Liberty of Seas/Galveston

For people who have sailed out of Galveston. Going on the May 29th cruise.

- Is there a particular parking lot that you like better than others?

- If you had to be in Houston by 1 pm would you do the self carry off (or whatever it is called). We wouldn't have any issue carry our bags.

Thanks for any replies and information.

- If you had to be in Houston by 1 pm would you do the self carry off (or whatever it is called). We wouldn't have any issue carry our bags.

Welcome to CC

We use Galveston parkncruise

Yes self-carry works great and 1pm is easily doable unless there is sometime of ship delay

Here is another area of CC dedicated to those cruising out of the gulf

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

We found that at debarkation those with a porter for their luggage were cleared from customs faster than those that carried their own luggage.

I also experience the Cruise Director helping out his "favorite guests" from the self debarkation to the front of the porter line.

we used Lighthouse. prepaid online and got a discount. while the lot is not paved and has potholes galore( ever so much fun when it's pouring rain) it's extremely close and they are friendly and efficient

our last time there we were delayed getting off do to high winds preventing them for being able to secure the gangway. we were in a suite so first off after self disembark. we were in our car by10 and that included an hour long line to get through Customs. it took 45 minutes to get off the island and across the bridge. we then headed to San Antonio( home at the time) so cannot comment on traffic to either airport

We use EZ Cruise. We have used Lighthouse and DCP in the past but EZ is the cheapest and quickest for us. I have some promo codes if you are interested.

Which airport are you flying out of? IAH or Hobby? If you are flying out of Hobby, 1:00PM is fine if you are doing either self assist or general debark. If you are flying out of IAH, I would do self assist.

We sail out of Galveston a lot and have settled on Lighthouse Parking for the safety of having covered parking. I think we pay $65.00 online in advance which is competitive. Shuttle service has been friendly and quick.

Regarding the need for self-disembarkation...consider your itinerary and airport. There are report of long delays clearing US Customs on sailings with Belize as one of the ports of call. Hobby airport is closest to Galveston with Bush about 30 minutes farther and more prone to traffic delays. So, if you are on the Belize itinerary and flying out of Bush, yes, I would definitely self-disembark.

In January we did Carnival Magic into Galveston. We parked at Galveston Park & Cruise (inside), which is just across the street. We did self assist as my brother had a 12:30 flight from Hobby and we were dropping him off.

We were first off based on our deck location. We were called at 7:45 AM to disembark. We walked across the street, loaded, and were on the road by 8:20 AM. No traffic to Hobby on a Sunday so we were there in 45 minutes.

I would recommend self assist and a parking lot where you don't need a shuttle. There was another one right next to Park & Cruise. I think it was VIP parking. Anything at Haborside & 25th will be good to walk to.

We use EZ Cruise. We have used Lighthouse and DCP in the past but EZ is the cheapest and quickest for us. I have some promo codes if you are interested.

Which airport are you flying out of? IAH or Hobby? If you are flying out of Hobby, 1:00PM is fine if you are doing either self assist or general debark. If you are flying out of IAH, I would do self assist.

Thanks for all of the information. I think EZ Cruise is it. Cruise Fanatic - yes always interested in a promo.

Thanks

I know you got your question answered but for anyone's reference....

I did discount cruise parking. We also carried our bags off. We were off the boat by 7:30, in the car by 7:50. If you do discount, you need to carry off or else you will be waiting forever for a shuttle. Probably would just spend the extra $15 next time and park closer.

I love taking the Liberty out of Galveston, what a great route and ship! Being from Dallas, its nice to to be forced to pay for flights.

Edited by atnolan94

Please send promo code. Would be nice for my July cruise.

Edited by mrb1963

For EZ Cruise Parking, the code "2016" takes $15 off. But the Park 'N Walk option takes $20 off for a 7+ nighter. So, I guess it depends if the shuttle is worth $5 to you.

"Shuttle leaves every thirty minute or when full", if you are OK with that. If nobody has mobility issues or doesn't mind walking, you could save the $5 and get to the port entrance even faster than the shuttle.

The driver in the travel group can drop off their passengers with the luggage while going to park the vehicle at EZ Cruise, and then can walk back to rejoin the group. This is what I plan to do in November.

We did a self disembark last year on Navigator on the Jamaica route and were on an RCI Bush airport shuttle that left before 9. Note that we specifically did self, not with the shuttle group. We were gone before the shuttle groups got off the ship. If you saw all the luggage falling off the carts in Galveston you would not want to have them handle your bags. Our shuttle was pretty full, so lots of others did the same thing.

Previous week (Belize route) the self disembark line was all the way back onto the ship and it took 1 1/2 hours to get through. And getting back on was slower as well.

For EZ Cruise Parking, the code "2016" takes $15 off. But the Park 'N Walk option takes $20 off for a 7+ nighter. So, I guess it depends if the shuttle is worth $5 to you.

"Shuttle leaves every thirty minute or when full", if you are OK with that. If nobody has mobility issues or doesn't mind walking, you could save the $5 and get to the port entrance even faster than the shuttle.

The driver in the travel group can drop off their passengers with the luggage while going to park the vehicle at EZ Cruise, and then can walk back to rejoin the group. This is what I plan to do in November.

