Norwegian to no longer offer UBP as of May 1st??

keeponcruising

The online agent sent a deceptive email with this:

"NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

BIG NEWS!!!

As of May the Free Beverage Package will no longer be offered as a free perk. Get yours now!"

To me they make it appear that they have information that it is going away.

You are inferring that. They know what we know. The current offer is set to expire soon. It is called marketing on the agents part. When you get that envelope in the mail that says 'very important open immediately' do you eagerly open it or do you throw it away like most people who realize that it is junk mail? ;)

When these free perks were introduced I rebooked at the same fare, and received ubp for two including grats, soda for the rest in the stateroom, udp for everyone in stateroom (not just the 1st 2), and $200 per week extra obc for med sailing. The original booking was chocolate strawberries as a perk. I know many reported at the time that fares also went up but mine didn't. Looks to me like fares have gone up a bit since then, but there's still deals to be had here and there, except for suites.

The package perk costs have gradually gone up and what you get has gradually gone down but they did start including them for inside staterooms, originally not. The perks usually last longer than they say they will but eventually change to something less valuable or to a lesser range of rooms.

I can easily see them tweaking offers depending on how a sailing is selling. Can also see the value getting less and less, which is what's happened to date, and not really something that bothers me much. They should be making a little more profit on the beverage packages. Makes those who don't want it not feel so bad that they got a few internet mins instead.

Alcohol sales are a big part of ships profit. They're going to do what they can to make as much as possible. Not everyone drinks but if everyone pays for the drinks NCL wins. Hopefully NCL will find the happy medium where they are attracting both lite, non and the heavy drinker. I don't want to pay for an AI party boat.

With the recent cutbacks in wine offerings along with an increase in cost, I highly doubt at this point they're moving toward any resemblance of a ultimate beverage package that would include speciality coffees ... Like celebrity has. I was hoping they would go in that direction. I think it's a great idea because at the rate it's going now more and more will opt out of the package figuring it's just too much to pay. Throw some free coffees in the mix and they could possibly keep a lite drinker picking the perk.

It may go away for a short while but likely will be back. If you read NCL's annual report, they are proud of their new strategy of offering perks and lower prices to book as early as possible vs the old practice of dropping prices closer to the sailing date. Perks in some form are here to stay until they change their strategy.

I wish it would go away permanently and we could just get a great low price for our cruises.

I've yet to see the increases others speak of, including the cruises we've booked in the past few months. Since I'm one who used to purchase the UBP, I enjoy that I'm paying a lower base fare AND getting UBP as a promo. It's a double win!

Edited by LrgPizza

I've yet to see the increases others speak of, including the cruises we've booked in the past few months. Since I'm one who used to purchase the UBP, I enjoy that I'm paying a lower base fare AND getting UBP as a promo. It's a double win!

I'm with you! I was actually planning on purchasing the UDP until I found out it was a perk. Win, win!

Hmmmm.....May 2014 Jewel SE forward penthouse 9 day $5500 with $800 OBC. September 2017 Jewel SE forward penthouse (same room) 10 day $9250 with $300 and worthless perks....no price increase at all......:confused:

At least your posts are consistent LrgPizza....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm.....May 2014 Jewel SE forward penthouse 9 day $5500 with $800 OBC. September 2017 Jewel SE forward penthouse (same room) 10 day $9250 with $300 and worthless perks....no price increase at all......:confused:

At least your posts are consistent LrgPizza....:rolleyes:

Hmm...

Nov 2014, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,749 pp, $300 OBC per cabin.

Apr 2016, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,749 pp, free UBP, UDP, free DSC, Shorex.

Apr 2017, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,899 pp, free UBP, SDP, Shorex, Internet

One's experience does not speak for all.

Edited by triptolemus

Hmm...

Nov 2014, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,749 pp, $300 OBC per cabin.

Apr 2016, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,749 pp, free UBP, UDP, free DSC, Shorex.

Apr 2017, 7 days Jewel SF, $1,899 pp, free UBP, SDP, Shorex, Internet

One's experience does not speak for all.

On neither side of the argument. A lot depends on when you can sail, when you book, how you book, etc. (As an FYI, do your prices include the gratuity or must that be added in? I know that I would consider that to be part of the fare since it's added in and must be paid by final payment.)

On neither side of the argument. A lot depends on when you can sail, when you book, how you book, etc. (As an FYI, do your prices include the gratuity or must that be added in? I know that I would consider that to be part of the fare since it's added in and must be paid by final payment.)

Suites have never paid extra service charges for promo packages.

The gratuity is not charged for suite/Haven bookings.

Regardless, we have to speak in terms of apples-to-apples. The easiest way to do that is to look at FARE. Obviously, the gratuities are an additional COST of the cruise, but it isn't fair to say it's part of the fare (see what I did there). Remember, too, that you can decline the promos which results in zero additional cost.

The gratuity is not charged for suite/Haven bookings.

Regardless, we have to speak in terms of apples-to-apples. The easiest way to do that is to look at FARE. Obviously, the gratuities are an additional COST of the cruise, but it isn't fair to say it's part of the fare (see what I did there). Remember, too, that you can decline the promos which results in zero additional cost.

Got that suites are different, forgot that piece (since we don't sail in them). If I have to pay it at final payment date it's part of the fare to me and that's the number I use when comparing an NCL cruise to another cruise. I recognize that we look at it differently and that's cool.

I've not seen much difference neither.

October 2013 Epic TA 13 nights, B6 balcony £1480 for 3, $150 OBC

October 2014 Epic TA 14 nights, mini suite £1520 for 3, $100 OBC

October 2015 Escape TA 10 nights, Balcony £1490 for 3, $50 OBC & UBP

October 2016 Epic TA 13 nights, B6 balcony £1510 for 3, UBP & SDP

If anything slightly better in the UK

Edited by sha32

It wouldn't surprise me' date=' but that doesn't mean it won't be back on a future promo. They are probably having trouble using it as a perk now that they only want to give it to the first 2 adults in the cabin (which goes directly against their original policy of "if one person in the cabin has it, everyone has to have it" to prevent "sharing").[/quote']

Also because it would have cost us around $200 in tips to get this free package.

We don't drink $200 on a cruise but if they gave the tips away for free like they used to I would take the package and still not drink $200 worth. Lol

I'm sure NCL will keep the "free" UBP one way or another. Maybe FDR will implement a new "Free drinks" promo with a $79/day service charge.

Or they won't change the free ubp promo at all....

But say they are

Because bookings are low perhaps?

And they want to encourage pax to book who are undecided perhaps?

It's like a store that has a going out of business sign up for 2 years. They keep extending the deadline when business picks up....because of the sign on the door.

Ncl is so obvious it's pathetic....now I wouldn't feel this way if Ncl had not implemented the changes they have recently.

But alas....it's a public Corp catering to stockholders ....for profits....which is the way it should be.....always.

Edited by luvtheships

I've not seen much difference neither.

October 2013 Epic TA 13 nights, B6 balcony £1480 for 3, $150 OBC

October 2014 Epic TA 14 nights, mini suite £1520 for 3, $100 OBC

October 2015 Escape TA 10 nights, Balcony £1490 for 3, $50 OBC & UBP

October 2016 Epic TA 13 nights, B6 balcony £1510 for 3, UBP & SDP

If anything slightly better in the UK

Our last TA on the Star in 2014 was less than $700 pp for a balcony. Prices are higher now on the cruises that I have been looking for.

It's just the Sky that's gone all inclusive, not the Star, unless that's brand new news.

Star isn't all inclusive. Sky is.

No, no new news. I just had the ships confused. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I knew there was a Star. Haha!