Drink or Drunk Package

Personally for me ever since we made Diamond I don't find it is worth to buy a bvg pkg

I might have a DOD or some frozen concoction during the day but that isn't that often

My GF favorite is Grey Goose but she sure likes a Chocolatini with whatever vodka they have in the lounge

The package I am looking at excludes coffee and OJ but I am thinking its still a good deal, Her indoors (minder) will take the top package as she likes coffee and tea

Coffee is complementary.

Speciality coffee is not and requires the ultimate package.

Starbucks is not included in any package.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We are new to CC but have cruised a bit, we have never paid for the drink/drunk package but we have had it included in our cruise fare before.

We are sailing on the IOS transatlantic this May and we are thinking should buy the package, We can access the CL along with the 3 x FOC drinks each night at many of the bars BUT I like Coors Lite and the good lady likes Grey Goose Vodka.

Should we go for the drinks package which has 20% off for our cruise?

Depends on how many drinks you get a day, 5 or 6 then I would get it less than no. I am with you we do suites and also are diamond but we prefer things not offered there.

So I put it in perspective, (your mileage may vary) I am usually on deck by 9:00 AM. Between 9 and noon (3-4 Bloody Mary), still on deck until 3:30 - 4:00 (with 3 - 4 beers). We are at just one drink an hour if my math is correct.

Then a before dinner drink in cabin while getting ready for dinner. Then maybe a stop at a bar for a cocktail before heading to dinner or waiting for our table. Then a glass or two of wine with dinner. Not factoring in the 20% discount if you purchase a full bottle. Then an after dinner cocktail or two while watching a show or walking around deck.

See it adds up by the end of the day, especially on non-port days. I am not counting the water, coffee, and juice.

However, I will have to evaluate the drink cards for DW as she usually tapers off mid-week and doesn't drink as much as I do.

Edited by jamesr3939

Hardly. Two drinks an hour over the course of a 10 hour day and you'd be under the legal limit.

"Legal Limit", I am not driving the boat so who cares? BTW: rule of thumb is one drink and hour to stay under the legal limit to drive.

Edited by jamesr3939

Where do you find the "drink cards?" I just looked at my planner and can only find the packages.

It's something new that they seem to be test-marketing. You can't buy them in advance, and they generally only start selling them toward the second half of a cruise, if at all. If they sell them on your sailing, you'll see it advertised in the bars.

If you really only want Coors, why don't you just get the Select package (beer and wine only) and have your wife get the Premium (spirits)? That'll save you quite a bit.

For the record, my husband and I both have premium package coming up. With the 20% off it was $650ish....our tab at the end of previous cruises prior to packages was usually around $1700 [emoji15] It's a no brainer for us lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by KG1924

Get the drink package. All those who say their C&A drinks are all they need are only between certain hours. Outside of that you need to pay, and at RCI current prices that's a lot IMHO. Ignore those who say your liver won't survive. They forget these packages include water, soda etc so just because you have a package that includes alcoholic beverages, doesn't mean you're drinking alcohol all day long.

I'm D+ so I get 3 hours of free alcoholic beverages per night, but only between very restrictive hours IMHO and in a specific lounge. Outside the lounge I get 3 free beverages from a limited menu. I don't take an alcoholic beverage in the evening before 7:30 pm and so our last sailing that meant I had 30 minutes of the cocktail hour left as it ended at 8pm. There are no wine & dine packages offered anymore (maybe on some ships) which we used to purchase either. So those 'free cocktails' were of little benefit to me, so I purchased the premium package. Way to go RCI, you even get your loyal cruisers to purchase a package.

We are new to CC but have cruised a bit, we have never paid for the drink/drunk package but we have had it included in our cruise fare before.

We are sailing on the IOS transatlantic this May and we are thinking should buy the package, We can access the CL along with the 3 x FOC drinks each night at many of the bars BUT I like Coors Lite and the good lady likes Grey Goose Vodka.

Should we go for the drinks package which has 20% off for our cruise?

If you drink strictly Coors Light, the Select package (covers beer and wine by the glass) is probably best for you, depending on how many you drink each day. Your good lady is in Premium package territory, depending on how many Grey Goose drinks she has.

I love TA's! I'm not a port person, but I love my Sea Days! I normally buy a drink package because you know your costs before you cruise! RCI does not offer free drink

packages on TA's, so buy and enjoy!

I love TA's! I'm not a port person, but I love my Sea Days! I normally buy a drink package because you know your costs before you cruise! RCI does not offer free drink

packages on TA's, so buy and enjoy!

Oh how I wish for the good old days. [emoji851]We did a TA with RCI two years ago, $800 per person for balcony INCL. Premium Liquor Package. Only benefit we got from the recession.

I think this can be compared to a land based "all inclusive" resort. Our daily cost at a, supposedly" 5 star resort was about $285 a day. By comparison our last transatlantic, with the Ultimate package computed to about $173 a day. If you pay the rack prices for a cruise you can, probably, come close to the cost of an all inclusive resort.

Here's the difference from my experience. The all inclusive resort we stayed at had all the "free" drinks but they were disgusting to taste and were incredibly watered down. Our last cruise we bought the ultimate package and every drink was made correctly and, not at all, watered down.

My take on this while package deal is that I can pay for it, up front, and not worry about my high drink bill on my account when it is presented. To me it is one less thing to worry about when the bill comes. This package is, clearly, not for teetotalers. If you enjoy your drinks when on vacation knowing you don't have to drive, it's a good deal. I don't think I drink to much, but it makes sense to me.

