Port Etiquette

A few questions about time spent in port:

1. I've seen a lot of references to haggling. Do you haggle in local stores too, or only in outdoor markets and that kind of thing? (Caribbean)

2. If my cruise schedule (on the website booking page) says 4:00 departure, does that mean the boat sails away at 4:00 and you need to be back an hour earlier, or that 4:00 is the latest boarding time and the ship sails at 5:00?

3. What do you do if you do miss your ship?

Depending on the local store you can "haggle":D

When the departure time is 4 the boat WILL LEAVE AT 4!!!:eek:

So the all call, last time to board, is at 3:30.

The ship will leave wheather you are on it or not.

If you miss the ship you can fly to the next port it is going to. There is also a phone number of an emergency phone number to call if you get stranded someplace on the back of the daily guide of activities, so bring that with you off the ship.

1. I've seen a lot of references to haggling. Do you haggle in local stores too, or only in outdoor markets and that kind of thing? (Caribbean)

2. If my cruise schedule (on the website booking page) says 4:00 departure, does that mean the boat sails away at 4:00 and you need to be back an hour earlier, or that 4:00 is the latest boarding time and the ship sails at 5:00?

That's odd. I don't think I've ever seen a mention of "haggling" except this one. You can probably do it most anywhere in the Caribbean, from straw markets to jewelry stores. I'm no good at it. And it makes me uncomfortable. But if there's something you really want, probably more often than not, you can get the price down on most anything by simply stating the price is "too much".

4:00'departure means the ship pulls away from dock at 4:00 sharp. Sometimes it's a few minutes after, but you can't count on it. Passengers should be all aboard 30 minutes prior. Don't cut it too close. I like to be in close proximity a least an hour before departure.

If you miss the ship, you are on your own. Either get yourself to the next port, or get yourself home.

Edited by punkincc

I don't really enjoy haggling but if I want something I think about the price I would be happy with. I start a few dollars below - if I get it great if not whatever. What I have learned is that you cannot haggle too much on things you absolutely must have - too much emotion involved :-)

Has anyone gotten stranded in a foreign port without a passport? You can get on a cruise to a foreign land with a birth certificate, but I doubt you can get a flight to anywhere unless you have a valid passport. What then?

This can happen anywhere, such as if a US citizen abroad has a passport stolen or just lost, for example.

For US citizens, you *WILL* be allowed to return, but proving who you are, that you DO (did) have a passport, etc., will require jumping through extra hoops.

It might mean extending a stay and/or traveling to a distant city in whatever country you are in, so that you can go in person to the US Embassy there.

That could mean missing a flight, or ship, and extra hotel expenses, etc.

It's easier to have a passport with you (and not allow it to get lost or stolen :eek:)

Has anyone gotten stranded in a foreign port without a passport? You can get on a cruise to a foreign land with a birth certificate, but I doubt you can get a flight to anywhere unless you have a valid passport. What then?

What then? Lol you kick yourself for not listening to the posters here that say 2 things over and over...

Travel with a pass port

Buy travel insurance

And fwiw.....I cruise with a freezer type gallon "bug out" bag that I leave in my safe

In it is all my cash credit cards passports etc that I would need if in the unlikely event i had to grab and abandon ship...read about his after Costa Concordia

I have also read of situations where a pax misses the ship.....in some cases....maybe if the pax called the ship and said they are missing it....or has had an accident etc....

That security can and will go to your cabin safe and get your docs for you and leave it with the port agent

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You would need to obtain assistance from the US Consulate/Embassy. The facts and circumstances of each case will dictate "what then"- being overserved at Senor Frogs is different from having a medical emergency. All of this might involve a delay of a few days but you will get home.

We always leave our passports in the ship's safe. Figure we are more likely to lose or have them stolen in port than to miss the ship.

If you know you are going to miss the ship, or it seems a good possibility due to accident, illness, etc., you can call the port agent. The number is always listed on the front page of the Freestyle Daily. I read once that they can be very helpful in retrieving passports and offering advice and assistance. The ship's number is there as well. I always try to remember to take those numbers with me when we go ashore.

I have read posts here about those who were able to fly in these situations with no passport. They say there is extra security and scrutiny involved, but they got on the plane. Probably easy in this computer age to verify the existence of a passport, drivers license or birth certificate. I'm sure every single one of those who gets left behind make it safely home without too much difficulty. Otherwise we'd have heard the horror stories here, and there would be quite a community of Americans on each island who will never see home again.;). I am sure travel insurance would be of great assistance in getting yourself back home, and that's why we always have it.

Edited by punkincc

We watched 2 ladies miss Epic a few years ago. The ship was late departing and we watched as they casually strolled down the pier with lots of shopping bags. Not in a hurry at all.

At some point they realized the ship had left the pier they started running and pointing and yelling to the ship. Security came up to them and someone from the port. One sat on the ground crying and smoking, the other was screaming at the workers trying to help them. We where to far to hear but you could tell by the body language.

I am neurotic about getting back to the ship early. Caribbean roads are bad, one accident can cause major delays. We and many others watch for "runners". You can find the videos on youtube of people missing the boat. The boat will NOT wait for you.

I do believe its a cruise myth that they will go into your safe and leave your passport and money at the pier. Don't plan on it.

You cannot lump all of the Caribbean together. Each island is its own nation with its own customs and ways of doing things. In some like Jamaica and Cozumel haggling is expected and the norm, whereas other places like Grand Cayman, the ABC islands and Martinique it is not a practice that is looked upon favorably.

If the itinerary states a departure time of 4:00 PM, that is when the ship actually leaves. "All aboard" for passengers can vary by cruise line but is typically 30 minutes prior to departure.

There are agents at the ports to assist passengers left behind.

We always leave our passports in the ship's safe. Figure we are more likely to lose or have them stolen in port than to miss the ship.

If you know you are going to miss the ship, or it seems a good possibility due to accident, illness, etc., you can call the port agent. The number is always listed on the front page of the Freestyle Daily. I read once that they can be very helpful in retrieving passports and offering advice and assistance. The ship's number is there as well. I always try to remember to take those numbers with me when we go ashore.

I have read posts here about those who were able to fly in these situations with no passport. They say there is extra security and scrutiny involved, but they got on the plane. Probably easy in this computer age to verify the existence of a passport, drivers license or birth certificate. I'm sure every single one of those who gets left behind make it safely home without too much difficulty. Otherwise we'd have heard the horror stories here, and there would be quite a community of Americans on each island who will never see home again.;). I am sure travel insurance would be of great assistance in getting yourself back home, and that's why we always have it.

This information is so useful, it should be in a sticky at the top of the forum. Thank you for this!

As a precaution we always have color copies of our passports, drivers licenses and birth certificates. It's easy to tuck them in your wallet or purse. So if something happened we would at least have the necessary info.

Both of my children live outside of the US and I have copies of their important documents. They travel often and you never know when a fax from Mom might help.

Edited by kcwingwalker

As a precaution we always have color copies of our passports, drivers licenses and birth certificates. It's easy to tuck them in your wallet or purse. So if something happened we would at least have the necessary info.

Both of my children live outside of the US and I have copies of their important documents. They travel often and you never know when a fax from Mom might help.

I have carried copies of passports as well, but then thought better of it.

Supposedly the black market for stolen passports is huge, perhaps counterfeit ones as well? And identity theft is a huge problem as well. If I lose my purse, I wouldn't want those 3 key documents, passport, DL and birth certificate, even copies of them, in someone else's hands. One has to wonder what someone could accomplish with that info if lost or stolen. So, I now only carry my DL and ship card if in port.

I agree with the earlier suggestion in Cozumel - the way you haggle is to start heading for the door. That seems to drop prices relatively quickly. Also, if in a couple, play good cop-bad cop - this is generally not difficult if one buyer is the wife (good cop) and the other is the long-suffering husband.

A 4pm departure means the ship leaves at 4pm. Be back early. In fact, the only thing that will stop my wife's shopping is the fear of missing the ship.

If you miss the ship, I can just repeat what one Captain said in the morning announcements - Get your camera out, because you will never get a better shot of the ship than when it is sailing away.

All other comments on the port agent apply.

I have carried copies of passports as well, but then thought better of it.

Supposedly the black market for stolen passports is huge, perhaps counterfeit ones as well? And identity theft is a huge problem as well. If I lose my purse, I wouldn't want those 3 key documents, passport, DL and birth certificate, even copies of them, in someone else's hands. One has to wonder what someone could accomplish with that info if lost or stolen. So, I now only carry my DL and ship card if in port.

One of the great suggestions that I read about on here was to take a picture of your passport/ID/paperwork, email it to yourself and save it. That way you can pull it up anywhere with internet.

One of the great suggestions that I read about on here was to take a picture of your passport/ID/paperwork, email it to yourself and save it. That way you can pull it up anywhere with internet.

Heck in this day and age, you can take a picture of your passport/ID/paperwork with your phone and have it at your finger tips to pull up. You can also email it to yourself that way too. In this case, all you'd have to do is remember to take your phone with you.

I keep an e-copy of passports, driver's licenses, and medications (printed from our HMO's web site) on my ipad.

Remember the names they sometimes call when we are all sitting around on deck or in a bar waiting for the ship to leave? Well, those are the people who haven't made it back in time.

The ship usually notifies the port agent and security, and if possible, will go to the cabin and get passports to hand off.

The port agent will assist in getting a flight to the next port, if possible.

I ALWAYS carry our passports in a neck purse with an unbreakable cord. I just tuck it under my clothes. I ALWAYS carry an extra credit card, too, with a high credit limit.

If I ever miss the ship, I want to arrange a flight, get a hotel, and go get a drink and watch the sunset.

I have cruised for 43 years and never missed the ship, but it helps to be prepared.

Oh, and having a cell phone that works in that country helps, too.

Heck in this day and age, you can take a picture of your passport/ID/paperwork with your phone and have it at your finger tips to pull up. You can also email it to yourself that way too. In this case, all you'd have to do is remember to take your phone with you.

Little seems foolproof these days. Emails are being hacked right and left. I know someone who got an email from his "boss" saying he was in a pinch and needed $30,000 for a "client". Luckily, the guy was on the phone with his boss at the time, and they soon discovered the hack. Not that he had access to $30k and would have fallen for it anyway, but the stories are all over the place. And it is just not that they "know" your email address. They are literally reading everything you send and is sent to you. So unless you know your emails are very secure, I'd be careful what info I put into them. The stories of email hacks are all over now. And what if you lose your phone with sensitive pictures on it. Maybe there are ways to secure them. Not up on the technology, so I won't do this.

Edited by punkincc

You can also get a "passport card" now, when you renew your passport. My thinking was to carry the card when going on shore, since it will take less damage from getting wet, and would be much less of a pain in the rear if you lost it (as opposed to losing the whole passport).

Edited by Wannabe New Yorker