Zika question for recent cruisers

My family, (wife, soon to be 6 month old, and me) will be doing Allure soon and I wanted to get a feel for what, if any, RCI is doing about this in port or at sea near ports? Also, I wanted to ask what any recent passengers have done (stayed on the ship, used bug spray, wore long sleeves in port, etc.) to deal with the issue. Did anyone go as far as to avoid the pool while in port in Labadee?

I'm far from paranoid about any of this but I want to be prudent and responsible. We are seasoned cruisers (D+ on RCI) and while we love going into ports we don't care that much just staying on the ship because of Zika. We just want to be at sea on Allure (and two sets of grandparents will be on board so we will have lots of help with our little bundle of joy). We are planning on more children in the near future so while a low risk, the negative outcome is enormous so we don't want to stop cruising but want to be cautious. Because of our recent daughter we haven't been able to cruise in over a year and we are chomping at the bit to be at sea again.

I would love to hear from any other people in a similar scenario (or any scenario) as to what they did to protect themselves during port days in infected areas? I haven't been able to find anything practical for guidance so perhaps a thread like this could help.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

My family, (wife, soon to be 6 month old, and me) will be doing Allure soon and I wanted to get a feel for what, if any, RCI is doing about this in port or at sea near ports? Also, I wanted to ask what any recent passengers have done (stayed on the ship, used bug spray, wore long sleeves in port, etc.) to deal with the issue. Did anyone go as far as to avoid the pool while in port in Labadee?

I'm far from paranoid about any of this but I want to be prudent and responsible. We are seasoned cruisers (D+ on RCI) and while we love going into ports we don't care that much just staying on the ship because of Zika. We just want to be at sea on Allure (and two sets of grandparents will be on board so we will have lots of help with our little bundle of joy). We are planning on more children in the near future so while a low risk, the negative outcome is enormous so we don't want to stop cruising but want to be cautious. Because of our recent daughter we haven't been able to cruise in over a year and we are chomping at the bit to be at sea again.

I would love to hear from any other people in a similar scenario (or any scenario) as to what they did to protect themselves during port days in infected areas? I haven't been able to find anything practical for guidance so perhaps a thread like this could help.

Not sure what you want Royal to do. Unless you are going on a rain forest excursion somewhere, you are not likely to see mosquitos. They are not near the port in day time

Not sure what you want Royal to do. Unless you are going on a rain forest excursion somewhere, you are not likely to see mosquitos. They are not near the port in day time

Well, I wasn't saying I expected them to do anything. I was simply wondering if they are doing anything at all. I really don't remember mosquitos in port but I never worried whether it would impact my wife and I having another child in the near future.

The consequences of contracting zika virus are potentially dire for any women (or man since they can pass it on to their wife) that even want to have kids in the near future. Are the odds very low that you would get bit by such a bug, yes, but we're not just talking about a few days of illness and it only takes one bite. The outcomes still aren't know for sure and it could mean years of waiting to have a child or worst yet children born with a terrible affliction (which would otherwise not have happened). That is a large part of RCI customer base so it is reasonable to wonder if they might be doing anything on board (mosquito deterrents on the top decks, making spray readily available, etc.). If a cruise passengers gets this virus and subsequently has a child born suffering from the associated diseases can you imagine what will happen to bookings, their bottom line, and their stock price. So even if they don't care they have a financial interest to do whatever they can to increase safety for passengers.

So basically, since it has been a year since I've cruised I'm wondering if they even mention it or do anything.

Edited by topnole

I am going to the Caribbean next week on a cruise and have looked at the CDC web page on Zika. It appears there is outbreaks in all the Caribbean Islands but just as troubling there has been multiple outbreaks in Florida as well.

I am going to take prudent precautions the CDC recommends and not be overly concerned.

Shak

I am going to the Caribbean next week on a cruise and have looked at the CDC web page on Zika. It appears there is outbreaks in all the Caribbean Islands but just as troubling there has been multiple outbreaks in Florida as well.

I am going to take prudent precautions the CDC recommends and not be overly concerned.

Shak

There are no outbreaks in Florida or any other states in the US. All cases within the US are people that traveled to an affected area or had relations with someone that traveled. There are no locally transmitted cases. False information only causes unnecessary fear.

The CDC has all current information on their website and is the best place to check for updates.

I did just read that they recommend no unprotected contact for at least two months after travel to an affected area to reduce the risk of transmission to your partner.

Just a clarification to all.

I'm not trying to start a debate, a discussion of where the virus is, whether people are worried or should be cruising, etc.

I'm really just trying to get a feel from recent cruisers if they did anything beyond normal given zika and if RCI is doing anything on the ships. Like I said in my original post, it has been a year for us since being on a ship and we are curious if it is even something they discuss or is just business as usual and no one even gives a thought to it on board.

I think we all know it is in the Caribbean in general and potentially in some US states even if that isn't official yet (as obviously scientific knowledge lags actual conditions).

Obviously, we aren't paranoid or we wouldn't cruise. Just curious what the vibe and reactions of passengers have been since all of this has been in the media so much lately. I think for anyone who loves cruising, has children and wants more this is a reasonable thing to want to hear about.

Thanks again for any feedback. I do believe a thread such as this including responses from recent cruisers could be useful for many future passengers.

Just a clarification to all.

I'm not trying to start a debate, a discussion of where the virus is, whether people are worried or should be cruising, etc.

I'm really just trying to get a feel from recent cruisers if they did anything beyond normal given zika and if RCI is doing anything on the ships. Like I said in my original post, it has been a year for us since being on a ship and we are curious if it is even something they discuss or is just business as usual and no one even gives a thought to it on board.

I think we all know it is in the Caribbean in general and potentially in some US states even if that isn't official yet (as obviously scientific knowledge lags actual conditions).

Obviously, we aren't paranoid or we wouldn't cruise. Just curious what the vibe and reactions of passengers have been since all of this has been in the media so much lately. I think for anyone who loves cruising, has children and wants more this is a reasonable thing to want to hear about.

Thanks again for any feedback. I do believe a thread such as this including responses from recent cruisers could be useful for many future passengers.

I think the only thing they are doing is offering refunds or itinerary changes for women that provide proof that they are currently pregnant.

If I was someone who wasn't currently pregnant or not planning on trying within a few months of travel I wouldn't even worry about it. If you plan on any excursions that go into woodsy areas take bug spray with deet.

Now if I was planning on trying in the very near future I wouldn't risk it.

As far as it being in the US, mosquitos are currently not carriers because it isn't the right time of year. Is there potential once the warmer wet time of year starts? Of course. But implying that it is already here is irresponsible and fearmongering.

Here is RCI's latest information about ZIKA...

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty. Guests seeking additional information on the Zika virus are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or visit the CDC's website.

1. Contact your Primary Care Physician

2. Visit the CDC's Website

Then make your decision about your Cruise.

A couple of years ago on Azamara Quest they requested passengers to go to a spray area set up on an outside deck before arriving in St. Martin. Chikungunya virus was prevalent in the area.

I don't think it was mandatory of course, but they thought it was serious enough to spray everyone before leaving the ship.

RCCL may advise passengers but I can't imagine spraying 6,000 of them at each port.

Off Vision out of Tampa beginniong of March and went to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel and had no problems. Did go on excursios at all the ports even going to the Tulum Mayan Ruins in Cozumel and no Mosquitos. We did take Off Deep Woods Sportsman 30% Deet with us just in case as we were concerned before the cruise but there was no need for it during our Excursions. Just go prepared and enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Allure last week and They sent us an email about the virus a few days before the cruise and i think we had a flyer in our room.I wouldn't worry about it while in port during the day or on the ship.

Shak

Wrong. There have been no reported cases of Zika being contracted in the USA. Those that do have it in this country caught it elsewhere

Wrong. There have been no reported cases of Zika being contracted in the USA. Those that do have it in this country caught it elsewhere

You are right I should have said that there were no know cases of Zita caused by a mosquito but there are plenty of cases of Zika in Florida. In fact Florida leads the country in Zita cases. Florida, Texas, and Hawaii appear to have climate prime for Zita outbreak because the climate is ripe for the mosquitoes that carry the virus. .

All you have to do is search Zika Florida news and you can find numerous articles about this virus. Here are a few:

http://www.news-press.com/story/opinion/2016/04/13/monkey-farms-natural-zika-hosts/82984426/

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/two-new-zika-virus-cases-give-florida-us-leading-8/nq5fg/

http://www.seeker.com/us-officials-shift-response-to-zika-virus-1727056228.html

My point was not to cause a controversy over Zita but to state I will not change my plans due to the outbreak of this virus and just take precautions necessary to reduce your chances of contact.

Shak

I would use DEET-based mosquito repellent, if you're doing any excursions that take you into rural or "jungle" type areas, just to avoid mosquito bites. Zika makes the news lately, but there are other mosquito-borne illnesses that are endemic to some of the Caribbean areas, so it's a good precaution, if you expect to be in areas where mosquitoes are likely to be.

It's highly unlikely to encounter mosquitoes on the ship itself, and not very likely in the immediate port areas, either.

