The secret to not getting sick from a cruise is...

I've been on 35 cruises and the sad truth is that a lot of the time I've come home with a head cold, the flu, or a sinus infection. But on my recent cruise on Anthem Of The Seas, I came home 100% healthy... and I think I know why.

So, what's the secret to coming home healthy from a cruise? A lot of people think it's all about washing your hands. But the truth is, it's not so much about washing YOUR hands... it's about getting everyone else to wash THEIR hands!

Take a look at this video I put together to show what Royal Caribbean's done to make sure that you don't get sick when you cruise on Anthem Of The Seas.

[YOUTUBE]hMzZjfriEZA[/YOUTUBE]

Great video Spaniel Lover.

The woman at 26 seconds in the video totally rubs/wipes her nose with her hand. I hope she washed her hands again, but I doubt it.;) There was also the guy who rubbed his head with wet paper to towards the end of the video.:eek:

Edit: I love the comment about not having that much to say after so many years of marriage. To funny.

Edited by A&L_Ont

To me as an Australian your accent sounds like one of those men who narrate docos about National Parks etc! You sound very professional!

Yes that new hand wash feature will really help for sure - but colds are also spread when people sneeze or cough near you.

The hand washing though will have a more positive effect on stopping Noro than colds I would think.

We sailed on 3 different cruises & 2 tours back to back in 2013 totalling 7 weeks in constant contact with large numbers of other people, yet didn't contract even a sniffle until the last week heading home to Sydney.

So far I have never had Noro although hubby had it in Morocco one time - they are very filthy by our standards with their food there though, so no surprise. But on the ships we take extra care to wash hands well, & do things like not leave our cutlery on the Windjammer table then place it in our mouth, not using our hands to eat food etc.

I always throw away the corner of a piece of toast or the bottom of an ice cream cone that I had to handle, as who knows what nasties I picked up just touching the tongs that hundreds before had touched after coughing on their hand. So far so good, so maybe the extra caution we take whilst cruising has helped! :)

Try not to get hot outside and walk back into a chilly ship without a snug cover-up. Becoming chilled lowers your resistance and is especially bad about causing a nasal infection which can develop into bronchitis according to my doctor.

Knock on Wood ... Following his advice has worked for me for the past three years. Before, I always came home sick.

LuLu

I've been on 35 cruises and the sad truth is that a lot of the time I've come home with a head cold, the flu, or a sinus infection. But on my recent cruise on Anthem Of The Seas, I came home 100% healthy... and I think I know why.

So, what's the secret to coming home healthy from a cruise? A lot of people think it's all about washing your hands. But the truth is, it's not so much about washing YOUR hands... it's about getting everyone else to wash THEIR hands!

Take a look at this video I put together to show what Royal Caribbean's done to make sure that you don't get sick when you cruise on Anthem Of The Seas.

I think it's hysterical that in the first minute or so there's a woman that walks by the camera and wipes her nose with her hand.

Then in the wash room, there's a guy that washes his hands and then afterwards wipes down his head before walking out!

...do things like not leave our cutlery on the Windjammer table then place it in our mouth, not using our hands to eat food etc.

I always throw away the corner of a piece of toast or the bottom of an ice cream cone that I had to handle

Ha ha we do that too. I usually take an extra napkin and make a little placemat for my stuff.

It's always the same people getting sick all the time. Hand sanitizer all the time and paranoid of germs. I have never came home sick from a cruise in over 35 . Yes I wash my hands a few times but germs build up your immune system. When you kill them all 20 x a day you get sick all time. It's kinda like drinking diet soda to eat less calories. It doesn't work that way.

It's always the same people getting sick all the time. Hand sanitizer all the time and paranoid of germs. .

This^

Over-sanitizing is a huge problem. It's funny because people get sick, and then they generate an obsession with sanitizing, which causes them to get more sick, and then they feel they need to sanitize even more.

I work in a very germ infested environment. If I knowingly touch something gross (ie: someone else's blood or saliva) I will sanitize. Otherwise, I don't. I never get sick.

Now with all this being said, I sanitize all the time on the ship mostly just because of social pressure.

Edited by Smitty815

I didn't put much thought into it until now but I also came home with a head cold from our last cruise before Anthem, but was perfectly fine after the same cruise you were on, except for that 15 lb weight gain.

Comparing the two, the only real difference I could think of is this wash station your highlighting.

We don't use a single germ killing product in our home & we live on a farm with animal faeces to clean up, injections to give, hands in soil etc etc!

But on the ship I always think it's common sense to just be aware of how taking a few simple precautions like not eating your food with your hands if possible etc can contribute to keeping you healthy.

Colds though having nothing to do with your own personal hygiene & more to do with your immune system at the time & previous exposure to a particular strain of cold/flu etc that has given you immunity. But you can't control being in a lift with someone sneezing & coughing. In fact every time I have had a cold on a ship I can recall such a person sharing the joy a few days prior!

I didn't put much thought into it until now but I also came home with a head cold from our last cruise before Anthem, but was perfectly fine after the same cruise you were on, except for that 15 lb weight gain.

Comparing the two, the only real difference I could think of is this wash station your highlighting.

Wow 15lb's, that is nearly 7kg! That would freak me out if I gained that much.

Maybe all those new dining options on Quantum class can be a little dangerous - I'll have to keep that in mind.

Hope you manage to lose it all OK. :)

Long before all of the antibacterial hysteria had set-in, people were cruising without much different outcomes.

Since the anti-bacterial craze, we're creating super viruses and new strains of insects.

Just last night there was an article on the news about bed bugs and how they have become immune to insecticides with thicker shell.

The point is that practicing good hygiene is extremely important, but the over use of anti-bacterial products and over washing and cleaning along with over use of insecticides and lack of exposure to germs causes lack of defense against viruses and the creation of super viruses as these strains adapt to our defenses.

Don't go crazy, but be smart. Wash your hands when you go to the bathroom, don't over do it with the Purell and anti-bacterial soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Overtyme

6 sink for the whole ship?

I think the famous " washy washy" ladies in front of the windjammer give you 2 shots of hand sanitizer is more effective since it's already in your hand and you will rub your hands. Now, making a line when the windjammer is super busy to wash their hands I wonder how many people will fake washing their hands because they just want to eat.

In the video I saw people touching their hair, nose and even their eyes. Also a guy with a handbag that is might be full of germ while he is picking food.

There are 4 type of specific immunity which keep up disease free. I believe washing your hands is important but finding a way to increase your immune system is significant as well. I'm not a doctor and I don't intend to give you medical advice but I remember was I was taught in my immunity class.

I am a hand washer, in any restaurant anywhere that doesn't have a tablecloth, I ask for an extra napkin to out my utensils on.

I never think about sanitizing the remote, phone, etc., in a cruise cabin or hotel. I never come home from either of those with a cold. Every time I fly, I do. I got on a plane to Frankfurt once bright eyed and bushy tailed, and got off sick as a dog with a cold. I wanted to go home to my own bed. Luckily we found an apothecary with German OTC miracle stuff. Spent a lively two weeks, flew home and was sick.

Cruises and hotels good, airplanes bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

6 sink for the whole ship?

No. Six on the port side entrance to the Windjammer, and six on the starboard side entrance. And that, of course, is just for the Windjammer. Other restaurants, such as the Solarium Bistro, have a sink at their entrance, too.