To rent a car or not in Kauai?

travelbugforever

I think that you can do WC easily if u drop the beach.

On our way from the WC (mind u, we went up up, after the WC lookout to Kalalau/Pu'u O Kila lookout) our Garmin showed 50 min back to the rental office.

Taking into consideration:

1. On your way at 11AM. 1 h and a half to WC (stretching it).

2. One hour at the lookout (stretching it).

3. 1 h and a half back to rental (stretching it).

4. Worst come to worst, u can take a taxi to pier instead of the shuttle, but they came and went very quickly.

I'd hate it to see u missing such a breathtaking view.

While there, I looked around me - everyone - all ages and colors - was smiling, with a WOW on their face. People were talking with practical strangers, saying "would you believe such a beauty?"

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Lihue+Airport,+3901+Mokulele+Loop,+Lihue,+HI+96766,+United+States/Waimea+Canyon+Lookout,+Waimea,+HI,+United+States/@21.9885479,-159.5810009,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x7c071ef73e6eeffb:0x42589a16936480fb!2m2!1d-159.3437585!2d21.9788489!1m5!1m1!1s0x7c06fffc49c4488b:0xc9d7684e1fb15b94!2m2!1d-159.6616083!2d22.0718055!3e0

Our original plan was to see the WC on the first day, keep the car overnight and "squeeze" the Spouting Horn in the morning of the 2nd day.

After finding out that we can return the car until 8PM, we "checked out" the SH on our way back to pier, and returned the rental the same day. Worth the detour. Also on our way back went through the "Tunnel of trees" which was amazing.

On the 2nd day we took it easy - shuttle to Hilo's Hattie (disappointing) and on our way back the shuttle driver graciously dropped us at Anchor Cove (also disappointing).

Pls. take into account that this is a very port intensive cruise, and if you don't see another chance to get to those places, u make the effort.

We saw the luau at Lahaina the first day in Maui, worth seeing it once, enjoyed it very much, but after the first 4-5 dances, we got the gist and went back early to the ship. Absolutely no regrets that we saw it, but it does get repetitive.

Okay, thank you for all the info! I am sold on seeing WC ( I think:D)! You really made it sound special with everyone loving it. I know I would regret not seeing it. I was in Hawaii 40 years ago and traveled with a friend who could not afford to island hop, so I never got to any other island except

Oahu. I don't have another 40 years to wait again! I will save the google address you posted for the directions. Thank you. They look pretty straight

forward. Another question, where do we line up for the shuttle for the car rental? I plan on being up and out at 10:00am and we will spend the day at WC. You said Anchor Cove was not that special. I think that is the stop for the

beach, correct? How did the beach look? I read there is a stream that flows into the ocean right near the hotel and it can have bacteria-filled water if it has rained much. That is why I am not keen on Kalpaki beach!

I plan on renting the car for one day and going to the evening luau with ship. Day 2, we will get up early and spend the morning at Kalpaki beach. Phew...that was a hard decision, but the right decision to make! Again, so glad you and many others encouraged this decision.:) Looks like we will have enough time.

"Google" says just slightly over 1 hour drive time from port area to WC. So 2 hours total travel time, 1 hour to get car, and hopefully that will be far less. 2 hours to explore at the canyon. You may not need all of that. So that timeframe gets you back at 3:00 pm. Those who keep cars overnight so that they can get a very early start on the second day, even do the canyon on day 2. That might even be more relaxing, and provide more time, than heading out late on day 1 and trying to get back at 3:00. 4 hours day 1, versus 6 hours day 2 with a 6am start.

We have found that if we are in the first several people to get to the shuttle loading area when debark starts that it is a quick process. In our car and gone in about 30 minutes. The time we dawdled getting off, there was a line up, we had just missed the first shuttle, had to wait 20 for the next one and then it filled before we could get on so had to wait for another. Sign up for the membership your company offers to get in the fast lane at the office, and all of you at the front of the line to get off at 10:00 am.

I know you don't want to, but you could keep the car overnight and drive yourselves to the luau if it comes down to it. The tour probably leaves very early in advance of the actual start time. It takes awhile to load and shuttle hundreds of people. I believe there is probably an hour or hour and a half of walk around time at the grounds before it actually starts.

Hope you can work it out.

Thanks for helping with the logistics!;) Good news!!! I have decided to rent a car for WC as it looks like we can do it(:D:D:D), plus make the luau...just need to make sure we are off the ship at 10am. We will do the beach the next day, provided we still have energy to get up and out early...the ship leaves at 2:00 pm. I plan on taking the free shuttle to the beach. Where do you catch it?

I don't recall the OP's plans for the second day, but couldn't you just do the canyon and luau on day 1 and then hit a beach on day 2, even if you just take the shuttle over to Kalapaki? It's only a 10 minute walk or a very short free shuttle ride away.

Yes, you are right! Just wish the beach day could be more relaxed. It's too bad the ship has to leave at 2:00 pm. It's not like another ship needs the berth!:(

POA is the only ship cruising the islands in July and August.

Yes, you are right! Just wish the beach day could be more relaxed. It's too bad the ship has to leave at 2:00 pm. It's not like another ship needs the berth!:(

POA is the only ship cruising the islands in July and August.

They leave at that time so the ship can do the Na Pali coast sail-by before the sun sets; do NOT miss it! I think they're the only ship that does it.

Another question, where do we line up for the shuttle for the car rental? .

There is a stop for ALL rental shuttles just as u get out of the ship, u have to look for the company u rented from, they came and go, when u see it - WAVE!

Sorry, can't help about any beaches - we live a mere 10 min drive from a beautiful Mediterranean beach... so beaches are never in our plans for a cruise -- just interesting sightseeing :)

I looked back at my Radiance cruise live report from 2012 to see what the time was.

• We took the shuttle to the airport to pick up our rental,
  • drove to Waimea Canyon,
  • stopped at the Shrimp Shack in Waimea for lunch,
  • stopped and did the self guided tour at Kauai Coffee,
  • took the car back to the airport
  • took the shuttle back to the ship.

When I look at the times (the time shows up as west coast time for me) it shows we were about done at the Kauai Coffee at 1:45. The next picture I posted was our luggage tags back at the ship and that would have been 4pm Hawaii time.

So if you just wanted to get the car, go see the canyon and catch lunch you should have plenty of time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1706027&page=18

Thanks for helping with the logistics!;) Good news!!! I have decided to rent a car for WC as it looks like we can do it(:D:D:D), plus make the luau...just need to make sure we are off the ship at 10am. We will do the beach the next day, provided we still have energy to get up and out early...the ship leaves at 2:00 pm. I plan on taking the free shuttle to the beach. Where do you catch it?

The free shuttle, I think there are two different ones which basically go to the little shopping areas that front Kalapaki. One may drop of at the shopping across the street. If memory serves they are to the left. Just look for signs directing you to rental shuttles, etc., or ask someone. We never bothered to wait for the shuttle because it's a quick 10min or so walk down the sidewalk to the area. But if one is there......

When you get there, just look for a place to "walk through". I remember crossing the grounds and that small stream you mentioned. As far as run off and bacteria issues, that can happen anywhere. Florida has "red tide". This is nature, not perfect. Our Lake Michigan beaches have the same problem after very heavy rains at times. Just walk away from that area a good distance when you get to the beach.

I think the view from Kalapaki is lovely. It is very clean and there are lots of trees and grass, so you do not not have to sit in the hot sun and sand unless you want to. There is a sidewalk that goes some distance down the beach. We did not actually get in the water when we were there. Because of the shape of the bay, the water is usually very calm. The surf breaks ways out, and you'll see surfers out there. There is equipment rental. Probably a good spot for SUP.

Down the beach a short walk to the left is the Mariott Hotel which has a Dukes beach bar patio looking out over the beach. This is where we spent our time. Excellent place for lunch and drinks. If you have time, walk inside the hotel. There is a wonderful garden in there. It was a botanical garden years ago before the hotel was built. When Mariott built, they wrapped the hotel around the garden, enclosing and preserving it. Nice walkways with ponds, streams, waterfalls, ducks and birds, all sorts of flowering plants and trees.

I don't remember the car shuttle areas being marked with specific companies in the various stalls. There will be a port security person there trying to control the crowd. It is confusing to say the least. Some stalls are for private tour pick up. Just ask each line or group who they are waiting for till you find the people waiting for "Your" company. Otherwise it would be mad chaos when "Budget" pulls up and people run up from all down the length of the stalls, first there or not. Find your line, get in it, and hope for the best.

There is a stop for ALL rental shuttles just as u get out of the ship, u have to look for the company u rented from, they came and go, when u see it - WAVE!

Sorry, can't help about any beaches - we live a mere 10 min drive from a beautiful Mediterranean beach... so beaches are never in our plans for a cruise -- just interesting sightseeing :)

Okay, sounds easy enough. Thank you. :)

From what I have read there is a pretty good show one night on the POA with dancing that rivals the Polynesian Cultural Centers luau dancers. Can anyone chime in. Maybe that would suffice.

Then do some research and find out where to get some good Kalua pork while you are in Honolulu. It really is the best pork bbq we have ever had.

While this sounds good to me, we need to go to a luau! Thank you though.

The free shuttle, I think there are two different ones which basically go to the little shopping areas that front Kalapaki. One may drop of at the shopping across the street. If memory serves they are to the left. Just look for signs directing you to rental shuttles, etc., or ask someone. We never bothered to wait for the shuttle because it's a quick 10min or so walk down the sidewalk to the area. But if one is there......

When you get there, just look for a place to "walk through". I remember crossing the grounds and that small stream you mentioned. As far as run off and bacteria issues, that can happen anywhere. Florida has "red tide". This is nature, not perfect. Our Lake Michigan beaches have the same problem after very heavy rains at times. Just walk away from that area a good distance when you get to the beach.

I think the view from Kalapaki is lovely. It is very clean and there are lots of trees and grass, so you do not not have to sit in the hot sun and sand unless you want to. There is a sidewalk that goes some distance down the beach. We did not actually get in the water when we were there. Because of the shape of the bay, the water is usually very calm. The surf breaks ways out, and you'll see surfers out there. There is equipment rental. Probably a good spot for SUP.

Down the beach a short walk to the left is the Mariott Hotel which has a Dukes beach bar patio looking out over the beach. This is where we spent our time. Excellent place for lunch and drinks. If you have time, walk inside the hotel. There is a wonderful garden in there. It was a botanical garden years ago before the hotel was built. When Mariott built, they wrapped the hotel around the garden, enclosing and preserving it. Nice walkways with ponds, streams, waterfalls, ducks and birds, all sorts of flowering plants and trees.

I don't remember the car shuttle areas being marked with specific companies in the various stalls. There will be a port security person there trying to control the crowd. It is confusing to say the least. Some stalls are for private tour pick up. Just ask each line or group who they are waiting for till you find the people waiting for "Your" company. Otherwise it would be mad chaos when "Budget" pulls up and people run up from all down the length of the stalls, first there or not. Find your line, get in it, and hope for the best.

Thank you so much for all of this valuable information. I do not appreciate

surprises and feel better when I know what to expect.

I am happy you liked Kalapaki Beach. I am looking forward to it, now that you described it so nicely...also looking forward to seeing the garden inside the hotel. I also appreciate trees and shade!

So, sounds a bit hectic lining up to get the car rental shuttle. Thanks for the

heads up.

I have set up our itinerary with lots of help from you and fellow CC people.

I referred to two books I recently purchased, but it really is more valuable to speak to you and CC members for specific info.

I am taking my time deciding on a beach in Maui. We are doing a beach day there and I have to say there are so many choices...which is a good thing.

Thank you again.

I looked back at my Radiance cruise live report from 2012 to see what the time was.

• We took the shuttle to the airport to pick up our rental,
  • drove to Waimea Canyon,
  • stopped at the Shrimp Shack in Waimea for lunch,
  • stopped and did the self guided tour at Kauai Coffee,
  • took the car back to the airport
  • took the shuttle back to the ship.

When I look at the times (the time shows up as west coast time for me) it shows we were about done at the Kauai Coffee at 1:45. The next picture I posted was our luggage tags back at the ship and that would have been 4pm Hawaii time.

So if you just wanted to get the car, go see the canyon and catch lunch you should have plenty of time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1706027&page=18

Wonderful! Thank you for looking this up for me. I am comfortable with this itinerary. If we have time, it would be fun to go to Kuau coffee:D like you did. I'll keep it in mind. So glad you and everyone really loved Waimea Canyon.

I know I would regret not seeing it and will have wonderful pictures to enjoy after seeing it.

I am taking my time deciding on a beach in Maui. We are doing a beach day there and I have to say there are so many choices...which is a good thing.

Thank you again.

Now that you've got it all worked out, I'll be a little devil and throw this out there since you mentioned Maui and beaches.:D

Beautiful Kaanapali Beach, is a short 10 or 15 minutes from the old whaling village of Lahaina where there are many shops and restaurants. Lahaina is also the home of Old Lahaina Luau, one of the most highly rated in the islands. In fact there may be a 2nd one close by Lahaina, also highly rated, Feast at LeLe. Just my opinion, but I would think the experience at either of these two would surpass what you will get at the one offered in Kauai.

Day 1 Mauai, you "could" have a beach day at Kaanapali, head out to Lahaina when you've had your fill of the beach, and shop until time for the luau. No need to worry about what time you get back as it's an overnight. You would probably need to figure out where to freshen up after the beach though as you would not want to drive all the way back to the ship.

Just thought it worth a mention.

Now that you've got it all worked out, I'll be a little devil and throw this out there since you mentioned Maui and beaches.:D

Beautiful Kaanapali Beach, is a short 10 or 15 minutes from the old whaling village of Lahaina where there are many shops and restaurants. Lahaina is also the home of Old Lahaina Luau, one of the most highly rated in the islands. In fact there may be a 2nd one close by Lahaina, also highly rated, Feast at LeLe. Just my opinion, but I would think the experience at either of these two would surpass what you will get at the one offered in Kauai.

Day 1 Mauai, you "could" have a beach day at Kaanapali, head out to Lahaina when you've had your fill of the beach, and shop until time for the luau. No need to worry about what time you get back as it's an overnight. You would probably need to figure out where to freshen up after the beach though as you would not want to drive all the way back to the ship.

Just thought it worth a mention.

Yes, I know about the luau in Lahaina and did consider that. But, we want to return the car on Day 1 and take the easy way out and let the ship excursion driver be responsible for driving us to and from the luau. I know hubby and daughter like to shower onboard before a night out. I also know they need the down time before a night out. Plus, we have an early start on Day 2 in Maui with a ship's excursion. It would be difficult returning the car before the early excursion.

Thank you for your suggestions. Also, thank you for your day to day cruise summary on CC. I read over it quickly and enjoyed it very much. Now, I will go back and revisit it and read over it more carefully. I subscribed to the thread and saved it for future reading.:p

Yes, I know about the luau in Lahaina and did consider that. But, we want to return the car on Day 1 and take the easy way out and let the ship excursion driver be responsible for driving us to and from the luau. I know hubby and daughter like to shower onboard before a night out. I also know they need the down time before a night out. Plus, we have an early start on Day 2 in Maui with a ship's excursion. It would be difficult returning the car before the early excursion.

Thank you for your suggestions. Also, thank you for your day to day cruise summary on CC. I read over it quickly and enjoyed it very much. Now, I will go back and revisit it and read over it more carefully. I subscribed to the thread and saved it for future reading.:p

Thanks, but I think another poster is owed the thanks! I did not post a day to day cruise summary recently:).

Thank you. My concern is the excursion that the ship planned in Oahu gets back to the hotel too late to catch the luau bus. But I will check it out!

Hi, check out Paradise Cove Luau, they start a little later. We booked Pearl Harbor , which gets done at 4:30 and the bus leaves at 4. We are taking a taxi there. We may miss some of the arts & craft show, but the Luau and buffet starts at 8.

have fun

frank

Hi, check out Paradise Cove Luau, they start a little later. We booked Pearl Harbor , which gets done at 4:30 and the bus leaves at 4. We are taking a taxi there. We may miss some of the arts & craft show, but the Luau and buffet starts at 8.

have fun

frank

Thanks, Frank. I looked into that luau and it looked real nice. The ship's excursion to Pearl Harbor is a long day, beginning at 7:30 am and returning to the hotel at 4:30 pm. Paradise Cove picks up to 3:45 pm. I think a round trip taxi could be pricey. I am going to stick with the ship's luau.