I think that answers his question, and makes it 'the drunk package'.

It would be for me, at least! :p

Do it.

Package also included starbucks coffee, bottled water and fresh squeeze orange juice when we went. Find a bartender, give them $20 at the beginning of the cruise and they will take good care of you. Drink, drunk, whatever... it's your vacation.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Premium, that the OP said he's being offered, doesn't include espresso drinks or fresh OJ.

Select is beer, wine, and soda.

Even if he got the Ultimate, though, "Starbucks" from a branded Starbucks is never included in the packages. So far that's only a factor on Oasis and Allure (and maybe Quantum?).

But on any ship there will be an UNbranded espresso kiosk, and the espresso drinks there (which might very well be Starbucks) are included in Replenish and Ultimate.

If you drink strictly Coors Light, the Select package (covers beer and wine by the glass) is probably best for you, depending on how many you drink each day. Your good lady is in Premium package territory, depending on how many Grey Goose drinks she has.

I don't only drink beer, the 20% offer that's on just now brings the premium package down to the same price as the select package (no discount on offer for the select package)

Oh how I wish for the good old days. [emoji851]We did a TA with RCI two years ago, $800 per person for balcony INCL. Premium Liquor Package. Only benefit we got from the recession.

We have the Harmony TA booked for this Oct that included the premium package and free Tips all that in a D4 cabin for £850 each after C&A discount.

When did you book this cruise?

a D4 is currently showing £5000 for two

select drinks no grats on UK site

We looked at doing this , but it was always very highly priced

I'd would have booked the package you secured. instead booked Navigator

When did you book this cruise?

a D4 is currently showing £5000 for two

select drinks no grats on UK site

We looked at doing this , but it was always very highly priced

I'd would have booked the package you secured. instead booked Navigator

We booked it when the booking opened I think it was April 2015, The deal was available on all transatlantics for this year.

I have been watching the prices on the Harmony and they have went sky high

Another upside to the drink packages is the thinning of the DL. We had the package on our last Celebrity cruise and never went to the nightly cocktail hour. I'm sure the same happens on Royal. On our next Freedom cruise we'll buy the package but unless there's a discount for the upcoming Allure, we probably won't because we'll have access to the SL.

Coffee is complementary.

Speciality coffee is not and requires the ultimate package.

Starbucks is not included in any package.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It would be for me, at least! :p

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Premium, that the OP said he's being offered, doesn't include espresso drinks or fresh OJ.

Select is beer, wine, and soda.

Even if he got the Ultimate, though, "Starbucks" from a branded Starbucks is never included in the packages. So far that's only a factor on Oasis and Allure (and maybe Quantum?).

But on any ship there will be an UNbranded espresso kiosk, and the espresso drinks there (which might very well be Starbucks) are included in Replenish and Ultimate.

Yes, it was the ultimate - didn't realize it was a specific package he was after until he responded but it appears his better half may enjoy the ultimate.

It included starbucks, and it was on the Liberty - they had a starbucks station. Something to look into for the OP if they'd like depending on their trip and availability, that's all.

Edited by Stags14

Only you can determine whether or not you'll get the benefit from it.

It's not difficult to do when you figure perhaps a drink with breakfast, a few beers and/or frozen cocktails with lunch, pre-dinner drinks, wine with dinner, drinks at the show, drinks after dinner.

A drink with breakfast? :eek:

Drink packages must cause some awful headaches for cruise ships at times. One thing I noticed on our last cruise on the NCL Getaway was that there were a lot more drunks around on that ship than I have ever seen on any ship. By 4PM on departure day from Miami, the pool area (terribly small and crowded anyway - RCL knows how to do pool decks baby) resembled a college pool party - loud music banging out and people already half in the bag and we hadn't even left Miami yet!

I have a few drinks each week on a ship but I never have enough to buy a package but as more and more people do buy packages the problems are bound to intensify.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I think this can be compared to a land based "all inclusive" resort. Our daily cost at a, supposedly" 5 star resort was about $285 a day. By comparison our last transatlantic, with the Ultimate package computed to about $173 a day. If you pay the rack prices for a cruise you can, probably, come close to the cost of an all inclusive resort.

Here's the difference from my experience. The all inclusive resort we stayed at had all the "free" drinks but they were disgusting to taste and were incredibly watered down. Our last cruise we bought the ultimate package and every drink was made correctly and, not at all, watered down.

My take on this while package deal is that I can pay for it, up front, and not worry about my high drink bill on my account when it is presented. To me it is one less thing to worry about when the bill comes. This package is, clearly, not for teetotalers. If you enjoy your drinks when on vacation knowing you don't have to drive, it's a good deal. I don't think I drink to much, but it makes sense to me.

Your not doing the correct A/I resorts, we do Sandals when we do not want to cruise, they pour good drinks and have top shelf and will give you doubles, excellent bartenders, no tipping, great pools, but we like cruising most of the times

Hardly. Two drinks an hour over the course of a 10 hour day and you'd be under the legal limit.

Don't try that in Scotland!! - our limit is low (1/2 of the rest of uk) - even 1 drink (glass of wine) will put you over- A lot of EU is the same

Your not doing the correct A/I resorts, we do Sandals when we do not want to cruise, they pour good drinks and have top shelf and will give you doubles, excellent bartenders, no tipping, great pools, but we like cruising most of the times

You are soooo right. :rolleyes: