter land, and for the full HP experience you need the two park ticket.

For most folks, going to Disney a one park one day ticket is sufficient as there isn't a "need" to park hop .... and a one day one park ticket is less and varies by Disney Park and possibly day of the week under the current price structure. Today a ticket to MK was $110 and the other Disney land parks $102 . . .

I was encouraging my visitors to do UNII for the HP stuff and that would have been $155 per person. They opted for the 'classic', Magic Kingdom which was less. Had they chosen Studios it would have been less yet . . . park hopping a Disney for a quick day is not a good idea IMO. The parks are too far spread and you waste time hopping.

At UNI on the other hand .... well I wonder when they are just gonna drop the 'two parks' thing entirely. HP land would seem to make that an obvious move. Make it like Magic Kindom with "lands" or areas, but under one ticket/one park

my two cents

You're correct. I was just saying that if you want to do TWO parks at either place the ticket price is the same. Not everyone who goes to Universal want's to do HP, albeit a few.

DH & I are huge Harry Potter fans and spent 4 days at Universal last fall - had passes for both parks - both were fantastic and the Hogworts Express is brilliant. We are planning to go back next year as 4 days was not enough to take in all we wanted to see.

Aside from expensive, I think just a few hours would be more frustrating than enjoyable because you would have to be so selective in what you could do. The Express Pass is not accepted for the most popular HP rides and the wait times can be significant.

This website was very helpful when we were doing our planning:

https://touringplans.com/universal-orlando

The two parks are very different. At Hogsmeade you walk around outside where there are many shops, rides and outdoor performance areas making up the village - at Diagon Alley you are in a very large building with all the shops, etc. under one roof. Both are wonderful experiences that take hours to absorb.

Best of luck in making your decision and enjoy your cruise.

What day are you going? I think it really depends on the time of year and day of the week. If its during the slow season on a weekday, you can get everything done a few times by the end of the day and definitely have a blast