We have been using EZ Cruise parking since they first opened. We never had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle to leave. They always put everyone on who was there and left the lot with another shuttle bus lined up right behind to get the next group. Sometimes the shuttle has been full, but other times there have only been a couple of people on it. They want to get over to the pier as quickly as possible to pick up the debarking passengers. Also, never had to wait more than a couple minutes when debarking for the shuttle back to the lot. They have several shuttle buses of various sizes constantly circulating between the lot and the pier.

We have been using EZ Cruise parking since they first opened. We never had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle to leave. They always put everyone on who was there and left the lot with another shuttle bus lined up right behind to get the next group. Sometimes the shuttle has been full, but other times there have only been a couple of people on it. They want to get over to the pier as quickly as possible to pick up the debarking passengers. Also, never had to wait more than a couple minutes when debarking for the shuttle back to the lot. They have several shuttle buses of various sizes constantly circulating between the lot and the pier.

I was quoting from EZ Cruise's web site regarding the leaving at 30-minute intervals/when full condition. I don't think they would include that language on their site if they always intend for the shuttle to leave immediately. Maybe they don't always wait up to 30 minutes in practice, but I have seen reports (complaints) of people who had encountered this (Gulf Coast Departures forum on CC and other online reviews).

I wanted to mention it so people were aware of the fine print, because it is a change in their past practice based on what some have said (in that they never used to have that clause in their fine print). Anyway, it's a short walk and I have no mobility issues for the time being, so the shuttle adds no meaningful value to me regardless of when it leaves.

Can anyone speak to parking across the bridge and walking vs parking off the island and taking the shuttle? I guess either way you are getting stuck in traffic.

We are driving in from Austin and would prefer covered parking. Just trying to figure out quickest way on/off.

We will be cruising the same day but on the Carnival Breeze. We like to use Lighthouse Cruise parking.

Can anyone speak to parking across the bridge and walking vs parking off the island and taking the shuttle? I guess either way you are getting stuck in traffic.

We are driving in from Austin and would prefer covered parking. Just trying to figure out quickest way on/off.

Parking across the bridge and walking??? I'm guessing you're talking about the bridge that connects Galveston island with the mainland. You do realize that that's about a 10 mile walk, don't you?

We just got back and used Galveston Park N Cruise. We parked and all walked our luggage across the street and down one terminal. Super easy. Also super easy leaving. No waiting for shuttles or someone running to get the car, etc. It's right there.

That has been our experience as well. We've used EZ 12 times over the years, and we've always left quickly. We've never had more than a 5 minute wait for a shuttle or for a shuttle to leave. But...it's been about 18 months since we cruised out of Galveston and I think some 'stuff' has happened locally in the meantime. On our last cruise from Galveston, the EZ Cruise driver told us that the Port Authority planned to start implementing a $$20-30 charge PER SHUTTLE (like a toll) which had to be paid for EACH shuttle that entered the port. (Previously the off-site parking companies may have just paid a nominal monthly fee for drop-off/pick-up privileges for their shuttles. They all did pay something for the privileges, but not on a per-shuttle basis.) So, now I am looking at our May Liberty cruise, need to make a parking reservation, and I see that the prices have gone up a little (like $5) since the last time.

Maybe somebody here has more or better info than I do!:o I think EZ is trying to keep their prices as low as they can, but they now have additional expenses in terms of what they have to pay the Port. Hence the statement about every 30 min. and filling the shuttle. We've always found their services to be fast and top notch and all the folks we dealt with were competent, efficient, accurate, and personable.

Also...on two occasions my DH dropped 3 of us off with all our luggage and proceeded to EZ Cruise to park. We set up 'camp' with people and luggage clustered outside the terminal to wait for him. Once it took 10 minutes, and once it took about 15 minutes. Works well!

Judy

We always use EZ Cruise and have never had a problem. If you don't want you car in the elements, they can provide a car cover for I think $10. We live about an hour away from the port and we always do self-assist just to get to the car and get home faster.

We have used EZ Cruising Parking dot com for over 50 times. Check out their web site it has all the discounts quoted and coupons to apply. Besides being very efficient, their lot is at the highest elevation on the port side. Have seen too many times where other lots have been under water.

We opt for the Park n walk at $47+tax for 7 days. Drop luggage off at pier, driver proceeds to EZ Cruise, parks and walks back to port. On debarkation we both wheel the luggage back to the car - who doesn't need some exercise after a cruise!! I'd say it is about 3 blocks from terminal. You need to turn left outside RCCL terminal, take sidewalk down to front of Carnival pier and use pedestrian walkway to cross Harborside, there has always been a police officer at this point directing traffic. Walk past the Railroad Museum, turn right and EZ is a block and a half on your left.

Carla

We found that at debarkation those with a porter for their luggage were cleared from customs faster than those that carried their own luggage.

I also experience the Cruise Director helping out his "favorite guests" from the self debarkation to the front of the porter line.

We've seen that using a porter can speed things along, also. But we just got off Liberty yesterday and the line to get a porter was pretty long. We opted to just haul our own bags this time. I think we exited the terminal at about the same time as the folks who were in the porter line where we would have been. We were in a later group leaving the ship (probably because we were driving rater than flying home) and exited the terminal right at noon. I think there were also medical issues that slowed disembarkation.

Tim