Norwegian Newbie - What to Know

taffy12

Yes, yes, I will be taking my 15th cruise in less than a month...but it will be my first on Norwegian! Besides the obvious, what should this frequenter of Carnival and Royal Caribbean know about NCL?

I haven't had an opportunity to cruise on RCL but I have on CCL. The biggest difference to me was that NCL had more options for things to do at night and by far the shows were better on NCL.

NCL puts on a better show when embarking and have a party atmosphere along with cold towels when you are getting back onboard after a port day.

NCL doesn't seem to have servers approaching you numerous times asking if you want a drink.

Buffets were better on NCL.

CCL does have bigger rooms.

Yes, yes, I will be taking my 15th cruise in less than a month...but it will be my first on Norwegian! Besides the obvious, what should this frequenter of Carnival and Royal Caribbean know about NCL?

I was on the Jade last week (and will be on the Escape in September) and I think the differences you will see will be in the food (more options) and the entertainment (I think better, but that is a matter of taste).

I would recommend getting one of the dining packages, just to try out the various restaurants. Cagney's and La Cucina (the Italian restaurant) were great.

They have a spa package for around $129 if purchased before you board that is very much worth the price.

Breakfast in the dining rooms on NCL is a good choice and try out the Blue Lagoon for buffalo wings or fish and chips.

There are no self service laundries on the ship and they don't serve Coke products, but other than that, you are going have a great vacation on the Escape.

I also found more of a hard sell technique onboard NCL ships. They really push the buy buy buy. The first day it is tough to even find a lounge without them selling something in it. There were some aggressive selling on some Ncl ships I've been on. Otherwise, dining area refused shirts unlike Carnival. RCCL has more relaxing areas and more activities. NCL has more parties. Carnival I thought had better food but I dislike the dancing in the tables at dinner. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I also found more of a hard sell technique onboard NCL ships. They really push the buy buy buy. The first day it is tough to even find a lounge without them selling something in it. There were some aggressive selling on some Ncl ships I've been on. Otherwise, dining area refused shirts unlike Carnival. RCCL has more relaxing areas and more activities. NCL has more parties. Carnival I thought had better food but I dislike the dancing in the tables at dinner. IMHO.

Topless dining??? [emoji15]

With NCL, you can bring bottled water and soda on-board. There's no fee to bring on-board. I usually stop off at a grocery store or gas station near the port and buy water and soda (DH loves Coke and will not drink Pepsi). I usually bring an extra gym bag and load the water and soda into it. I've heard of some people just putting a luggage tag with their name on the case of water and it will make it to your room along with your luggage.

I like the dress code on NCL. They have "dress up or not" nights -- sometimes I dress up, but some trips I just want to be causal and I never feel out of place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

buy, buy, buy - what exactly?

buy, buy, buy - what exactly?

Stuff in the shopping district (jewelry etc), services (spa, photos etc), drink and dining packages, specialty dining and stuff like illusionarium, shore excursions, art auctions, paid activities like bingo, more spa services, Internet service, etc. There are also lots of "free" seminars designed to sell you something at the end, but that seems true on every line.

I actually felt more "hard" sell on Celebrity than NCL, but that's just me. Celebrity also has insane pricing for their speciality restaurants so they have to push (and discount ) hard.

Spa pass on this ship is $199, $179 if purchased in advance. You can bring on unlimited bottle of wine, paying $15 each, even if you drink it in your cabin.

Hello...I was looking for the spa pass and online, for the NCL Star is 119$ pp...Is the fee diferent from ship to ship? Thanks!

Edited by framboesa