You are right I should have said that there were no know cases of Zita caused by a mosquito but there are plenty of cases of Zika in Florida. In fact Florida leads the country in Zita cases. Florida, Texas, and Hawaii appear to have climate prime for Zita outbreak because the climate is ripe for the mosquitoes that carry the virus. .

All you have to do is search Zika Florida news and you can find numerous articles about this virus. Here are a few:

http://www.news-press.com/story/opinion/2016/04/13/monkey-farms-natural-zika-hosts/82984426/

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/two-new-zika-virus-cases-give-florida-us-leading-8/nq5fg/

http://www.seeker.com/us-officials-shift-response-to-zika-virus-1727056228.html

My point was not to cause a controversy over Zita but to state I will not change my plans due to the outbreak of this virus and just take precautions necessary to reduce your chances of contact.

Shak

I don't get the point. No one is disputing there are people within Florida that have the virus. 41 states currently have at least one person that was infected from traveling to one of the affected countries.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

We cruised last week on Freedom. We went to St. Thomas. I purchased 98% Deet repellent before we left. Then I forgot to spray everyone when we got to Magen's Beach! I did not see one mosquito the whole time. I'm not of childbearing age anymore, so wasn't concerned about that. There was a young lady there though who was absolutely covered in bug bites. She had more bites showing on her body than skin! It was horrible to look at. She must have been in areas of the island that have mosquitos, or out at night or something. It was nasty. And she was in her 20's- apparently not concerned enough to use repellent- I don't see how she could have with all the bites on her.

As far as RCCL saying anything, I got a text 3 days before departure with a warning for pregnant women. I don't remember hearing anything onboard. There might have been something in the Compass but I don't remember.

PCJMOM

We just got off the Vision. Both my daughters were bit by mosquitoes. They were sprayed with deet, pretty heavy, but still my one daughter had many bites. From what I read, the mosquitos that carry the virus thrive during the day. Not the typical mosquito. I also sprayed my cabin and balcony door curtains, but while in port a few did get in.

Use a repellent with Deet, if you're concerned. During the daytime, and at salt water areas, mosquitoes are not generally active, or a problem. They like stagnant, fresh water. They do NOT breed in salt water.

Bad information as always.

The mosquitos that carry the zika virus are not like other mosquitos. They generally live and breed around populated areas and are active during the day.

We went through this 2 weeks ago on the Allure, in January on Anthem, and last February on Royal Princess. Each time, I wore DEET repellant. We are talking St. Maarten X3, St. Thomas X2, Labadee, San Juan, Martinique, St. Kitts, Barbados, and Nassau. Driving tours. Boat tours. Walking around. Beaches.

I can truthfully say, I never saw a single mosquito.

You will probably be just fine, as long as you take the needed precautions. What it comes down to is what YOU are comfortable with.

Have a great trip!

We just got off the Vision. Both my daughters were bit by mosquitoes. They were sprayed with deet, pretty heavy, but still my one daughter had many bites. From what I read, the mosquitos that carry the virus thrive during the day. Not the typical mosquito. I also sprayed my cabin and balcony door curtains, but while in port a few did get in.

what port?

Use a repellent with Deet, if you're concerned. During the daytime, and at salt water areas, mosquitoes are not generally active, or a problem. They like stagnant, fresh water. They do NOT breed in salt water.

Incorrect!

Aedes mosquitoes are daytime feeders. They breed in just about any body of water, but usually flower pots, backyard puddles, water pitchers, etc. The species of most concern live in and around people. The most common vector prefers human hosts; the secondary vector feeds on multiple warm blooded animals.

Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (the primary vectors) larvae generally do not survive in salt water; other Aedes species do.

The Anopholes mosquitoes that spread malaria, and the more common Culex mosquitoes tend to be nighttime feeders.

In late March our ship had just docked at St Maartin about 7:00AM. I was still in my jammies and opened my balcony door to see the sights. I was immediately bitten on the neck by a mosquito!

Furthermore, I never saw the mosquito. Many folks here say they never saw a mosquito in Caribbean ports. I never saw the mosquito that bit me in the Philippines and gave me Dengue fever. Chances are good you won't see the mosquito that bites you either.

Fortunately I don't appear to have gotten either Zika or Chikungunya from the bite in St Maartin.

On our two week cruise it didn't appear to me that passengers were taking strict precautions when they left the ship for tours such as wearing long sleeves and long pants. For one thing it was just too hot. I do hope they wore bug spray.

We do have many cases of ZIka in Florida. All are from people who traveled to the Caribbean even for short trips such as a local woman who merely attended her father's funeral. If such travelers can get it, why can't cruise ship passengers get it too? Just asking.

If you travel or cruise to the Caribbean, take precautions. Better to be safe than sorry.